BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Navi Update

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  jerrykur 
#1 · (Edited)
I dropped off my car to the dealership to do the trunk kick software update and there was also a map update for the navi. Ill post up the bulletin number if its printed on the receipt. Dont forget to unlock the glove compartment since they need the USB port.

"SIB 65-22-12 NAV MAP UPDATE"

Old Navi Version: 112111.2.18
New Navi Version: 112121.2.18 (2013-1A)

#2 ·
How much are you paying for it? When I had my '09, I would keep getting emails trying to sell me nav updates for $249.

My thinking is, since I am paying $3,000 for the tech package including navigation to start with, I should get the damn updates for free.

#3 ·
By the way, I am getting a '13 with nav. Does anyone know whether there has been any improvement in routing in the OEM Nav during the past four years?

Also--I read something about a "gray market nav upgrade solution". Can anyone point me in the right direction for that?

#11 ·
Also--I read something about a "gray market nav upgrade solution". Can anyone point me in the right direction for that?
There is a thread on another forum that is referenced in this Bimmerfest thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664494&highlight=amazon. My post is #3: "The total cost, including $19.99 for a Sandisk 32GB flash drive from Amazon Prime, was MUCH less than $245.00."

To add to that, the actual data can be sourced for free or very little. It's the code that is required that can be expensive, depending on how you obtain it.

#5 ·
I just got my 2012 335i with Nav. I have to say that it is a POS compared to a $200 Garmin. I assume that I have the latest maps. One stupid thing is that when you want to find a restaurant all it does is put a "icon" all over your map. No name no phone etc. The Garmins that I have had, give you all of them in your area, the name the phone.

#6 ·
Did you try using the My BMW app on iPhone and sending addresses from that straight to your car's nav? I was afraid it would be bad for searches compared to an average smart phone. I just hope it does its basic function well and that is guide to a destination.

#8 ·
With the Nav, can you save your favorite destinations for re-use? I know that you can send addressed via Google Maps (which I will use a lot) and have read that they show up as info messages. With my Garmin, I can save the destinations I look up as favorites, and even create folders for organization. I use my Garmin mostly when I'm out of town, so I create folders for each city, but there are default folders for catagories like Entertainment, Transportation, etc. Just wondering if the BMW nav has this functionality to save destinations and arrange them.

#9 ·
Just wondering if the BMW nav has this functionality to save destinations and arrange them.
Store, yes; organize, no. Destinations can be stored as contacts in the vehicle. You can't create folders and sub-lists. An icon alongside each entry in the Contacts list tells you whether the contact is stored in the car or a paired phone.

#16 ·
I find that the nav makes some odd route choices. I only notice this locally in familiar areas, but it will try to send me to a smaller road to make a left onto a major road where there is no traffic light rather than a slightly shorter distance on a road where there is a traffic light for the left.

As for the traffic - I learned that it can be surprisingly accurate. It was warning me of an issue which I opted to ignore as the road looked clear & Iwas only a mile from my destination with no great alternate routes. I was watching for the spot of the warning, didn't see an accident or anything, then realized that the traffic light was out (as I was cruising under it!).

#17 ·
I am very happy with my Nav unit. I love it's integration with the HUD. It does a great job and the traffic seems very accurate. My only complaint is that the traffic does not have different icons for slow versus stop and go versus accidents.

I have a Nuvi in my other car and the traffic integration in my unit is poor. It shows an icon for traffic but you have to go to a separate screen to see the traffic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.