BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Formula 1 2012 Season <<<SPOILER>>>

55K views 293 replies 12 participants last post by  jonathan2263 
#1 ·
This thread tapered off this season, I think do to the monotonous inevitability at the end of the season. Macca was coming on strong, but it was too little too late. Hope there's better competition in 2012.

The big news, Kimi's back. There'll be 6 WDC's on the grid next year. Hope it makes for some good wheel to wheel racing at the front half of the race.

And as always...GO REDS!

#7 ·
#8 ·
http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7381315/Di-Resta-Hulkenberg-Name-FI-Drivers

So with Force India and STR naming their drivers this week, doesn't that leave just one open seat at Williams? And now the question becomes, who's got more money, Petrov or Sutil ? I'm still betting Petrov gets the seat.

Glad to see Hulk back in a race seat, and at a reasonably competitive team. Hope he can shine and eventually get into a front runner. I think he's got what it takes.

#10 ·
Bernie should STFU ! Seems like he doesn't want F1 to succeed in North America. He wants to keep going to places like China and Bahrain, where the money is endless and the fans practically non existent.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7388012/Alonso-Ferrari-Want-To-Taste-Success

Alonso talking about changes to the suspension. I bet that means they're going to a pull rod rear just like Redbull and McLaren. Not really all that risky, sort of two years behind.

#20 ·
Sorry, I was "asleep at the wheel," so to speak. Also, glad you're back Patrick. Refreshing.

#23 ·
They're close friends (alonso was the only driver to visit Kubica after his rally crash in the hospital) so it's not surprising he would say that.

I wish him all the best, and would like to see him come back to his former level, but I wonder if he'll ever regain the dexterity you need to operate an F1 steering wheel again. I remember seeing some on-board footage once of Robert driving the BMW. For an entire lap, his fingers never rested, he was shifting, turning dials, pressing buttons, etc. The amount of activity was incredible, and that was a few years ago. I would imagine it gets harder every year.

I think we just need to wait and see what he can do. If there was permanent nerve damage, I fear his F1 career could be finished.

#26 ·
Yup, sorry to see Rubens go, but all things must come to an end.

But Senna? I'm sorry, but all he's got is money and a famous name. Williams needs a driver with much more talent, and the experience to develop the car, if they expect to ever drag themselves out of the basement. I think they're going to find it hard to stay ahead of Caterham this year.

#27 ·
Yup, sorry to see Rubens go, but all things must come to an end.

But Senna? I'm sorry, but all he's got is money and a famous name. Williams needs a driver with much more talent, and the experience to develop the car, if they expect to ever drag themselves out of the basement. I think they're going to find it hard to stay ahead of Caterham this year.
Harsh words, let's give Senna a chance. The only top driver that got into F1 without major backing in recent years is maybe Kubica, that's all.

#29 ·
Yeah, those high side pods with the wings in front of them are pretty interesting. They're also finally going with a pull rod rear. I suspected they would, but with the changes to diffuser regulations, I wonder how much that matters now.

#32 ·
#33 ·
I agree but that's a big IF. IMHO he's had some pretty scary crashes and he bounced right back so I think if he physically is ok then he will be back. It's very nice of Ferrari putting faith in him I do know him and Alonso are very good friends that could have something to do with it.

#36 ·
I think the side pod openings, and the fact that they've gone away from the u-shaped side pod is pretty interesting. Certainly not a very "revolutionary" looking car, but good looking none the less. I like how there is no diffuser on it for the photo shoot.

Meanwhile, snow delayed the Ferrari intro and it will be online tomorrow. I get the feeling that of the front runners, Ferrari's 2012 challenger will be the biggest departure from their previous car. God knows, they need it.

#38 ·
The Ferrari looks very cool IMHO not pretty or beautiful but very to the point and purposeful. Here are some shots of it.

Attachments

#39 · (Edited)
I'd say, from the sidepods back, it's a good looking car, but I think that nose is aweful. But if it's fast, I can get used to it. And I wish they had kept the red, white and green stripe on the back of the wing.

#43 ·
The RB8 and E20 look to be the most elegant solutions to the step nose. Ferraris may be so extreme because they're using a pull rod front. Sounds daring... Time will tell.

Macca today said the car they unveiled isn't what it will look like at the first test, let alone Melbourne. They're still trying to hide some stuff.

Interestingly, from what I can tell, Sauber is the only team that's allowed their diffuser to be photographed. Wonder if it's the real diffuser and they just don't care, or it's a fake?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.