BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

07 530i jerk forward when coming to a stop Please HELP

44K views 94 replies 24 participants last post by  jfichera 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new on this forum and try doing a search for this as well but ended up with no answer to my question.

I just got a 2007 530i and notice that when I'm driving the car and coming to a red light or stop the car jerks forward a little right before I stop? I had seen some people with this problem but has anyone gotten it taken care of and what had to be done or replace for this problem to go away ? Any help will be great ! :dunno:
THANKS
John

This post has been deleted
#54 ·
My 07 550i seems to just be really eager when im at lights or stop signs. Like you can feel the car kinda tugging at the brakes and the second you let go of the brake the thing just takes off with some authority. Is this similar to the surging issue? Or is it the surging issue?

#56 ·
Wannabex5: it seems like a torque converter issue, I've seen them go bad in vehicles with your transmission. But, it may worth it to update the software and clear adaptations first.

Schpenxel: the original I-level was from 2007, the car was never updated. I updated the whole car, not just the EGS

#57 · (Edited)
Schpenxel: the original I-level was from 2007, the car was never updated. I updated the whole car, not just the EGS
Thanks--the reason I ask is I THINK mine has been updated since being built in late 2003, but I am not sure when the last update was done, and I'm not sure at what version/release date these types of issues are supposed to be resolved software wise.

I've also had a cold rough idle issue that I've heard software updates will help in some cases, so this may be worth me taking the time/money to do.

Any estimates on how much something like this costs? I have read so many horror stories of BMW dealerships frying computers during updates (outside of warranty) that it almost scares me to even let them try it. Of course people don't get on the internet and complain about it when it goes correctly though, so it's hard to tell what my odds are.

edit: If I remember correctly, the programming date on mine is actually 2006 or 2007, so I am probably around the same level as was fixed by an update.

#58 ·
If your e60 has a build date in 2003, then you have an m54 engine. I highly doubt that a software update will fix your cold rough idle problem. I know at my dealer the customer doesn't pay for fried control units due to failed programming, it's not their fault nor is it ours... It's BMW's software. These control units usually get goodwilled... But every dealer is different, it's up to them who pays for it

#59 ·
Hi all just a update. I have gotten my car back for BMWOEM1 for about a week now and everything back in working order. No more jerk when coming to a stop. Very nice person to deal with and knows a lot about BMW, if anyone having the same problem i was going threw and near the nyc area i would recommend you to him. Thanks again !

#61 ·
I was thinking you had a 530i for some reason.... Since you have a 545i, that's a different story... That rough cold start idle is usually due to your minimum valve lift adjustment. It's set at 0.3mm from factory. I set it 0.8 and raise the idle about 50 rpm when I come across this complaint.... You would need a bmw dealer scan tool to do it... Not sure about the aftermarket stuff

#63 ·
Heck yeah, that gives me hope anyways! Thank you for the advice.

I have seen adjustments for this in INPA, but am unsure if they are something that stay set after you exit or not. I raised my idle speed slightly the other day and it didn't store the new setting after I turned the car off

I have a copy of ISTA/D and ISTA/P using an ICOM emulator. ISTA/D works great. ISTA/P locks up the iDrive screen every time I try to use it. I have to pull the battery cable to get it to reset, so I'm not going to give that one another shot.

I need to do some reading as to whether I can do this adjustment in ISTA/D or not. Do you happen to know, or are you guys using different software now?

#67 · (Edited)
INPA shows it as already set to .799, so I assume that's the same thing as .8

:(

I'm waiting on ISTA/D right now. The bad thing about using the emulator is it's slow as heck. If I could at least raise my idle speed permanently to a little higher, that would be cool. It's at 500 now I believe.

#69 · (Edited)
While I have a little of your attention.. any idea what these mean?

Am I reading these correctly that the activation output for bank 2 for example being almost at 0 shouldn't have an "Actual value" of basically maxed out? I am assuming this is for the VANOS system.

Not sure if VANOS seals could help here? I was thinking there would be an error code if it was doing something whacky though, which it doesn't have.. so maybe I'm reading this page wrong.

Or maybe it's backwards from what I'm thinking, meaning it's working correctly :)

Attachments

#70 ·
Yes, this is for your Vanos system. From what I can see, everything is working fine... The input and output are for intake and exhaust camshafts. For intake, the adjustment angle (grad) increases with % because the camshaft can only advance due to Vanos gear design. The opposite is true for the exhaust, because Vanos unit can only retard when the solenoid activates. So what you are seeing is percentage of Vanos solenoid activation (pulse width) versus camshaft movement via the camshaft sensors, the intake/exhaust adjust in opposite directions.

#71 ·
Thanks.. I logged everything I could keep my eyes on this morning when I started it, and of course it ran perfect, lol

There was only one thing that looked a little funny--there are two readings for coolant temperature. I think one is coolant temperature and one is coolant outlet temperature? One showed the corred ~100*C temperature, the other always stayed at 7.5*C.

I'll post a picture a bit later. I'm not sure if it's just a reading on a sensor my car doesn't have or if it's really an invalid reading. There's no telling on this thing!

#73 ·
Gotcha. Yeah I went out at lunch and they made a bit more sense now that it's warmed up a bit. I can't remember the numbers offhand, but I remember thinking it was a 40-50*F difference between the two. I assume one is engine temperature and one is post-radiator (coldest point) temperature or something along those lines?

I was able to get INPA open this morning to see if anything weird was visible, but of course it ran fine this morning.. guess I shouldn't complain!

#74 ·
hi im having this same issue with a 2007 525xi i just bought from a family friend. Accoriding to him, he didnt realize the issue but as soon as i got behind the wheel i realized some jerking motions as i was slowing down getting back into 1st gear. you mentioned bmwoem1 fixed your problem, i live in brooklyn and would love to how if u have any contact information or a location. thank you so much for your help. by the way has your car ever had a problem with the jerking again?

#77 ·
Hi all, I'm new on this forum and try doing a search for this as well but ended up with no answer to my question.

I just got a 2007 530i and notice that when I'm driving the car and coming to a red light or stop the car jerks forward a little right before I stop? I had seen some people with this problem but has anyone gotten it taken care of and what had to be done or replace for this problem to go away ? Any help will be great ! :dunno:
THANKS
John
Same issue with the exact same car and yr

#80 ·
I had same issue, replaced mech adapter and sleeve, as well as pan filter and fluid. Problem continued. Also would go into safe mode when getting on the gas. Replaced transmission. Tried every alternative, sorry boys, start saving up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.