BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Crashed my car!!!!!

15K views 129 replies 58 participants last post by  bertbert2oo6 
#1 · (Edited)
My first crash ever - in 26 years of driving - and it was my stupid fault - technically anyway.

But he could have avoided me - plenty of room - if he had looking - and a congested intersection with a truck blocking part of it - and he was flying - and on his cell.
But - still my fault - technically:mad:

Attachments

See less See more
#77 ·
motor_werke said:
He was hit from the side while he was stationary. Thus, deploying the airbags wouldnt do much good. I'm guessing it is not a malfunction, but instead the computer realized airbags were not needed in this accident.
Yeah not sure about that one, since his head could have hit the side window or even gone through it. That is the point of the HPS system. He did get hit by an SUV and from what he said it pushed him across the intersection a bit so you would think something would go off, that is why they are there!

#78 ·
Initial Quote is in - $8400 and expected about $4k + after stripping it down.

#79 · (Edited)
Really sorry to hear bout you car mate. Glad though that you are ok.

It really sucks when you get put out because of the stupidity of others. Had a near miss a couple of weeks ago when an idiot decided to stop on the road (not the shoulder but the ROAD) to take a look at a new townhouse. I stopped in time but the screech of tyres locking up and the car behind sliding towards my rear end (well, the car's rear end) was cause for a serious pucker moment.

I'm sure things will get sorted out and you'll be motoring along in no time. Good luck with it and keep us updated.

#80 ·
turpiwa said:
That first one was 25k? Was the picture of the damage the total damage? Seems a lot?

Check your PM
Yes Wayne, that is the whole extent of the visible damage, However that messed up the whole fornt due to the fact that it is all aluminum. And of course the air bags and so on added to it.

#81 ·
turpiwa said:
No - he was going straight through the light?
What you see there is the kurb - the corner - he pushed me from the middle of the intersection to there - the picture is a little deceiving. Therre was still quite a bit of room between his car and the curb. When I backed off and moved he drove straight through to move.
i guess i'm confused

so you were stopped in the middle of an intersection? i assume the light turned red and you coudn't make it to the other side? that's what i glean...

it is illegal to block an intersection so i wouldn't get your hopes up about getting the fault placed on the other driver even if you were stopped

sry about the car though- so new, yikes :(

#82 ·
Stop

turpiwa said:
My first crash ever - in 26 years of driving - and it was my stupid fault - technically anyway.

But he could have avoided me - plenty of room - if he had looking - and a congested intersection with a truck blocking part of it - and he was flying - and on his cell.
But - still my fault - technically:mad:
================
You are all right - that is the most important thing. To bad about you car - does look fairly substantial. (Suggestion) To not keep saying it was your fault.:tsk:

#83 ·
Had a look at teh car yesterday - all the front panels are stripped off (will post a photo later when I download it).
Man, it took a good hit - both rails need to be replaced. So the engine etc has to come out. I was quite amazed at the hit those rails absorbed - I wasn't even sor ethe next morning.

#84 ·
Hey - just thought of a positive in all this (small but positive in any case)

I have asked that my new bumper not be drilled for a number plate :thumbup:

#86 ·
Ridgeway said:
it is illegal to block an intersection so i wouldn't get your hopes up about getting the fault placed on the other driver even if you were stopped
I don't think that matters. No matter where a stationary vehicle is, if someone hits it, they are at fault. The moving vehicle's driver gets hit with "failure to avoid an accident".

#87 · (Edited)
xspeedy said:
I don't think that matters. No matter where a stationary vehicle is, if someone hits it, they are at fault. The moving vehicle's driver gets hit with "failure to avoid an accident".
I'm not having much luck with the insurance company on that one - they are on board with the - you blocked the intersection blah lah blah. :dunno:

And here's an updated photo - week 1. Starting to rain in Houston today - Hope they throw a tarp over the front :(

Check ut the bent rail to the right of the radiator - the engine has to all come out to replace both rails back to the firewall.

Attachments

#88 ·
xspeedy said:
hrm, well maybe it's just me but i dislike when people block the intersection
screws up the whole flow of traffic, doesn't seem like an overly difficult thing to avoid

not that the offender deserves to have a very nice brand new e90 wrecked :eeps:

#89 ·
Ridgeway said:
hrm, well maybe it's just me but i dislike when people block the intersection
screws up the whole flow of traffic, doesn't seem like an overly difficult thing to avoid

not that the offender deserves to have a very nice brand new e90 wrecked :eeps:
Screws up the flow of traffic - nicely put :rofl:

I am in agreement - I hate it when wankers block the intersection too - but people make mistakes. Won't stop me giving others a blast when they do it and I AVOID them (hopefully) - just to wake them up. It was an unfortunate - stupid mistake - but I do get frustrated at people's inattentiveness......rant......:mad:

#90 ·
Fault - by ex claims rep

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're ok.
I am a former Claims rep who did this for a couple of years day in/day out, figure out who is at fault.
I guess you were in an intersection against a light. This would almost always be 100% your fault, since the other driver prob came up with a fancy story that he tried to stop but couldn't and he had not time to do so. Basically with no one to collaborate that you were stopped for a while and he was speeding and innattentive at least (otherwise he might get some contributory negligency). without it the insurance co, will avoid issues and pay. Any police report on this by the way?

all the best, and keep us updated on progress.

#91 ·
sid1200 said:
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're ok.
I am a former Claims rep who did this for a couple of years day in/day out, figure out who is at fault.
I guess you were in an intersection against a light. This would almost always be 100% your fault, since the other driver prob came up with a fancy story that he tried to stop but couldn't and he had not time to do so. Basically with no one to collaborate that you were stopped for a while and he was speeding and innattentive at least (otherwise he might get some contributory negligency). without it the insurance co, will avoid issues and pay. Any police report on this by the way?

all the best, and keep us updated on progress.
Yep - that's what I figured. Yeh, was a Police report but I he told me before he left it appeared I would be at fault.

#92 ·
turpiwa,

i think you could try to see whether there is a case to be made regarding contributory negligence/ inattentiveness (etc as sid1200 said) based on the fact that the other driver was on his cell. if you state so, it must be difficult for the other driver to dispute, as it could be factually verified from the cell phone company. i do not have any experience with any of these, just thinking out loud.

good luck

#93 ·
Update

We are up to $16,000 - and they just added an expected 2 weeks to the repair time :mad:

#94 ·
turpiwa said:
We are up to $16,000 - and they just added an expected 2 weeks to the repair time :mad:
LDV330i said:
I would venture to guess that your repairs would cost close to $25K. Even that is not high enough to get the car totaled. :(

It is going to be a painful 2 months to be with out your car.:(
:yikes: I just threw a number and time out there. I hope it does not come to pass. :wow:

#95 ·
LDV330i said:
:yikes: I just threw a number and time out there. I hope it does not come to pass. :wow:
Me too - rental is only covered up until 3/25 as well

#96 ·
Update And Photos

Ok, it is being stripped back to the firewall. Also the dash, centre console, steering and front seats need to come out as well. :(
The claim is at $16k so far. The Guy at the body shop told me he expects it may double - to $30k :eek:

I have a call in to my Insurance claims advisor - I don't think they have ben told that by the body shop. That's getting pretty close to a write off I reckon!!

Attachments

#97 ·
turpiwa said:
Ok, it is being stripped back to the firewall. Also the dash, centre console, steering and front seats need to come out as well. :(
The claim is at $16k so far. The Guy at the body shop told me he expects it may double - to $30k :eek:

I have a call in to my Insurance claims advisor - I don't think they have ben told that by the body shop. That's getting pretty close to a write off I reckon!!
I would tell them that and send out another adjuster if necessary. Best of luck! Kinda scary all this and the airbags didn't even go off???

#99 ·
LDV330i said:
:wow: and it was only a relatively low speed accident.:dunno:
I was stopped - so yeh. I estimate he was doing 45 to 50.

#101 ·
One thing about the rental...

Don't keep the same rental car the whole time if you're using the automatic insurance that comes with your credit card. You should change the car or even the rental company every 14 days, because that's the maximum they will insure it (0 deductible). If you're paying for the insurance through the rental company, you shouldn't be - if you have a gold/platinum credit card (Visa or Mastercard) you're automatically covered through them. The higher-end AMEX cards also have this automatic coverage. Call your CC company to double-check (if it's a Visa/MC they will refer you to the head company - the info is also on the official Visa/MC websites).

As for who is at fault, although you were blocking the intersection, he should not have proceeded through the intersection until it was clear so he may have partial liability (green light means 'proceed when clear', not 'procced no matter what').

Good luck - for your sake I really hope they total it.

--SONET

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.