BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What color is this? Oil level sensor or oil pressure sensor?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  gtb 
#1 · (Edited)
I am colorblind and I have no idea if this is red or yellow. I need to know if I need to replace the oil level sensor or the oil pressure sensor. From what I understand, if the light is red, I need to replace the pressure sensor. If the light is yellow, I need to replace the level sensor. That is, as long as my engine is ok. Also, the actual oil level is fine.

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
first thing u need to do is check the readings on the oil dipstick and fill it if it requires some.
- if u get this yellow light for 20-25 seconds as soon as u start your car and goes away then u have a bad oil level sensor.
- if the light comes on as soon as u turn off ur car or randomly when u'r driving, then u r missing at least 1 quart of oil

#6 · (Edited)
Am I correct to say that (old) oil can icon is always amber, and never red? I have this issue maybe one can diagnose for me. 10-15 seconds AFTER the engine has started, whether if it is cold or warm, the oil icon comes on (amber color), then it goes off approximately 20 seconds later. I know I do not have an engine lubrication problem. I believe it is a sensor problem. How easy is it to replace this sensor? If the sensor is not reliable to predict a lubrication problem, what good is the sensor?

#7 ·
Dave, it sounds like you're in the same boat as the OP, with a bad oil level sensor. It seems that the computer can tell when the sensor is giving bad readings and it lets you know it's failing / failed. It's super easy to change... when you're doing an oil change, being that it's in the bottom of the oil pan. Let's just pretend that BMW didn't decide to remove the dipstick and use ONLY the sensor in the next-gen engines. In my wife's car, there's a little plastic access panel for the oil drain plug, and one for the oil level sensor. Tell you anything??

#14 ·
Fortunately, the 330i belly pan does not extend back to the oil plug, so when I change the oil I do not have to remove any plastic covers. Where is the sensor? I never noticed one because it never occur to me to look for it when I change the oil.

#11 ·
orange oil light intermittent illumination

Must be something in the air, I was driving yesterday long distance circa (900kms-450 miles) I stopped and switched engine off, checked the obvious, and then started car. No orange light, I travel approx 60 km (35 miles) on it comes. This thing is some 12000km before scheduled service. take care. G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.