BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

After 1st round negotiation, advice needed

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  kisas 
#1 ·
We went to two dealers last weekend. Although we had done some homework, we still couldn't find some reasonable deal. (btw, we are buying a x3)

Here are what I got:

1, discount. the largest discount we got were 4%, is this a ok deal? How much over invoice would be a good deal for x3?

2, money factor. both dealers offered 0.00165. If I do 7 MSD, what should be a reasonable MF?

when you negotiate on the price, do you ask for invoice price and start from there? can someone share their experience ?

Thanks and have a nice thanks giving holiday!

#2 ·
Right now if think 500-700 over invoice was more than fair for an X3. Not sure current money factor but tell them u want buy rate. There are plenty if site sponsors that will assist you with those figures.

#4 ·
Thank you!

When you go to a dealership, would they tell you the invoice price?

I'm going to a site sponsor dealership tomorrow. Sorry for my ignorance, but are they going to make less money out of you than other dealers just because you registered on some website?

#3 ·
There is a forum sponsor in Atlanta. . .

#8 ·
I know some people buy whatever they want without a hesitate. But many other people are not like that. If you read a bit on this forum, you will find people are talking about capital cost, money factor. I believe many of them have cash to pay off right away. But they still want to make a wise purchase.

#9 ·
Why pay more than you have to? We saved thousands buying our X3 from Adrian, choosing European Delivery, and taking careful full advantage of the lease programs and incentives offered by BMW.

Making a deal is harder in the UK, but BMW does still offer attractive subvented finance. We saved nearly £8000 on our Z4 compared to paying cash up front.

#11 ·
There is no need to ask the dealer for the invoice price. There are many places on the net where you can find the invoice price such as Edmund's or Blue Book. Kelly gives you a "target" price for what their research has shown to be a "good deal" for the model in which you are interested. The dealer will want to negotiate DOWN from the sticker price (or up from sticker if it is a very popular model). You will want to negotiate up from invoice or even below invoice if it is a left-over model. You will need to know EXACTLY how the vehicle is equipped to accurately determine the invoice. Invoice information is readily available and you should never enter into negotiations without it. Knowledge is power. Even the sleaziest salesman cannot swindle a knowledgeable buyer.

#15 ·
My advice, stay away from the payment conversation and negotiate on the factors that make up the payment. Know what you are willing to accept on those factors, payment is just math. If you already know the vehicle you want, then negotiate over email. I won't meet the salesperson until I know I'm not going to waste hours in the dealership salesperson to sales manager run around. And last, stalk the dealership website in advance to understand their turnover on the model. I've found the lower the turnover, the easier it is to get to the numbers I want.

BTW, spreadsheet is a great idea, especially if looking at multiple vehicles which have different prices and financing assumptions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.