BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

SMG Problem

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  BlackStarMiG 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I'm new to the forum and ive owned this 2003 e46 M3 for about six months and I've had this problem with the transmission. For some reason the SMG takes too long to shift, for example say I'm driving from a stop and its about to shift into the next gear it go's limp for a second then it drops the gear and you keep driving. almost like really bad granny shifting, it doesn't always happen though. wen i go faster or i shift the SMG it works fine the higher gears work fine only in the lower gears. Also is it normal if wen i set it in auto mode it doesn't go down to 1st gear on a stop it go's down to 2nd? please help me out idk what wrong with my car makes me unhappy with it :(

#2 ·
You do know there are 6 levels of S mode and 5 levels of A mode to choose from?

The lower levels shift slower. Also the transmission shifts slower when you are off the throttle or at low throttle versus at full throttle.

And A1 does not use 1st at all.

You change the level with the rocker switch with the bars (like the ATT commercial) by the shifter. There is a similar display on the dash that shows which level is selected.

And BTW, RTFM.

#3 ·
Sounds like gear position sensor or clutch position sensor issue. Does it blink in low gears before engaging?
Also, it***8217;s possible it may require a software update and/ or calibration of clutches.

#4 · (Edited)
thanks guys for the reply, well thats what i thought about the A1 that it started in 2nd gear i just wasnt sure. but yea it doesnt flash the gear in the dash before it engages it just goes limp like when it is about to shift no matter how far you push in the gas but as soon as it engages it will throw u back if the gas is in a lil deep usually happens when i'm going to turn left wen I'm in the intersection :dunno: whats wrong with it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.