BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tires and Wheels

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Momukhamo 
#1 ·
Hello All, I'm a Newbie....I bought by 2009 335xi in September 12'. I didn't have any problems with my OE Runflats until this year when I had two flats(blowouts) within a span of 4 months. And it was basically in the same place. So, I got tired of the RFT and decided to get non RFT (Conti ExtremeContact DW). Which I brought a couple days ago. Now the car runs great!:)...Smooth over bumps and handling is great as well.

I'm going to get some SNOWS in Oct or Nov. But my question is should I get different wheels with the snows or is the factory wheels(rims) sufficient. My setup is 225 45R 17' both front and rear as I have the base model no sports package.

Also, What are the advantages to going from 17's to 18's or 19's. I know there are threads on here talking about it but i'm being specific to my vehicle.

Thanks,

2009 335xi/titanium silver/dakota leather/cold weather pkg

#2 ·
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to the E90 3 series forum, you'll get more help in here. I recommend a dedicate set of winter wheels so you don't have to move the tires between the wheels each season.

Check out what the Tire Rack offers, connect with Gary (tell him Bimmerfest sent you) and you'll get taken care of.

Tim

#3 · (Edited)
Hello All, I'm a Newbie....I bought by 2009 335xi in September 12'. I didn't have any problems with my OE Runflats until this year when I had two flats(blowouts) within a span of 4 months. And it was basically in the same place. So, I got tired of the RFT and decided to get non RFT (Conti ExtremeContact DW). Which I brought a couple days ago. Now the car runs great!:)...Smooth over bumps and handling is great as well.

I'm going to get some SNOWS in Oct or Nov. But my question is should I get different wheels with the snows or is the factory wheels(rims) sufficient. My setup is 225 45R 17' both front and rear as I have the base model no sports package.

Also, What are the advantages to going from 17's to 18's or 19's. I know there are threads on here talking about it but i'm being specific to my vehicle.

Thanks,

2009 335xi/titanium silver/dakota leather/cold weather pkg
If you're talking about 17" snow tires versus 18"/19", there's no benefit to going to the larger wheel sizes. 18" and 19" snow tires will cost more and be more likely to blow out on a pothole. If yo're thinking of 18" or 19" for your summers, put the snows on the 17" wheels you have now and buy new 18"/19" wheels and summer tires come springtime.

It used to be easy to decide on separate wheels or not: you would get the snows on separate wheels, something like Rial Salernos, and have only two $20 changeovers per year instead of two $100 mount/balance changeovers. It was easy to make up the difference. Now, with an additional set of TPMS sensors required, breakeven is harder to reach. Still, I have mine on a separate set. It's too each to muck up the wheels pulling the tires on and off.

Here's a pricing workup I did last year. Breakeven happens in the 4th winter if you don't drive enough to wear out a set of snow tires after 3 seasons. Breakeven comes in the 5th winter if you do have to replace the tires before then.

Cost here is $25/tire to mount/balance as opposed to $20 to switch a whole set on already mounted rims. Full tire changes 2x/yr = $200/yr. Swap premounted = $40/yr, so a savings of $160/yr.

New rims cost $159/each including TPMS (Rial Salerno's at Tire Rack when I bought my car in 2009). I get 3 seasons per set of tires, so there's an extra $80 hit every 3rd autumn starting in year 4.

Running total costs (Season / Full mount $ / Dedicated rims $) excluding cost of tires at end of each season:
1 / $200 / $656
2 / $400 / $696
3 / $600 / $736
4 / $800 / $856 [$100 in fall to mount new set]
5 / $1000 / $896 <-- where I am right now
6 / $1200 / $936
7 / $1400 / $1056 [$100 in fall to mount new set]
8 / $1600 / $1096

The prevalence of alloy rims in the 17" size and the need for TPMS stretches the payback out. Certainly was a much cleaner calc for my Passat with $25 steelies and no TPMS (cashflow positive the first year). Left unsaid in the above is that if you're in an 18" or higher wheel size in the summer, the ability to drop back to 17" rims for the winter saves a lot on tire costs.

#6 ·
Oh ok, I was just asking about the winter setup because I read a couple of threads which talked about switching up from 17" to 18". However, I'm going to stay with my 17"s.

Last winter my RFTs sucked in the snow and ice. Plus, in the NE we had temps in the single digits. So winter snows is definitely a must.

Lastly, I know there are threads on the RFT Vs non RFTs. But I must say that the run flats have a harsher ride over bumps which is another reason I switched out.

Thanks guys!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#5 ·
I think you will be happy with your choice. I bought a second set of wheels last year for my winter set of tires and now the place I take my car to will change out my summer for winter set for free and back the other way in the spring.

#7 ·
Does anyone know if my winter wheels that I use on my 2008 335i will match up with the new M4 Bolt pattern?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.