BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear fogs completed!

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Bob330Ci 
#1 ·
Well, I just finished reassembling the dash and tested the rear fogs. I'm happy to report that they work fine.

I'll post pics tonight after it gets dark.

I'll have a comprehensive parts list and procedure list soon as well, but basically you will need: the appropriate light switch panel, a contact for the light control module, a contact for the trunklid/tailgate light housing, and a new light housing (or 2 of the last 2 parts if you want lights on both sides as I did). You'll also need a couple of crimp connectors (or you can solder everything) and about 25ft of 18 or 20AWG stranded copper wire.

Rear fogs will operate when:
parking lights on+front fogs on
headlights on (independent of front fog).

#5 ·
Here's a quick shot I just took with parking/front fog/rear fog on. I don't know how to mess with my digicam's manual controls to make this come out better but I think you'll get the idea.

I drove with them on for the last mile or so coming up to my house, and I gotta say its damn bright. Look in the mirror and you can see all the reflective signs in the other direction with a red cast to them.

As for cost, it cost $75.85 for all 6 OEM bits before any tax or shipping, but I got the parts from 3 different sources. The rest of the stuff (electrical/friction tape, wire, splice connectors) was all out of my garage stock, but would probably be another $3-4 worth.

I'll work on a real writeup sometime soon.

Attachments

#6 ·
Kaz said:
Here's a quick shot I just took with parking/front fog/rear fog on. I don't know how to mess with my digicam's manual controls to make this come out better but I think you'll get the idea.

I drove with them on for the last mile or so coming up to my house, and I gotta say its damn bright. Look in the mirror and you can see all the reflective signs in the other direction with a red cast to them.

As for cost, it cost $75.85 for all 6 OEM bits before any tax or shipping, but I got the parts from 3 different sources. The rest of the stuff (electrical/friction tape, wire, splice connectors) was all out of my garage stock, but would probably be another $3-4 worth.

I'll work on a real writeup sometime soon.
Wow. THose fogs are extremely bright. I don't think you'll ever have to worry abou tailgaters again. :D

I can't wait for the complete write-up!

#7 ·
Nice... :D

Can't wait for the complete writeup! :)

#10 ·
Kaz said:
Rear fogs will operate when:
parking lights on+front fogs on
headlights on (independent of front fog).
That's interesting that you got them to work this way. Mine were done by my local dealer as part of the conversion process to operate on UK roads. Mine will only come on when the headlights are on and are independent of the front fogs. The only way I can get them to come on with the headlamps off is to turn them on with the headlamps and then turn the headlamps back to the City Lights setting.

#11 ·
Re: Re: Rear fogs completed!

Desertnate said:
That's interesting that you got them to work this way. Mine were done by my local dealer as part of the conversion process to operate on UK roads. Mine will only come on when the headlights are on and are independent of the front fogs. The only way I can get them to come on with the headlamps off is to turn them on with the headlamps and then turn the headlamps back to the City Lights setting.
I didn't 'get' it to operate any specific way. That's just the way it works after I reassembled everything. I guess there may be a way to change this behavior but my guess is that will require recoding or something. The only 'dependency' to turn the rear fogs on is to have some sort of full light on in front.

#13 ·
Can't wait for the parts list...I'm adding this to my list DIY's this spring. Don't get too much fog, but the one time I need it I'll be glad to have it. That and it sounds like fun to install.

B.

#14 ·
Re: Re: Re: Rear fogs completed!

Kaz said:
The only 'dependency' to turn the rear fogs on is to have some sort of full light on in front.
I don't know if you noticed this, but once they're on, if you switch off the headlights and/or front fogs (whatever you used to allow the rear fogs to turn on) the rear fogs will stay on until you switch them off.

#15 ·
Man, after seeing Kaz's picture, I now understand why tailgaters behind me slow down when I switch those on! :yikes:

Talk about being blinded by the light ...

Excellent work Mr Kaz.

BTW, I am still wondering WHY these are not standard on US spec vehicles like here in Europe. :dunno:

#18 ·
Mystikal said:
I was behind an Audi A6 this week with rear fogs on...needless to say I found a way around him VERY quickly. :mad:
Yeah, on A6s I find them quite annoying too. I don't know though if it is the case of them being too bright or me being irritated by clueless drivers who switch them on for no reason :loco: :)

Good work, Kaz! Now any fog that comes your way better be ready! :D

#20 ·
Think we'll be able to convince the Cutter Parts Department to put together a rear-fog retrofit package with a nice price for Bimmerfest members? :angel: :thumbup:

B.

#22 ·
teamdfl said:
Now I have to do this mod just for that friggin A6 I end up behind every night on my way home. That assh@le turns his rear fogs on every night.

Ed
Which is why we shouldn't have rear fogs as an option here in the US. Every other fuccking Volvo around here drives with them on at all times and that's bad enough.

#23 ·
Clyde@work said:
Which is why we shouldn't have rear fogs as an option here in the US. Every other fuccking Volvo around here drives with them on at all times and that's bad enough.
I believe front fogs should require a special license since every idiot in his Pontiac/Yukon/BMW/Accord drives around with poorly aimed fogs on all night as if they were auxiliary driving lamps.

Ed

#25 ·
teamdfl said:
I believe front fogs should require a special license since every idiot in his Pontiac/Yukon/BMW/Accord drives around with poorly aimed fogs on all night as if they were auxiliary driving lamps.

Ed
And they get flashed by me, although I suspect they are clueless why...

:rolleyes:

#26 ·
At the very least, proper use of lighting equipment, including front and rear fogs, should be taught in driver training. But like everything else important, it's not.

But we digress...

B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.