BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bmw fuel system cleaner

53K views 92 replies 30 participants last post by  BalticVid 
#1 · (Edited)
Hesitation and start up issues started..... Wasn't sure what the problem was.... Went to bmw and purchased the bmw fuel system cleaner and now the car has great performance and starts right up!!!!! Also, from now on, I will only fill up with "Chevron with Techron".

#2 ·
I did that too to help with the rough idle when reversing or sitting at a light. It helps clean out the carbon build out. Turns out for me it's going to need a new eccentric shaft. The cleaner is helping for now. Warranty wont replace until it generates a fault code.

#3 ·
the BMW fuel system cleaner will probably help all 7-series greatly, but if the idle does get a bit rough and is blamed on the excentric shafts, I'd look into having the whole VANOS system checked out and as well invest in a better oil with some cleaning abilities.

#16 ·
Yes. Chevron or Texaco is better for our fuel systems in BMW's.... Remember, Its mostly the "TECHRON" that you really want in the gas. The BMW service depts. have the bottle of fuel system cleaner available also . The main words on the front of the bottle is "TECHRON". So definatly for overall performance, Chevron or Texaco with Techron...

Hope this helps!!

#17 ·
Be careful with that lucas stuff! It has a large amount of detergents that can damage sensors and seals over time! Redline SI-1 Fuel cleaner doesn't have that level of detergents but instead uses another compound that cleans without damaging other components! Source: Bobistheoilguy forums

#18 ·
Many moon ago I owned a Ford Crown Victorian and I was an avid Lucas user but I've heard a lot of horror stories lately about Lucas in various vehicles. I'm sure for some it works and others not so much. I'm sure others may have had other factos that caused the gremlins to surface. Anyhow, I decided to go with Redline in my Dodge Charger and honestly I'm a skeptical guy but it seems to have improved it's overall performance. I use to have a small hiccup when punching it heavy on the highway but after adding the Redline it's completely disappeared. Although I've experienced great results in my American Muscle I am terrified about putting any of this stuff in my 750. I've been experiencing a rough idle here and there and was told by an indy that this may clear it up but still.. Tossing and turning on this one fellas, these cars are beautiful yet fragile and EXPENSIVE to repair. Dunno if I wanna take the risk but if I did I'd go with the Redline. :dunno:

#19 ·
I use Lucas in my Armada but that beast drinks fuel like crazy no matter what you do, lol. Redline seems to be the way to go for the Bmw, just saying....

#22 ·
I never thought about Seafoam, I used it on my older cars back in the day, I will do some reasearch on it.
seafoam is a good product, but it's more of a tool used to clean up heavy build up on the intakes and throttle body and such rather than clean up the fuel tank from the ethanol issues we have.

#21 ·
I never thought about Seafoam, I used it on my older cars back in the day, I will do some reasearch on it.

#23 ·
http://www.toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

USA Canada
76 Stations Chevron Canada
Aloha Petroleum Esso
Chevron Petro-Canada
Conoco Shell Canada
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

#24 ·
http://www.toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.
Top tier doesn't matter when the ethanol in the gasoline is the issue! The extra water retention is causing a ton of build-up and a ton of issues that we wouldn't have to deal with otherwise.

#26 ·
If you guys did research into gas you would see any brand is fine
There is no difference from one brand to the next.
The poster who posted the top tier gas producers are manufacturers who have introduced a detergent into their blend of gasoline. These top tier gas producers were asked by GM, BMW, Toyota, Audi, and VW to formulate a detergent as the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. So gas used to better 15-20 years back when

Even if you used Walmart gasoline, which is not a top tier product, you could still use the blue bottle of techron like every 10,000 miles or so to get the same results.

There is no difference between the major brands of gas. Truth is you don't know where the gas you buy is coming from Chevron, Texaco, Shell, or BP. It all comes from the same well in a ground or in a pipeline, on a ship that comes into port, get distributed by wholesalers, and then retailed to where you pump your gas. Your shell station could be selling you a chevron blend. You dont know.
Gas Stations are sold whatever the wholesalers get at the port terminal. it could their blend or someone elses.

#30 ·
If you guys did research into gas you would see any brand is fine
There is no difference from one brand to the next.
The poster who posted the top tier gas producers are manufacturers who have introduced a detergent into their blend of gasoline. These top tier gas producers were asked by GM, BMW, Toyota, Audi, and VW to formulate a detergent as the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. So gas used to better 15-20 years back when

Even if you used Walmart gasoline, which is not a top tier product, you could still use the blue bottle of techron like every 10,000 miles or so to get the same results.

There is no difference between the major brands of gas. Truth is you don't know where the gas you buy is coming from Chevron, Texaco, Shell, or BP. It all comes from the same well in a ground or in a pipeline, on a ship that comes into port, get distributed by wholesalers, and then retailed to where you pump your gas. Your shell station could be selling you a chevron blend. You dont know.
Gas Stations are sold whatever the wholesalers get at the port terminal. it could their blend or someone elses.
Id agree. I have used Texaco, Mobile, Racetrack, Costco, Wallyworld whoever is convenient. I have felt no perceptible change in performance or measured any less mpg. with this performance vehicle. I did use some additive injector cleaner 1500 miles ago. WIth on performance cars Ive owned I never even cared what fuel....just cheapest and never had one iota of problem.

#27 ·
That's your opinion. Everyone's entitled to theirs. In my experience with Top Tier gas, I have yet to experience fuel system related failures after having used Shell gas in all my cars. Just step over to other Luxury car forums and read what the majority of people say about quality gas VS. Wal-Mart, etc.

#32 ·
Im all over the luxury car forums.........What i offer is not an opinion, its fact.
Whatever you are using has nothing to do with the fact thats it shell.
The only difference is the detergents (additives) used at the refinery. Walmart (aka Murphy Oil USA) I dont know what Murphy Oil treats their fuel with what detergents. Its pure coincidence that people have had bad experiences with a certain brand.
You can get bad gas anywhere, anytime, anyplace. And it all depends on where that gas station buys their fuel from. That fuel could be sold to anyplace.

Im not saying go buy Walmart gas, im trying to put a end to the myth that a certain brand is better than the other.
I fill up my AMG at Racetrac and I assure I have a healthy car. I dyno it at least twice a year and my numbers are always at +500rwhp and +580RWTQ. Just to be safe i either fill up at Chevron or use the blue bottle of techron once every three months.

Check this out
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/gas/

#43 ·
its the forum bullies again!
You know what, I'm happy you didn't get banned. Because every time I get on here, I'm able to get a good laugh at all of your beautiful posts.

#42 ·
Haha I'm happy to hear that man :rofl:

#40 ·
3M makes a product for this just go to www.3mauto.com I think, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

#45 ·
Please do, I'll have a nice chat with Chris

#48 ·
Haha I love you guys :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.