BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

which one is faster

9K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Sami2000 
#1 ·
M3 e46 or the M5 e39....please tell me that the M5 is truly faster than that m3 :eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps::eeps:

#3 ·
According to EVO magazine

E39 M5:
0-60: 4.9
0-100: 11.5

E46 M3:
0-60: 5.1
0-100: 12.3

So the M5 wins both :D on an autox or twisty mountain, the M3 will end up on top.

#5 ·
According to other sources, E39 M5 acceleration is 0-60 in 4.7 (or quicker in some tests). It's really dependent on the driver. Quickest is when you set DSC off, Sport mode ON, rev to 2000, and drop the clutch with a little wheelspin out of the holeshot. You'll spin the tires in 2nd and 3rd if you redline all the gears; but it's over all before you get to 3rd.

I haven't timed mine, but I beat a Subaru WRX STi, which has about the same power to weigh ratio.

On the track, I'd be willing to bet on the lighter car for the long run unless the M5 is fitted with an aftermarket BBK (Big Brake Kit). If the M5 has DINAN tuned anything, S1/S2 then the M3 may be in deep trouble on the track. If you're talking the DINAN S3 modded M5 (with supercharger and over 600hp) against a stock M3, then the M3 is toast anywhere.

#12 ·
M5's have ALWAYS been faster and quicker than M3's...probably has something to do with the price...if you buy the companies most expensive car...it should be the most powerful...

#14 ·
I have an e30 with a built s52 obd1 that can handle an e46 m3 and my e39 M5 is faster than the e30... most noticeable after 100; the smaller motors run out of steam and gears... there is truth behind the statement..."no replacement for displacement".

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.