BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
14K views 78 replies 21 participants last post by  BWilson263 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a dilemma. I'd like to get my car tinted as soon as it arrives but NJ tint law says no tint on the driver and passenger windows. So my question is, how would it look to have the rear side windows and the rear window tinted?(You are legally allowed to use any percentage in the back here in NJ).

Edit: Got the tint done. 60% Wincos on all sides and 20% at the rear. Looks great.

#2 · (Edited)
There are shops in NJ who will re-tint for free for MV inspections or if you get issued a summons or warning.

New Jersey seems to have an active auto tint sub culture - like a secret society lol.

If you're just looking not to get hassled you can "split tint" a sedan with say 50 on the fronts and 20 on the rears. The contrast creates an illusion of not having tints and it looks great, as long as you get a shade of tint which compliments your vehicle.

#3 ·
There are shops in NJ who will re-tint for free for MVP inspections or if you get issued a summons or warning.

New Jersey seems to have an active auto tint sub culture - like a secret society lol.

If you're just looking not to get hassled you can "split tint" a sedan with say 50 on the fronts and 20 on the rears. The contrast creates an illusion of not having tints and it looks great, as long as you get a shade of tint which compliments your vehicle.
It is like "Ticketsville" in NJ. The cops look for anything to make money for the city.

#4 · (Edited)
http://www.topofthelinetint.com/

I went here, very professional. you get 10% off with appointment made over the phone. It came out to 280 with tax. They use 3M tint and offer a lifetime guarantee.

I got pulled over many times but my cousin is a Sargent for the NYPD, I got the SBA card. I just get warnings.

#5 ·
DMV no longer checks tint....cops do occasionally. Take delivery and go to "the tint shop" in Edison on rt 1 by ray catenary. He has done a ton of 5ers incl mine.

Nj loosened I inspection rules but front windows r still illegal.

Aceman

#6 ·
DMV no longer checks tint....cops do occasionally. Take delivery and go to "the tint shop" in Edison on rt 1 by ray catenary. He has done a ton of 5ers incl mine.

Nj loosened I inspection rules but front windows r still illegal.

Aceman
Why did they loosen the inspection rules? The cops are still giving tickets for tint in Livingston, Maplewood, Oranges, Newark.

#7 ·
Do you guys have any pictures from the "top of the line tint" or "the tint shop" also what percentages did you end up getting? I'm thinking about 35 all around (not the windshield.)

#8 ·
Only in nj....they reduce the inspection rules....they increase the number of years between inspections....but your reg fees stay the same

Need I say more?

Rparik.....mysig is 35 all around

#9 ·
Thanks Aceman. I was using the mobile app and couldn't see your sig. That is exactly what I'm looking for. What kind of film do they use? Does it look clear from the inside or is there some kind of hue? And finally how much was it? Sorry for hijacking huffington, but it looks like we're basically going to have the same car in the same town.

#11 ·
It probably will look lighter so I'm going to call the shop tomorrow and see what percentages they offer. I'm not willing to go down to 20% because I think it will be a little too dark for my taste.

#13 ·
tint

In the last 15 years i've gotten 2 tickets for tint in NJ. Both times it was in Hazlet. I live in Hunterdon county and never get hassled.

I recently tinted my 550xi with Lumar tint (35%). I would not go darker as you will probably be more prone to getting hassled.

Ive utilized tropical window tinting in Union, NJ. Excellent job and reasonable pricing.

#14 ·
In south Jersey, 20% all around, never been hassled.
The likelihood of tint related vehicle stops is, I’d assume, location specific.
My wife’s is even darker at 15% all around, she has been stopped for traffic violations, but never ticketed for tint.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Sorry i couldnt reply to your IM.

+1 for Aceman67 suggestion

"the tint shop" in Edison on rt 1 by ray catenary is really good i used them for protection film. He is very good at what he does and very experienced. He doesnt have Airblue80

so i used the shades of gray tint in PA, they are also top of the line and Authorised Installer for AirBlue80

#18 ·
Sorry i couldnt reply to your IM.

+1 for Aceman67 suggestion

"the tint shop" in Edison on rt 1 by ray catenary is really good i used them for protection film. He is very good at what he does and very experienced. He doesnt have Airblue80

so i used the shades of gray tint in PA, they are also top of the line and Authorised Installer for AirBlue80
Airblue80 looks really interesting for the side windows. Kinda Mercedes sport model's window look.

#16 ·
Hufington it looks like "the tint shop"is the place to go. Bighungry, I was wrong. 20% looks good too. I called them today and they have 5,20,35, and 50% available in their Madico premium film. They have Sat. appts that are booking up about a week in advance (I'm assuming M-F 9-5 doesn't work for you.)

#19 ·
I think they only have Madico, but carry all 4 types. http://www.madico.com/window-film/automotive/ The lady on the phone also mentioned that they do all the dealers in the area including maserati/ferrari, which is around the corner.

#27 ·
That does look very dark from the outside. But from the inside looking out it seems to be perfectly clear, especially on the driver's window.

#23 · (Edited)
I have an X5 that I tinted last April at http://www.topofthelinetint.com/

I also don't have front plates and have never had front plates in any of my cars in the past 10+ years..

I haven't been stopped by any NJ local or state cops..

Attachments

#43 ·
I'm going in Saturday morning. Did you decide on a percentage? I'm leaning to 35% all around.

#58 ·
Huffington already mentioned this but I'm another +1 for anthracite and cinnamon brown. Got the tints today and THANK YOU to everybody that recommended the tint shop. Robert at the tint shop was great and I'm ecstatic about the 35% all around. It looks great now but I'll report back in a couple days with pictures.

#61 ·
I have a dilemma. I'd like to get my car tinted as soon as it arrives but NJ tint law says no tint on the driver and passenger windows. So my question is, how would it look to have the rear side windows and the rear window tinted?(You are legally allowed to use any percentage in the back here in NJ).
I really don't like the "half tinted-half clear" look that much. Has anyone seen an F10 tinted like that?:dunno:
We have similar law here in Poland, and here is how mine looks with just the rear factory-tinted.

Attachments

#67 · (Edited)
Got the tint done by Lee Berbs. He did a great job. I love the way the car looks. I have 60% Wincos on all side windows to cut UV and IR with 20% Wincos in the back to cut night time glare additionaly.

This tint is great at blocking the heat from the sun and it is crystal clear from inside.

Lee also smoked my front side markers. I highly recommend him for all tint and clear bra installations.

huf BMW Wincos tint photo IMG_1036_zpscc42de75.jpg

huf BMW Wincos tint photo IMG_1041_zps84153779.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.