BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 xDrive35d catastrophic engine failure

58K views 161 replies 21 participants last post by  ard 
#1 ·
Took delivery of an X5 diesel in early May and until yesterday, it's been the best vehicle I've ever parked in my garage. We were within 65 miles of home after a 2,500 mile trip to Colorado when a rhythmic knocking started. It got progressively louder over the course of a few minutes and ended with a bang and sudden jerking. It felt as if we had hit something, so we turned around, fully expecting to see chunks of mechanical debris flying out behind the vehicle. No debris or drama. The engine had stopped running, so we coasted into the parking lot of an abandoned towing company along US Highway 287 just outside Decatur, TX. At this point, it wasn't clear what broke. Attempts to restart the engine failed and resulted in the illumination of a yellow warning indicator on the dash, a gear icon with an exclamation point in the middle. We called up BMW Roadside Assistance using the SOS button and they called for a tow. The driver took us and the X5 to our original Arlington dealership. It was after hours, so we left the key in the night drop with a note and a friend drove us home to Dallas. After 24 hours, it's still unclear what happened. There are no visible signs of damage on the exterior or underneath. When they connected the vehicle to electronic test equipment today, nothing looked out of the ordinary, probably because BMW doesn't include an "engine shredded" fault indicator in the diagnostic programs. The technician finally used a small camera to peek inside where he found metal fragments in the oil and a hole in the engine block. I don't have any more details about the damage, nor do I know how they'll fix it. Funny thing... It was no more than an hour before the Big Bang when I had made a comment about how reliable the X5 had been over the past six months and 13K miles, and that it had passed the Lemon Test by completing its third major cross-country road trip. Talk about a jinx!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The technician finally used a small camera to peek inside where he found metal fragments in the oil and a hole in the engine block. x!
Sorry to hear. Glad there is a warranty....

Personally my biggest concern would be that the technician at the dealer might not have extensive experience with these motors. The more complete a factory assembly they can get to replace 'in toto' the better off you may be...

Keep us posted

A

PS Assume you are in a loaner...might not need it, but it seems to make them work a bit faster...

#4 · (Edited)
...The technician finally used a small camera to peek inside where he found metal fragments in the oil and a hole in the engine block.....
Sorry to hear about your loss and hope it all gets fixed ASAP.

BTW in most engines, there are very few square inches of 'engine block' that you could punch a hole through without spilling coolant or oil or both. And about the only moving part with enough mass and velocity to punch a hole in the "block" would be a rod, rod bolt or rod cap. In all cases this is seriously bad news. Either this was a material failure, assembly error or the engine had been run way too low on oil.

I agree with the others and would demand a full engine replacement.

Funf Dreisig

#8 ·
Wow what a way to end a trip! You were lucky in the sense that you were able to coast into a safe parking area and were not stuck on a major freeway in the fast lane during rush hour! The remedy for you has to be a totally new crate engine from the factory. I would be very surprised if BMWNA didn't want your old engine sent back for total factory teardown and evaluation of what went wrong. Let us know how this turns out for you. Good luck!

#9 ·
Looks like they'll be ordering a new engine. It'll take three to four weeks for it to arrive. Assume it's coming from Germany.

Got an X5 xDrive30i as a loaner. No gadgets (nav, bluetooth, CA) but at least I have transportation. (Now... Where the hell did I put my bluetooth headset?!)

Pretty lucky the Big Bang happened close to home. It could have been so much worse. We were frequently in remote mountain areas without cell phone service and the closest dealerships were hundreds of miles away.

Hopefully, the transmission wasn't affected but we won't know until the new engine is in place. I assume something shears away to protect the transmission when the engine seizes and goes from 2500 rpm to an abrupt stop.

#11 ·
Looks like they'll be ordering a new engine. It'll take three to four weeks for it to arrive. Assume it's coming from Germany.

Got an X5 xDrive30i as a loaner. No gadgets (nav, bluetooth, CA) but at least I have transportation. (Now... Where the hell did I put my bluetooth headset?!)

Pretty lucky the Big Bang happened close to home. It could have been so much worse. We were frequently in remote mountain areas without cell phone service and the closest dealerships were hundreds of miles away.

Hopefully, the transmission wasn't affected but we won't know until the new engine is in place. I assume something shears away to protect the transmission when the engine seizes and goes from 2500 rpm to an abrupt stop.
Sorry to hear that. I've had mine since January and I've only had a check engine light. The part is on back order since August 4th. Engine temp control sensor. The parts availability isn't good. They re ordered the part last week as critical. I would be asking for a new car. Let us know once you get it back.

Craig

#13 ·
sorry about the engine

Wow. That's a big surprise. Please keep us posted. I'm going to pick up my new X5d next week and sure would like to hear the final report on your failed engine.

#14 ·
Here is my best guess at what happened to your engine....

Assuming the oil was not low, the most likely cause is a material failure of one of the rod bolts. The progressive knocking you heard is probably when the rod cap was working loose and stressing the other rod bolt to the point of failure. Once both rod bolts failed, the now loose rod end was probably hit by the crank shaft slamming/wedging it into the side of the engine block. This would 'seize' the engine dropping RPM to zero instantly.

It would be interesting to hear what actually happened but I won't be holding my breath for full disclosure from BMW about the failure of a 35d engine :(

Funf Dreisig

#15 ·
...The progressive knocking you heard is probably when the rod cap was working loose and stressing the other rod bolt to the point of failure. Once both rod bolts failed, the now loose rod end was probably hit by the crank shaft slamming/wedging it into the side of the engine block. This would 'seize' the engine dropping RPM to zero instantly.
A quick deceleration of all that spinning machinery might explain the strong jolt we felt, one powerful enough to make me think I had run over something. I really wanted to see the video feed from that little camera. There's no visible damage outside. No dripping fluid. Just an idiot light on the dash and no starter response.

The whole situation is fascinating. Annoying and inconvenient, but fascinating.

#17 ·
Three to four weeks? Shouldn't take that long to air freight a new crate engine from Germany! Perhaps you should be asking for a new car to replace the damaged one. It seems as if you have a case for diminished value here what with having to replace the engine. Personally I would ask for a new X5d and get on the road a lot sooner than a month. Even after the new engine is installed it might take a few return visits to get the glitches out of the systems. Best case, seamless. Worst case, lots of niggling little things that need fixing. Just my opinion:dunno:.

#20 ·
That is quite an upsetting thing to happen, and I'm sure we would all be interested in learning what caused the failure.

I could be incorrect, but hasn't the M57TU2D30 engine been in use for several years now, albeit not in the US? If so, how reliable have they been?

It seems to me that the only "new" features on the 35d vs. the earlier d models are the emissions control systems, as the engine has been in use for several years and the E70 is now in its 4th model year.

#21 ·
That is quite an upsetting thing to happen, and I'm sure we would all be interested in learning what caused the failure.

I could be incorrect, but hasn't the M57TU2D30 engine been in use for several years now, albeit not in the US? If so, how reliable have they been?

It seems to me that the only "new" features on the 35d vs. the earlier d models are the emissions control systems, as the engine has been in use for several years and the E70 is now in its 4th model year.
The 3.5 SD was in use in Europe for the 2008 model year. The 3.0d has been in use for a long time ROW rest of the world. Correct, the U.S. version is the same, but we don't have as much horsepower and we also have the extra emissions system. Mine has been fine since taking delivery back in early January. My only problem has been a check engine light for a temp control sensor that's been on back for since August 4th. The check engine light has been re set 3 times. BMW parts availabllity is not good in my opinion. I'm still waiting on the part and it's been over two months. The 3.5 sd is the twin turbo engine. The 3.0d is the single turbo engine.

Craig

#24 ·
Are people SERIOUSLY thinking that this could, or should, turn into a discussion on "reliability'???

You can be sure that that motor will be disassembled by a quality engineer, that the parts will be back tracked to the original lot numbers, that the damage will be microscopically evaluated- SEMs, Xray imaging, other techniques- that a root cause analysis will be completed. FFailure data from other reports and analyses will be checked...A Corrective Action may be implemented. It may be an extra QC check, it may be an extra cleaning step of the prep for the rod bolts to ensure no contaminants remain that might interfere with torquing, it could be a minor bearing shell revision...there are 100s of possible outcomes. Indeed, there could be multiple 'possible' causes, none proven and multiple actions- or no action but a decision to simply 'monitor failure data for trends'

And we will most likely never know a thing.

To speculate on what this means to the rest of the population of these motors is.... fruitless.

IMHO

A

PS I would dearly like to see the final failure analysis- I suspect it would be quite a piece of engineering effort. Definitely not ending in "the rod broke" or "looks like a bad bearing"....

#26 ·
I was not trying to question the reliability of the design- just passing on what I had heard from a BMW insider. This type of failure is pretty disturbing.

Penguin said:
Real OEM shows the same part number for the rods in European and US engines. (11247798368)

Real OEM shows the same part number for the crankshaft/bearing assembly in European and US engines as well. (112177942263)
that's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Here is the post from E90post.com forums:

mapezzul said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535desire
I just want to make sure I understand you. Are you saying that the US 335d engine different than the Euro version??

I'm surprised to learn that there are so many differences between the 330 and 335 d, but I'd be REALLY surprised if the basic 335d engine differred between US and Europe.

Yes, you are correct and what I said is true. The US 335d is different than the EU version. I took part in the press conference yesterday. The US version was designed specifically to make the engine smoother, quieter and cleaner.

There are modifications to the pistons, rods, pins, crank case (main rod bearings), breather system, EGR system, the SCR system, Exhaust, additional noise absorption elements under the engine and elsewhere.

The US also sees additional heating components. The list is extensive, and the modifications significant; the reason another engine was not used.
I've asked mapezzul to post here and elaborate, if he can.

#29 ·
Yes, but that's why much of the discussion is around how "new" the technology really is.

It has been mentioned there are significant differences in the engines between the current US and the European engines, well beyond exhaust emissions treatment, but a cursory check of a couple of the significant changes mentioned showed identical part numbers for the European engine and the US engine.

#30 ·
The engine in the 335d and X5 xDrive35d (internally recognized as the M57N2) has been modified extensively for US consumption.

Most enthusiasts are familiar with the urea injection system (Diesel Emissions Fluid) to combat NOx emissions for the US market but it is the other changes for the that are not as well known. Here are many of the changes.

Wrist pin locations are offset- moved towards cylinder wall to create less rock in the power stroke and decrease noise. The pins have also been tweaked, and obviously the pistons are different.

Additional cast reinforcement on the bottom of the engine crank case. It covers 4 of the main bearings to increase stiffness, decrease vibration and reduce noise.

Noise reduction panel added under the engine.

The crank case ventilation system is heated and monitored (improved emissions).

Torque converter has twin axial spring dampers to smooth flow of power when transmission coupling is locked up.

Electronic ceramic heater for increased heat during cold weather for the occupants in the vehicle.

These changes are for improved emissions, decreased noise/vibrations and improve creature comforts. None of these items are truly necessary but they have helped make the appeal of diesel greater for the US market, with an additional price.

Original content from BimmerFile.com

#161 ·
The engine in the 335d and X5 xDrive35d (internally recognized as the M57N2) has been modified extensively for US consumption.

Most enthusiasts are familiar with the urea injection system (Diesel Emissions Fluid) to combat NOx emissions for the US market but it is the other changes for the that are not as well known. Here are many of the changes.

Wrist pin locations are offset- moved towards cylinder wall to create less rock in the power stroke and decrease noise. The pins have also been tweaked, and obviously the pistons are different.

Additional cast reinforcement on the bottom of the engine crank case. It covers 4 of the main bearings to increase stiffness, decrease vibration and reduce noise.

Noise reduction panel added under the engine.

The crank case ventilation system is heated and monitored (improved emissions).

Torque converter has twin axial spring dampers to smooth flow of power when transmission coupling is locked up.

Electronic ceramic heater for increased heat during cold weather for the occupants in the vehicle.

These changes are for improved emissions, decreased noise/vibrations and improve creature comforts. None of these items are truly necessary but they have helped make the appeal of diesel greater for the US market, with an additional price.

Original content from BimmerFile.com
:( i realise this is an older post but ive recently bought a 335d with the M57N2 engine which i am currently rebuilding as the previous drove it in to a flood.i found it hard to get parts here and found stuff way way cheaper in on ebay especially in the UK and Germany i have recently purchased 12 exhaust valves from the Uk and 12 inlet valves from Germany for a fraction of the price here and all matching part numbers but reading this thread now has me quiet worried as i also need piston rods and big end bearings etc :tsk: if anybody knows if this is still the case i would really appreciate any help - info on this thank you guys in advance .

#31 ·
Also worth noting is that "REAL OEM" is not always correct- there have been errors in the past, early E90 productions specifically.

#33 ·
I suppose the obvious but only real answer is time will tell if this is an isolated incident or more prevalent.

Even though Mercedes has been building diesels from the beginning, they had rod bending problems with the 300sd.

So far we have one case of total failure. Any production engines will have a statistical outlier. I think there will be more cause for alarm if we get several more in the near future.

In the meantime...enjoy your diesels gentlemen! :beerchug:

Btw, is anybody using cetane boosters or fuel additives? I'm going to use PS to start and see how that goes. I use redline DFC in my 190 diesel but that stuff is too pricey to use a lot of. Reason being US diesel has cetane of 40 to 45 while BMW recommends a minimum of 51.

Cheers

#35 ·
I suppose the obvious but only real answer is time will tell if this is an isolated incident or more prevalent.

Even though Mercedes has been building diesels from the beginning, they had rod bending problems with the 300sd.

So far we have one case of total failure. Any production engines will have a statistical outlier. I think there will be more cause for alarm if we get several more in the near future.

In the meantime...enjoy your diesels gentlemen! :beerchug:

Btw, is anybody using cetane boosters or fuel additives? I'm going to use PS to start and see how that goes. I use redline DFC in my 190 diesel but that stuff is too pricey to use a lot of. Reason being US diesel has cetane of 40 to 45 while BMW recommends a minimum of 51.

Cheers
BMW has been building diesels for quite some time as well, they are not "new" to this party at all. BMW makes some of the best and most reliable there are. Diesel issues are few and far between- this could have been a fuel issue or undetected defect in manufacturing. Personally I wonder if the transmission went first then caused the engine to go- A car with this many miles usually does not develop an engine issue from a defect.

BMW will have an engineer break this engine down and see what the cause was - test the fuel, look at the "black box" and evaluate the situation. As far as I am aware this is the first reported issue with the advanced diesels. There are motors out there with far more miles than this and no issues.

This is an outlier and not a real concern at this point. It is a shame it happened but with any mass produced product this occurs.

It may take several weeks for a new motor to be shipped, it may even go through Spartanburg then get shipped to the dealer, with the new regional distribution centers supply chain methods have improved but I am not familiar with them at this time.

-M

#45 ·
I've spent the last 5+ years cautioning people about the hazards of biodesel. If you listen to the gov' experts and tree huggers, you would think that this magical fuel was going to save the planet by itself.

From a Cummins perspective, we remind our customers that ANY fuel additive that causes a failure in the engine is not covered by the Manufacturers warranty. Some people have said that using biodiesel voids the warranty, but that is simply not true. Cummins approves biodiesel use I blends up to 20% for certain engines in our lineup. 5% is considered a normal blend that you can find at a pump. Cummins prohibits the use of Biodiesel in stand by generators, and we caution recreational and commercial marine customers from using it at all.

The reason for these two exclusions is based on biodiesel's ability to hold water. Water in fuel tanks on boats or with generators don't turn over fuel much, and condensation forms in the tanks and is kept in solution through the biodiesel molecule. Water is an engine's fuel injector's worst enemy, so any avoidance of water in fuel is imperative.

As far as using in trucks and cars......if you put biodiesel in an older storage tank or onboard fuel tank, the caustic nature of biodiesel will clean out the tank and fuel lines. You'd be replacing fuel filters more often until all the sludge is removed from the fuel system. biodeisel is also hard on painted surfaces, so beware of spilling during refueling.

If you feel that you need to save he planet, and need to use biodiesel, make sure you buy from a really good supplier, and one that rotates his stock on a frequent basis. If you live above the Mason-Dixon line, I would avoid biodiesel during winter months, as it will gum up your fuel system when the temp begins to drop. The major biodiesel retailer in Boston tells people not to use hi blends between Haloween and St. Patrick's day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.