BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

cleaning MAP and other sensors '09 335xi

18K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  DSXMachina 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm thinking that its worth cleaning the MAP sensor and any other sensors that are exposed to dirt and grime and can become dirty with time. I have searched for DIYs and have come up empty, I was wondering if someone could provide a DIY with pics or at least pictures of where the sensors are located, along with a list of the sensors that need/can be cleaned. Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
FYI for DIY and maintenance +

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

There are a lot of procedures in the above links.

The MAF Sensor is easy but very fragile.
The other sensors (If it ain't broke don't fix it.)
If you read the Mike Miller schedule he doesn't really say much about cleaning sensors.
And he is the maintenance authority.
The Vanos solenoids are sometimes cleaned to clear up vanos problems.

google Mike Miller BMW

#6 ·
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

There are a lot of procedures in the above links.

The MAF Sensor is easy but very fragile.
The other sensors (If it ain't broke don't fix it.)
If you read the Mike Miller schedule he doesn't really say much about cleaning sensors.
And he is the maintenance authority.
The Vanos solenoids are sometimes cleaned to clear up vanos problems.

google Mike Miller BMW
From what I have read the n54 engine doesnt have an MAF. I am getting rough cold starts, and would like to clean all my sensors to see if it helps. I have not found any DIY guide on cleaning intake sensors for the n54. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Never clean a MAP sensor. Avoid cleaning any other sensor, including your MAF sensor, unless there is an articulable reason for doing so.

#5 · (Edited)
From what I have read the n54 engine doesnt have an MAF. I am getting rough cold starts, and would like to clean all my sensors to see if it helps. I have not found any DIY guide on cleaning intake sensors for the n54. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#11 · (Edited)
The number one cause of rough cold idle* is a dirty throttle body. It's not too hard a job to do on your car. Find a DIY, get a good brush and a can of t b cleaner (Gunk makes a good cleaner). Be careful not to damage the electronic throttle by improperly moving it, and you could solve your problem.
A dirty throttle body virtually never sets a code.
*You did change your plugs already, right? And used BMW plugs?

PS When you start the car after cleaning the tb it will run worse than ever for half a minute. Give it a chance.

#17 ·
Carboned up intake valves also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.