BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thinking about trading my 2010 535i for a 2013 335i, what do the experts say?

5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  LarryboysUDM 
#1 ·
The lease is up on my 2010 535i. This is my all time favorite BMW having previously owned a 2008 550i, a 2008 535i and 2004 540i (plus of course my first Bimmer a 1975 2002!).

So not being up on the F30 3 series I am interested in any opinions from people on this forum about the 335i. All the car magazines seem to have road tested the 4 cylinder 328 but I haven't seen a review of the 335i.

With the same engine (well minus one turbo) as my current 5 series I would expect it to be faster than my current car. The factory 0 to 60 times are a little dissapointing but I know BMW is usually very conservative in these figures.

Would love to hear from someone with a new 335i to see how they like their car.

With the latest edition of the 5 Series driving more like a 7 series I think I may be better off going down to the 3 series to have a better handling car. And I haven't verified this yet but am guessing that the new 3 series is about the same dimensions as my original 2004 540i.

I appreciate the knowledge and insight of those on this board and look forward to your input.

Thanks in advance.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Bmw

See less See more
#2 ·
I had an e60 535i and now have an f30 335i.

My E60 handled just as we'll as my F30 and was on par with the f30 as far as power. IMHO, aside from new interior upgrades (which are very nice in the F30), they are very similar driving cars. I actually miss my E60. It looked awesome from every angle and had the best seats. The only thing that I didn't like on the E60 were the climate knobs and the crappy shift paddles. the e90 and f30 paddles are way more functional.

The amber halo lights on the e60 are getting a little dated though.

You have a tough decision to make. The major PLUS with the F30 is the technology advancements. driving wise, cars are very similar.

#4 ·
Thanks very much for your input.

I am 6'2" and wondering how well I will fit in the 3 series. How would you compare the interior room of your F30 vs. your E60?

p.s. I would hope the new 3 series is faster than the 535i being lighter and having the new 8 speed.
no problem. The F30 is very spacious. It seems much bigger than the e90 and seems only slightly smaller up front than the e60. Then again, I'm only 5'6" tall.

The f30 does not seem faster due to the n55 engine vs the n54 in the e60 and e90. My e90 335i was a rocket compared to my f30 335i. the e60 is very similar speed wise to my f30.

The eight speed transmission does not make it faster, but more efficient and economical as far as emission sparing and fuel saving.

I loved my e60 but skipping the new technology would always be in the back of mind. So would the memory if my e60 :). tough call.

#6 ·
Never drove a 535. Test drove a 550, felt too big for my liking.

F30 335i is a remarkable vehicle. Best I've ever owned. I love it. I've already put 2200 on in my first month of ownership. I take it out whenever I need to clear my head or just relax. I still get all warm and fuzzy every time I get out of my car after a healthy aggressive road session.

Go test drive one and see. Size wise is fine for me, but I'm only 5'11. My friend is 6'3, he had no major issues when I let him drive my car. Only concern might be the sport seats. Those side wings aren't forgiving if you are of a large stature.

#8 ·
I am 6'3" and have a 335 and have more room than I can use. I even fit in the back seat with the driver seat at my setting.

I had been shopping for a6 / 535 size cars but the new 535 drove and performed great but felt like a giant cave inside. The 335 holds me better. I feel like I can control the size of it easier.

#10 ·
The lease is up on my 2010 535i. This is my all time favorite BMW having previously owned a 2008 550i, a 2008 535i and 2004 540i (plus of course my first Bimmer a 1975 2002!).

So not being up on the F30 3 series I am interested in any opinions from people on this forum about the 335i. All the car magazines seem to have road tested the 4 cylinder 328 but I haven't seen a review of the 335i.

With the same engine (well minus one turbo) as my current 5 series I would expect it to be faster than my current car. The factory 0 to 60 times are a little dissapointing but I know BMW is usually very conservative in these figures.

With the latest edition of the 5 Series driving more like a 7 series I think I may be better off going down to the 3 series to have a better handling car. And I haven't verified this yet but am guessing that the new 3 series is about the same dimensions as my original 2004 540i.

I appreciate the knowledge and insight of those on this board and look forward to your input.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 351418
I get really attached to my cars. One reason I don't lease. You have a really nice 5er there. LOVE the M193s! (I used to have a ZHP.) The F30 is brand new. You could hold onto your 5er a few more years and get an F30 later on down the road.

#11 ·

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 351418
I think you'll really like the F30 N55.

I got a flat in mine last week (BTW, the tires come with a road hazard warranty; if you've used less than 2/32" of tread AND it's less than 12 months since delivery, a new tire and mounting plus balancing is covered); the loaner was an F30 N20.

The N20 was nice; but I missed my car. The N20 was a no-line car; my N55 is a ZSL car. It was a great opportunity to contrast the standard suspension setup against the sport suspension. It's night and day. I also missed all the tech that I have in my car.

For you coming as you are from a 5 Series, I think the F30 will give you the comfort associated with your 535i along with much more of the sport feeling BMWs are known for.

Many reviewers have panned the F30 because it's softer than the E90. That's very true -- I owned a first year E90 330i. I loved that car. And it was a demon on an autocross course.

But I use my car to drive to work everyday; I don't race it. A softer 3 Series -- with more comfort, more tech, more luxury -- meets my needs better than a "harder" successor to the E90 would have.

In short, I have E60 levels of comfort in a smaller, more technically sophisticated and, yes, softer, F30. That makes the car a far better and more exciting drive than my E90 was.

#12 ·
One of my friend just bought an F30 335i m sport and I drove it and prefer my e60 535 m sport. The seats are more comfortable and I thought the 535 was more fun to drive. Either way though you can't go wrong.

#15 ·
Put it to you this way. I have driven my friend's M-sport 2011 535i several times and on a couple of trips up to the Philly area. Compared to my 335i its not as responsive, doesn't handle as well nor do you feel as involved driving it. Don't get me wrong I am not one of those that says the new 5-series is a dud, I love that car. Its just that as a drivers car the 335i is better and in terms of room inside the cabin I would say it would be a non-issue for you at over 6 feet tall. I am exactly 6 feet 225 lbs (not fat either, I work out regularly) and have no issues at all with the interior or the sport seats.

#17 ·
Compared to my 335i its not as responsive, doesn't handle as well nor do you feel as involved driving it. Its just that as a drivers car the 335i is better.
The 1 series is more of a driver's car than the 3 series, The 3 series is more of a driver's car than the 5 series and The 5 series is more of a driver's car than the 7 series......................................

#21 · (Edited)
Depends on what you want from the car. The 5 series drives and feels like a boat. In the words of the famous JC, "it soothes your brow'. The 3 series has more sporty intentions. It's a bit more agile and nimble. What are your priorities? Comfortable? Nimble? Sporty? Fun? Dual personality? The 3 has all of them. The 5 doesn't. Make sure to drive both before making your decision.

On a good note: 80 year old woman comes in today and after about a month of her 2013 328 xDrive ownership. She loves it more then the e90 335i she had. BJ was right, the 3's demographic has changed, and gotten older so BMW's had to adapt.

#25 ·
Reading posts on the 335i or watching video reviews in youtube are helpful but the most convincing will be your test drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.