BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 35D Engine Faults

33K views 67 replies 28 participants last post by  ard 
#1 · (Edited)
Good Day Everyone,

I have had an X5 35D since late June. I have been back to the dealer twice with check engine faults related to Air Sensors. One for intake air temp and once for a mass flow sensor. Have these been a common issue?

I will add that it is nice to have the Gopoint App for the Iphone to at least have a rough idea of the check engine light issue is

#2 · (Edited)
i do not have a check engine light on but here is the problem since the first 1000 miles.

10-15 seconds after i stop the engine, it starts whinning and making these weird noises.
I never bothered to take it back to dealer to address the issue. Waiting for my service time to come up so they can address the issue.

The sound is like, a little fan constantly running somewhere inside a closed area right above the exhaust manifold or in the area where catalytic converter is located(if the diesel has one).

Anyone out there having a issue or had an issue with something like that? My suspicion is vacuum lines.

I had asked the dealer without a visit over the phone and they said not to worry about it if the check engine light is not on.

The fascinating thing is $60+K car, and still having issues.

my car is a 2011 35D

#52 ·
10-15 seconds after i stop the engine, it starts whinning and making these weird noises.
I never bothered to take it back to dealer to address the issue. Waiting for my service time to come up so they can address the issue.

The sound is like, a little fan constantly running somewhere inside a closed area right above the exhaust manifold or in the area where catalytic converter is located(if the diesel has one).
My "d" did the very same thing.The whirring noise you hear is the fan cooling the anti-freeze.Noises like that are normal.

#3 ·
zz6938,
I have noticed whining or whirring sounds after the car shuts off but have not paid close attention. There are diesel exhaust fluid(DEF) tanks on the vehicle. I wonder if what you are hearing is related to fluid transfer and purging of the lines so they do not freeze in colder climates.
Just a guess but I will pay closer attention when I can listen under the vehicle.

#5 ·
we have 2 identical X5 diesels, One does the fan /whining noise and the other one is pretty much like quiet exception of normal expected sounds.
I can understand the regular electronic based sounds, cooling down , shutting down some systems and etc.. (that may include the diesel DEF and all that.

I am talking about like a fan sound coming from passenger side engine compartment - around right under the rear edge of the engine cover towards to windshield (not the cooling fan in front of the radiator).

it starts after you shut off the engine and slowly disappears in about 3 or 4 minutes.

FYI, this is not the noise coming from the fuel pump before and after you start and stop the engine. Normally after you stop the engine, there is a consistent static noise which I think coming from the fuel line or something related to that and lasts about 30 -45 seconds. That is normal and not the issue i am addressing here.

#6 ·
2010 X5 35d check engine

I've just got my 4th check engine light in a year. 1st one had something to do with the intercooler and they had it for 2 weeks fixing it. 2nd one was a software update of some kind. 3rd one air temp sensor failure, not sure about this one yet but it's not giving me a lot of confidence in BMW products. Anyone else have 35d's with all these problems? I also have some electrical problem with the rear license plate light - on sometimes, off other times...

This is the most problematic car I've ever owned - do I just have a dog or is everyone else experiencing this too?

#8 ·
I've just got my 4th check engine light in a year. 1st one had something to do with the intercooler and they had it for 2 weeks fixing it. 2nd one was a software update of some kind. 3rd one air temp sensor failure, not sure about this one yet but it's not giving me a lot of confidence in BMW products. Anyone else have 35d's with all these problems? I also have some electrical problem with the rear license plate light - on sometimes, off other times...

This is the most problematic car I've ever owned - do I just have a dog or is everyone else experiencing this too?
Your first THREE visits sound like they were all for the same issue actually!

They had some problems with intercooler air intake plausibility faults...they muddled about for a while, finally figuring out a recall to fix it- so they recoded the DDE and replaced the temp sensor.

Interesting you cite three CELs, with separate visits for each- but no recall visit? Hmmm

#7 ·
We've had a few check engine lights. Also currently telling me that there is a "service due"...even though it has already been in for service...and has been back again since. Already had the software update and is going back for some sensor replacement when I have time. If the service wasn't so amazingly good at Calgary BMW I might be a little more annoyed.

I just assumed that everyone expected this as part of owning "the Ultimate Driving Machine." :dunno: :rofl:

#9 ·
@sbbx5d: In every German car I've owned (Porsche, Audi, MB and BMW), sensors are always an Achilles heal. There are just so darned many of them! Wish I had $100 for every throttle position sensor, steering wheel position sensor, intake temp sensor and MAF (mass air flow) sensor I've replaced over the past 20 years. I don't know if American, Japanese and Korean cars have similar issues, but it is definitely not unique to BMW.

@zz6938: Why do you assume you have a "problem"? There are lots of completely normal fan and relay noises after shut down in every BMW. E.g. the climate control system shutting the vents some 15 to 30 seconds after you power down the car. Happened with my E60, all 3 E70's and my E93. On the X5D, there is probably also a pump that circulates coolant around the turbocharger until the temp drops to a certain level - don't know this for a fact, but I strongly suspect there is.

@Cdnrockies: Sounds like your dealer is forgetting to reset the service interval in your iDrive. Not that uncommon. If you're otherwise happy with the service experience, I would look at it as a minor annoyance - unless they've changed things in the 2011's, it's very easy to go into iDrive yourself and reset.

#11 ·
1. Why change oxygen sensors FIVE times in THREE years? Does not make sense.

2. early X5s are known to have tranny issues....

3. Hope you have better luck with your diesel. Mine had some of the issues the OP had. BUT.... I was meticulous in managing the service process (admittedly you should not have to) and pressed them to deal with the issue compeltely and thoroughly- in fact I suspect my car and the PUMA case was part of the 'evidence' that was used to decide on the subsequent recall/correction they had to do.

Enjoy

A

#12 ·
ARD the issue here is you are paying for a 60K vehicle and in 3 years you have it in the shop over 10 times. That is just not right for a company like BMW. Yes they have a great loaner program and yes they bring the car to my house to pickup but there are certain expectations I have from my money and IMO BMW has fallen short with my latest car. So I am giving them my business one more time but that it.

#14 ·
The 'issue' for me is how one has FOUR oxygen sensors in 3 years and then bring it back and get told "Oxygen sensor again"...and swallow that.

Look in an ideal world you pay your money and get concierge service... but when that doesn't happen do you just change hotels hoping to find better? OR do you demand the service you've paid for?

Look, it is just a car- just money- so no big deal....but do people have the same sort of response when they get bad medical advice? Or legal advice?

One last thought-You let them drive the car to and fro? You do understand that if there is an accident it is YOUR insurance that is on the hook, right?

A

PS ard, not ARD. They are not initials either. ;)

#21 ·
the issue for me is I have had way too many problems with this car and since I have been a BMW owner for over 15 years now this was a HUGE surprise to me. In addition I do expect the service to be above what you get in a honda dealership since i am paying a lot of money for the vehicle. Let me ask you something. if you get bad medical advice to you keep going back to the same doctor? You do if you had a history and he/she made one mistake. but two mistakes? Nope I will go to someone else. Thus with BMW. If I have similar problems with the 35d BMW will lose my business, at least for a while.

As for your last point, I don't have time to take the car to the dealer, especially with all the issues I have had so yes its very nice that they can pickup and drop off a loaner. And if there is an accident thats why you have insurance in the first place.

#18 ·
Hurray for you! :rofl:

I just threw my 4 or 5th light this morning. Could be related to the ERG valve that is getting replaced next week?...or it could be tied into the -26 C weather last night. :dunno:

Either way, I'll see next week when it gets worked on.

#17 ·
My 2011 has 5000 miles and I've had 2 system faults, and one prolonged Check Engine light.

The Check Engine light set some codes - basically saying there was a communication fault. BMW (and BMWUSA) could reproduce nor find nothing, so I'm waiting for it to leave me stranded at some point.

-- Lee

#19 · (Edited)
The reliability of these vehicles is pathetic. I've been back for DEF Issues, Air Sensor, Nav System Problems, Battery/Electrical Issues, EGR Leakage, Induction Problems. I like the vehicle, but I've spent the last 2 years making regular trips back to the dealer. Many of my problems took 2 trips back to the dealer to fix properly. Dealer treats me good though. For one of my loaner cars I got a 335d. That little car is a monster. The extra weight of the X5 35d really dampens the performance. Not complaining as the 35d has plenty of power on tap regardless.

#24 ·
Many diesel owners are happy including myself. Over a year and $15K miles. Great driving performance and highly efficient engine. Has been very reliable. Only been to the dealer a couple of times including the scheduled maintenance at 10k miles. Do a forum search...

#25 ·
This is my first BMW, 7 months and 11500 miles on it. Never had a problem, got the first service done last week. The least temp I've faced is -7, day before yesterday.

#26 ·
Fuel system issues?

I've just read the latest Consumer Reports review on the 35d. For the 2011 prediction, it rates is as "Much worse than average. Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 68% below average"

I never expect BMW to be the most reliable vehicles out there, but 68% below average? The 3 items ranked at much worse than average are "fuel system, body hardware, audio system." Only time will tell if these predictions are accurate, but has anyone had fuel system issues yet?

#29 ·
I've just read the latest Consumer Reports review on the 35d. For the 2011 prediction, it rates is as "Much worse than average. Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 68% below average"

I never expect BMW to be the most reliable vehicles out there, but 68% below average? The 3 items ranked at much worse than average are "fuel system, body hardware, audio system." Only time will tell if these predictions are accurate, but has anyone had fuel system issues yet?
What does "68% below average mean"???????? Is average one visit every 5 years and 68% below is 1.68 vists per 5 years??

I think it all depends on how the owner is 'wired' about car issues, and how they manage their dealer and how good the dealer is.... some people are ready to commit suicide if the car has two issues in the first week. Disappointing, yes- but let them fix it and move on.

Having said that, I think BMW has an absolute disaster on their hands with the BS navigation/entertainment system... I expect wholesale changes to that software over time.

A

#27 ·
I have had my 35d for about 34 days now. My X5 went into the shop today. My repair history:

First visit: Bad Instrument Cluster, repaired a flaw in leather door, lubricated rear passenger door (would not close on first try), and finally left me with a free door ding on the driver's door.

Second visit: Several warning lights (Parking Brake, ABS, xDRIVE, Chassis Stabilization) - for sure the AWD is not working. Did not hear anything back from dealer today. Is it asking too much for the SA to call the customer at the end of the day to provide some feedback?

If you want a loaner at my dealer you must set up your appt two weeks in advance. Not sure how you do that when your AWD craps out.

With all this, I must say I love my new X5 35d. As an owner of several BMWs now, I expect to make several visits per year (not per month :( though.) If you are looking for guaranteed reliability and do not have the patience or want to deal with dealer visits, I think BMW is the wrong brand unless you get lucky as some percentage of BMWs do provide trouble free driving. Just a smaller percentage than other brands I guess.

#28 ·
Usually posts complaining about reliability come from people who just joined a forum looking for answers or just to complain. From what I've seen so far on this and other X5 forums is a large number of owners who are regulars on the forum and have started to have problems with their X5 (35d in particular). Mine has flaked out a couple of times already. I started posting to this forum when I had ordered the vehicle. :-(

-- Lee
2011 X5 35d

#30 ·
Usually posts complaining about reliability come from people who just joined a forum looking for answers or just to complain. From what I've seen so far on this and other X5 forums is a large number of owners who are regulars on the forum and have started to have problems with their X5 (35d in particular). Mine has flaked out a couple of times already. I started posting to this forum when I had ordered the vehicle. :-(

-- Lee
2011 X5 35d
:dunno: Lee, you completely misread my post. I'm asking if anyone has experienced any fuel system issues in reference to the CR article. I've owned 3 BMWs' and have not seen a review like this from CR (however subjective they may be). I do have a complaint about ass*** like you that make no contributions to the forum with senseless comments.

#31 ·
What are the fuel system issues of which you speak? High pressure fuel pumps? We know they were a mess on the E90 and E60 - have not heard of F10's or E70's having many (any?) problems yet. We also know folks who get all hot and bothered when they don't tighten the gas cap, throw a CEL and immediately want to find a lemon law attorney. I guess these are "fuel system issues", however trivial. Or has CR spotted something else that folks on this board haven't started carping about yet?

#37 ·
I ordered mine today and is expected to arrive in March.
Okay I figured out the OP's contributions - he doesn't even own an X5. Not sure why he feels entitled to flame folks who replied (thoughtfully) to his question. But I guess nothing should surprise me any more.

#38 ·
?

:tsk: Huh? Do I need to own an e70 right now to join the forum and ask something about its reliability? I never stated my e70 ownership status (nor would it matter?), but I guess that makes me inferior to you in addition to not having "entitlement" to a reply.

Oh, wait a minute, this is a waste of everyone's time and I'm not here to make any enemies. I enjoy the forum and am a BMW enthusiast like many here. If you want to take this outside, I'll meet you at the baseball field by your house after work.

#39 ·
Ownership is absolutely not needed to ask questions. But when you start calling people who respond to your questions ass*****s, you cross a line. Sorry if you don't get that or like it, but it's not going to endear you to anyone here.

#42 ·
I've had a DEF malfunction issue (1 week to fix...part needed from the Fatherland) and my alternator died (1 week...part from Deutchland) in 19 months and 22K miles.Much worse that my two Infinities (7 years,80K miles...no malfunction visits).But my "d" is far more exciting than either of the Nissans (although they were fine cars).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.