BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just past 200,000 miles - Vanos Repair Next

5K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Nervous 
#1 ·
I just rolled past 200k the other night in the 540i, also just ordered and received the Besian Systems Vanos repair kit for the V8 Vanos'. I am literally so tired of this car sounding like a freaking Russian Tractor on a frigid Siberian morning when I pull up to a stoplight in traffic. I am sure folks look at our cars with the rackety sounding Vanos and wonder WTF!?

I will tackle this repair in the next couple weeks and will report back to folks how it went, and if the noise subsides with the repair. That THUCK, THUCK, THUCK vanos sound is annoying as hell, and for a luxury sedan to make such a noise is embarrassing.

I did the timing chain guides, and all the other associated vanos specific repairs (minus any actual vanos wheel work) outlined in the Besian documents in early 2012 and have be waiting for Besian to work out the kinks in their Vanos repair process. Now that the V8 kit is available I'm hopeful the noise will disappear.

Wish me luck...

#4 ·
I have 295,000 and haven't done any vanos repairs...yet. I also have that thuck thuck noise. I thought the timing chain guide rails would have fixed that. I did them a year ago and it still sounds the same so it looks like I'll be doing a vanos repair soon too. I get asked often enough about the "rod knock" that I have come up with the explanation that it is normal and has been doing it for years! I'm really curious as to how hard the job is and if it restores power too. Good luck!

#5 ·
Finally Done!!

Ok guys, I purchased the Besian Vanos repair kit for my M62TU motor in middle December. I had a spare pair of Vanos wheels on the workbench and I did the repair per Besian guidelines. I also purchased an extra Teflon seal per Besian suggestions and I'm glad I did. The first o-ring and Teflon seal went in without a hitch, no wrinkles and had it done in 5 minutes. The second o-ring went in easy but the Teflon seal fought me every step of the way and I wasn't happy with the final install of that seal. I removed it and installed the third Teflon seal and that one went in just as easily as the first. Go figure....

Those Vanos wheels sat on the workbench until Thursday of this week when I finally had time to tear into the motor. I own the timing tools so at least i didnt have to wrangle those tools from anyone. For anyone that has done this repair, it's not difficult, it's just time consuming as hell since you have to remove/reinstall so much stuff. This is the third time I have timed the car and it again came off without a hitch. Car runs great and no codes so far.

Now to the sound...*****, I can't recall the last time this car was this quite!! No more russian tractor sound, and I can now pull up next to a drive up window and not be embarrassed that a luxury sport sedan sounds like its about to rattle apart. Low end power has returned!! I haven't driven it super hard yet, as I always give the repair a couple days to make sure I didn't screw something up and it rears its ugly head. I would rather have something happen at low speed than at wide open, high rev shifts when something lets go.. So far I am one happy camper with the repair. I have a week of driving ahead so I hope to report back at the end of this week with a follow up.

If you need to do this job, get with it. You won't be disappointed! I took the top end apart on Thursday evening and started again at 10am Friday morning and was totally done by 3pm Friday afternoon. I take my time so I don't stress nor rush and screw something up.

#7 ·
That's strange. I thought VANOS was not a worry on our V8's. My engine has 184k miles on it and it's relatively quiet at idle. Are you referring to a thud/knocking noise at start-up or during idle?

thanks!

#13 · (Edited)
These are the upgraded so far.
1. Spare delete
2. Dual x pipe with canisters, no rez
3. Led Angel Eyes and HID kit

Attachments

#16 ·
V8 m62tu

If you have the M62TU motor then you have Vanos. It's my understanding that 97-99 V8's did not have Vanos. Late 99 build dates, and those listed as 2000 model year V8's and beyond have the Vanos. You will get the rattle at startup, and at idle your car sounds like a tractor.

To each his own on performing the repair. These cars are supposed to be quiet at idle and startup, so what you choose to accept in the sound and performance of your car is for you to decide. I literally could not take the sound any longer. My car is now quiet once again, and the low end performance is back.

As the Teflon seals within the Vanos ages and losses its ability to retain the oil behind that Teflon seal, your variable valve timing degrades and is off slightly from what it should be. this in turn degrades your low end power, and also how the timing reacts to throttle demands. Since this Teflon aging happens over time, we as drivers don't notice the subtle degradation in power and become used to how our cars respond. Once the Vanos have been repaired, you will notice the difference. I have put 200 miles on the car since the repair and I couldn't be happier with the results.

This repair is straight forward if you have the timing tools, etc. (I own the timing tools) But if you're one of those guys that should never ever approach a car with a screwdriver in your hand, i.e. not mechanically inclined, you may want to seek out help from someone on the board that is local to you. I'm in Frisco Texas, DFW area, so if your local I am a resource for you. Just reach out!

#22 ·
If you have the M62TU motor then you have Vanos. It's my understanding that 97-99 V8's did not have Vanos. Late 99 build dates, and those listed as 2000 model year V8's and beyond have the Vanos. You will get the rattle at startup, and at idle your car sounds like a tractor.
Ok, My car DOES rattle at startup but it has always idled quietly since I've owned the car (8 years now). So I guess I can go a while without doing VANOS since it's only at startup. Does VANOS require removing valve covers, heads, etc?

#24 ·
What is the area you live in? I'm in Ventura and will be doing mine in a couple of weeks. Still need to order the CCV parts since I will be doing that at the same time. Would be great to witness a "VANOS operation" before I attack mine. Would not mind to get my hands dirty and am getting familiar with the Beisan procedure after reading it many times.

Harold

#23 ·
Steps for Vanos

You can look at the steps involved for the Vanos repair on Besian Systems procedures page at their website, but to answer your question, yes you must remove valve covers, upper timing chain covers on both sides. You also have to drain coolant, remove upper radiator hoses and the fan. Straight forward, just time consuming but can be done in a day if you have everything handy.

#26 ·
JetPilot,

I just read the entire procedure and I think I'll be asking my mechanic to do this job. LOL. Anyways, one question for you: did you have to replace your crankshaft chain tensioner? Nowhere in the instructions does it talk about replacing it. It just lists it as parts to replace.

#29 ·
Working awesome

Ok so I have put about 800 miles on the car since Vanos repair and I still couldn't be happier. The car is quiet, like it should be, and I don't get the weird looks from folks at stoplights with their windows down wondering what the hell is wrong with the car that it sounds like freight train...

Car runs great, sounds great and performs like a V8 should!

#30 ·
Nice job, most Vanos problems are reported in I6 models, but apparently V8 also has this issue.
I don't think it is anyone's fault, any parts (whether it is brake pad or Vanos seals or aircraft parts) have their lifespans.

After 120K, most engine gaskets, seals, start to degrade slowly.

Great job, glad your car goes past 200K, these engines last a long time, if well taken care of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.