BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Opening my door

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  lawman800 
#1 ·
Why is it that after I have turned off the car, and removed the key ... when I pull on the door handle to open it, it does not open? I have to release it and pull it again, every time? Annoying...

#2 ·
Related to door locks

I know if you have the doors locked you must do this. I believe the first time you pull the handle you are unlocking the door and the second time you open the door. We got used to this pretty quickly and now find ourselves trying to do it in our non-BMW car.

#3 ·
That my friend..

That is an "accdental opening of the door " prevention that new cars all seem to have.
Weird I know. You should be able to at least disable that crap if you don't have kids. Or if you are not suicidal or anything.
I always disliked that feature and yes, I detest it too.
325ic a beer:drink: :beerchug: :hi:

#5 ·
Man. The door should just open.

Thats ridiculous. I assume the button on center of dash is basically unlocking the doors...

If so ... not an acceptable solution.

Door needs to just open.

#7 ·
Your doors lock when you drive over a certain MPH. If you don't want to "double open" your door, go into your iDrive for vehicle settings and change the lock doors option so that the doors do not lock when the car moves off.

In other words, you can "single open" your door if you agree that the doors will not be locked after moving off. Your choice. I got used to it. You will too, unless you decide that you don't want your doors locked after you start driving.

#8 ·
It's a BMW Thing

Mr. New to BMW:

You are in for some fun. I call it the double click. This feature is programmable in the 7er by the dealer so perhaps you can ask them to make your 6er the one click like the other cars. Personally I like it; it distingishes BMW from the rest. (IMO)

If you have not done so already I would take an hour and read the manual. You will quickly get up to speed on your first Bimmer. Of course you are more than welcome to spend time on this forum and we will gladly help.

Have fun, don't be so serious and most of all... Enjoy the drive!:D

GMAN

#9 ·
gbelton said:
Mr. New to BMW:

You are in for some fun. I call it the double click. This feature is programmable in the 7er by the dealer so perhaps you can ask them to make your 6er the one click like the other cars. Personally I like it; it distingishes BMW from the rest. (IMO)

If you have not done so already I would take an hour and read the manual. You will quickly get up to speed on your first Bimmer. Of course you are more than welcome to spend time on this forum and we will gladly help.

Have fun, don't be so serious and most of all... Enjoy the drive!:D

GMAN
Gman, forgive me, but it sounds like you haven't read the manual, either. At least Nevervana has the excuse that he's only had the car for a day. While the 7er door locking feature is programmable by the dealer, in the 6er it's programmable by the driver. That's what I had just posted above you.

But, you are right. Nevervana has to get off this Board and do some driving. :drive: Like Phunky whom we rarely hear from these days. He's enjoying his car. And completely rebuilding it a la Alpina.

#10 ·
I'm out of town and away from my car so I can't check but I think there's an I-drive option to unlock the doors too when you park, isn't there? I don't remember having to pull twice on my 6 but maybe I'm so used to it I just don't notice anymore. (my 4th bimmer)

#11 ·
Nevervana - It's programmable from the iDrive. Try this little trick and you will see why the first pull on the door handle unlocks the door: Pull it once. Then push the door lock button in the middle of the dashboard. You will see that the door has been re-locked. Try the opposite - unlock the door from the button, and you will see you have only one pull on the handle. So, it's a safety device.

When BMW designed these cars it must have had a bunch of lawyers on the team. :tsk: The "accept" screen that so annoyingly demands to have you push the iButton is only one manifestation of that. This is another. I got used to it because I wanted the doors to lock when I moved off.

Your choice.

#12 · (Edited)
Ill get to the manual eventually. After I have thoroughly asked every single possible question on these forums first :flipoff:

Thats a double flip off for you guys who like doing things twice... :)

Love,

Nevervana

Love,

Nevervana

PS... does that "distinguish me from the rest", or is it annoying?

is it annoying?

:):):):)

#14 ·
Lock

Nevervana said:
Why is it that after I have turned off the car, and removed the key ... when I pull on the door handle to open it, it does not open? I have to release it and pull it again, every time? Annoying...
You used to have an AUDI, right?
AUDI has the same feature in his cars. I had it in my A6. You get used to it after a while.
Unless you manually unlock it first and then oen the door.

#15 ·
Nevervana said:
Ill get to the manual eventually. After I have thoroughly asked every single possible question on these forums first :flipoff:
All right, lazy bones, I'll walk you through it. Go to Vehicle Settings on your iDrive screen. (Press the button to bring up the menu, then press the button again and don't go to any of the 4 compass positions. That will get you into the menu for "Vehicle Settings.")

Then go to Door Locks. Then Central Locking. That will bring up a number of choices including Lock After Driving. Move your iButton to hover over that selection and press to insert the check in the box or delete it (toggle, in other words). Yours should currently be on (checked).

#16 ·
Steve645 said:
I wouldn't suggest going into your I Drive and changing the door lock setting. It's a safety feature for passengers including yourself. I assume it also serves as an anti car jacking device.
A couple of months ago, I think it was in September or October; someone got jacked in a 6 here in Vegas. Driver was a younger guy and refused to give up the car. They killed him as he tried to drive away. They had a picture in the local paper showing the car crashed in the parking lot. Love the car, but not that much. I guess as we get older, we realize that we are not indestructible.

#17 · (Edited)
Lost in Translation

Malibubimmer said:
Gman, forgive me, but it sounds like you haven't read the manual, either. That's what I had just posted above you.
Hey Malibu,

On the contrary I have read my 645, 650 and 750 manuals; can't say I remember everything though...:D You did mention previously that the 6er could be programmed to one click but I referred to (At least I was thinking I did) to the one click in relation to the 7er and possibly the 6er could benefit from a dealer programming this feature that exists in the 7er.

In the 7er with the doors locked it is a one click not two once programmed. What you described seems like the doors remain unlocked and of course you can open the door in one click. Repeat: I was referring to having the dealer program your 6er doors to one click instead of two. If this is possible for the 6er like the 7er once programmed. I believe the one click, two click got lost in translation somehow.:dunno:

Anyway, no big deal. It's okay that you made your statement because I forgive you and you're still my friend.:angel: Besides, we are BOF by golly, we both bought 6ers and are having such fun driving and discussing them.

Till the next time we meet.:p

GMAN

#19 ·
Hogwash. My Audi locked at 10mph and it only took one pull to simultaneously unlock and open the driver side door.

Seems like common sense to me! Pulling twice is just plain wacky.

Unless, as someone pointed out, Bimmers are trying to help save the suicidal ???

#20 ·
Driving in LA, I set all my cars to autolock as soon as I get in or as soon as the car moves an inch. YMMV. The double click unlocking is fine with me. It just means another split second for me to not walk out to the dangerous and cold, cruel world.

#21 ·
1: There is no way to disable the double pull IF the car doors are locked. What Malibubimmer showed was how to keep the car from locking its doors automatically. Therefore if the doors are not locked, it only takes one pull.

2: As for the dipstick, the '06's don't have a dipstick. You monitor oil level via the idrive.

#26 · (Edited)
chuck92103 said:
Rancho Cucomonga:confused:

Just kidding, I just like saying Rancho Cucomonga. :D
A buddy of mine plays on their local basketball team the "Rancho Cucomonga Cracka Killas". LA is always shady, even in the best parts of it. Thing is you pretty much have to drive through a bad area in order to get from one county to the next. Now i know you can do that via freeways but i doubt you'd remember to lock your doors if you were exiting to fuel up for instance. You get used to the double pull pretty quick, it really doesn't bother me at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.