BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Spec E30 car build question

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  markseven 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to purchase my first 325 to get into the Spec E30 series, but was wondering if anyone had any input on which base car (325i or 325is) would be preferable? I understand the iS comes standard with LSD and closer gear ratios 1st-3rd...are these two features alone worth the extra price to find an is over an i?

Thanks!

#7 ·
engine oil cooler

Code:
it had an engine oil cooler
Thanks for mentioning it :thumbup:
I want to retrofit one into my 323, as we think 100F is a balmy day :yikes:
The cooler is not the issue, but the adapter to the engine :dunno:
I do not want one of these generic adapters that flows oil through the cooler on start-up :thumbdwn:, but one that only starts flowing through the cooler upon a certain oil temperature being reached :thumbup:
Where can I get such ?

I suppose the pressure hose I need to plumb into the turbo later on, will come from the oil pressure switch ?

#9 ·
Code:
it had an engine oil cooler
Thanks for mentioning it :thumbup:
I want to retrofit one into my 323, as we think 100F is a balmy day :yikes:
The cooler is not the issue, but the adapter to the engine :dunno:
I do not want one of these generic adapters that flows oil through the cooler on start-up :thumbdwn:, but one that only starts flowing through the cooler upon a certain oil temperature being reached :thumbup:
Where can I get such ?

I suppose the pressure hose I need to plumb into the turbo later on, will come from the oil pressure switch ?
the factory BMW ones are like that. but being from africa, you will find one very easy to get, ever SA built 325i had an oil cooler from the factory

dont they have stiffer springs?
they were optional on all E30s, only came standard on M325i and M3

#12 · (Edited)
Have you read the rules yet?

There are 2 gearbox part numbers allowed, and have the same ratio's. You have to run a 3.73 final drive, H&R Race springs and Bilstien Sport dampers. Any sway bars are allowed, but have to be attached to the control arms (no m3 style mounting), and have a limit on the amount of camber/caster you adjust. Strut bars are permitted as are electric fans, power steering delete, A/C delete. There's more, but not going to go into into it here, just read the rules...

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/spec30_rules.pdf

In all honesty, best to start with a 318 shell if you are going to piece it together, saves you the time of removing all the sound deadening.

My friends and I are almost finished with one Se30 car and are building 2 more. Glad to see more racers out there coming up :)

#14 ·
All b25's came with oil coolers. The 325eS and 325iS came factory with sport seats, different lip or air dam, LSD final drive and trunk spoiler. No iS or eS in sedan formats.

Gasturbine, enter the last 7 numbers of your vin into realoem.com and you will see all the options our car came with. Being older cars, they often have swapped parts.

#15 ·
All b25's came with oil coolers.
Huh? I thought my engine was an M20?

Gasturbine, enter the last 7 numbers of your vin into realoem.com and you will see all the options our car came with. Being older cars, they often have swapped parts.
Ive been down this road before. Sites says nothing about sport seats, but first owner insists those were the original seats when he bought the car off the floor. :dunno:

#19 ·
Thermostat in oil cooler circuit ?

Markseven, before you get me more confused than a baby in a topless bar
Code:
Those are notorious for being stuck open or closed. You may want to source a new one or an aftermarket unit.
Are talking bout the H2O Thermostat or one in the Oil-cooler adapter circuit ?
On the Oil cooler adapter, what are the possibilities ?

I have a 323 without a Oil cooler and am looking on how to adapt this oil system to such.
The cooler itself is not the issue, but how does one plumb it to the lubrication system. On the ETK it looks like it is part of the Oil filter housing assembly, but I cannot go deeper than that...

#20 ·
Markseven, before you get me more confused than a baby in a topless bar
Code:
Those are notorious for being stuck open or closed. You may want to source a new one or an aftermarket unit.
Are talking bout the H2O Thermostat or one in the Oil-cooler adapter circuit ?
On the Oil cooler adapter, what are the possibilities ?

I have a 323 without a Oil cooler and am looking on how to adapt this oil system to such.
The cooler itself is not the issue, but how does one plumb it to the lubrication system. On the ETK it looks like it is part of the Oil filter housing assembly, but I cannot go deeper than that...
Hey man, sorry, I was mistaken, the thermo is not serviceable. You need to get the whole oil filter housing. IIRC, the cooler reduces temps by 4°, so it may not even be worth it... except for more oil capacity due to the cooler itself.

#21 ·
Oil filter to cooler housing number ?

The story behind Oil coolers on high revving motors is that the oil temperature increases exponentially with RPM. I did a study for Toyota on underhood temperatures :bigpimp:
If I want to fit a Turbo...

Anybody got a part# for this oil filter housing with cooler connections ?
Will this fit on my 323 block ?

#22 ·
The story behind Oil coolers on high revving motors is that the oil temperature increases exponentially with RPM. I did a study for Toyota on underhood temperatures :bigpimp:
If I want to fit a Turbo...

Anybody got a part# for this oil filter housing with cooler connections ?
Will this fit on my 323 block ?
With a turbo, don't you want to relocate the filter anyway?

I don' know if it the housing you want will fit - Andy will prolly be able to say yes or no.

PNs:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1113&mospid=47309&btnr=11_4329&hg=11&fg=30

#23 ·
Thanks for the link Markseven :thumbup:
On my 323 the Filter is bolted directly onto the block.
So I am not sure whether the Oil filter head 11421711070 will just bolt on and voilá ?

Why would you think I need to relocate the filter with a Turbo set-up ?
Will it be in the way ?
I have not yet decided on where to purchase my Manifold and what Turbo to use, as I first want to see what lurks under my cylinder-head ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.