BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

937 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Z3PcolaMikey 
#1 ·
Hello there, i am a new member, as well as a new found lover of BMW's. I have not yet puchased my first BMW, but plan on it very shortly. If you dont mind, i have a few questions as to which 3-series i might buy. First off, if there is a site, or thread you know of, PLEASE send me to it. I am a car enthusiast, so i am not completely ignorant to automotive training or know-how, most of my knowledge is about GM's, but i admit, my knowledge about specific BMW motors and etc. is quite nill, so excuse me for asking some elementary questions. I am pretty much looking at the 325, 328 or 330 2-door models from late 90's up to about 04. What i am looking for is a 6cyl, manual transmission i can play with. I have all intentions on finding one i can sort of rebuild, but right now i am pretty much just gathering up information. Anything anyone can help me with, i am MUCH appreciated. Thank you.

#3 ·
Welcome to the fest!

Got a budget you are working with? If you want something to rebuild/work on then you may want to think about an older E30 which are less dependent on electronics and more home-mechanic-friendly. Plus you could probably find a nice M3 for the price of a later 325/328/330.

#4 ·
i am looking to spend up to around 15000. The electronics is really not an issue with me. My father has a snap-on diagnostics computer and has bmw up to 03. I plan on redoing the entire interior myself any how, the reason for wanting a older one, or atleast one that needs some rebuilding is because i dont want to neccessarily take apart a perfectly beautiful car that has no problems, ha. One thing i am curious about are the interchangeablities of the motors between most of the 3-series or atleast the ability to upgrade certain parts, ie., heads, cams etc. I am lacking in the motor names and and specs. I have looked up some of them. I appreciate the responses, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.