BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dealer says I need a new cylinder head...thoughts?

25K views 153 replies 39 participants last post by  turbi 
#1 ·
Background:
Bought car at 33k.
No problems until 36k. Problem occurred where idle was a little rough and acceleration from stop felt like it was 'kicking' until over 1k RPM. SES light comes on eventually. Brought to dealer. They kept it for 4 weeks, could NOT figure it out, PUMA case opened. After 4 weeks they gave it back saying it was fixed after 'significant diagnostics'. They gave no diagnosis but it was fine. I prodded further through phone calls but no official fix provided. The car ran great for 3.5 months.

March 2012: Issue from before re-occurs. SES light occurs, and same symptoms (rough idle, kicking randomly, kicking at acceleration whether in 1st or 2nd gear from a stop). Brought to dealer. They mentioned they would look at it immediately and they did. They've had it for a week, tried 'replacing a few parts'. I asked them to look at the MAF sensor, no dice unless they just ignored my suggestion.

Today get a call from my SA, they want to replace the cylinder head. They asked me to call back but I imagine it was just to explain and get permission. Anything seem off here to anyone else? This is a big fix that I am certainly worried about at 40k miles......

See less See more
#51 ·
Just trying to help a brotha out! :thumbup: :D

We need to nudge the whole IC thing along again. I have reached out to the guys in the UK to see if anyone installed an aftermarket IC, w/no such luck. Looks like we US guys will have to figure out a way to tackle this one ourselves. I may have to suck it up and head up to HPF. Maybe that forum member that wanted to pay for Ronin to insall IC will be just as eager to pay for the HPF? :)

#54 ·
With 66k on my car, I think I'm a prime candidate for the EGR bypass. What do you guys think? :)

#58 · (Edited)
Uh o, I think my X5 has 2 egr systems.... Although one may be able to turn off with just a coolant sensor reading. Notice temp sensor #1 in picture 3. The Last pic appears to be how the system works for 3 series

Attachments

#62 ·
EGR/Cylinder head problem

I too am dealing with an EGR/cylinder head replacement ordeal with what used to be VOB bmw in Rockville, md. They've had my car for almost a month now. So far they've reinstalled the ecu software, replaced cylinder #2, EGR valve, and now they tell me it is throwing a code for cyliner #4. The 2010 335d has 44K miles and I'm worried this could be a continual and very expensive issues once it goes out of warranty. Any thoughts?

#65 ·
I too am dealing with an EGR/cylinder head replacement ordeal with what used to be VOB bmw in Rockville, md. They've had my car for almost a month now. So far they've reinstalled the ecu software, replaced cylinder #2, EGR valve, and now they tell me it is throwing a code for cyliner #4. The 2010 335d has 44K miles and I'm worried this could be a continual and very expensive issues once it goes out of warranty. Any thoughts?
This is almost the exact sequence of events for my car also. Still at the dealership as the head took 2 weeks to get here from Germany. I'll keep everyone updated but certainly concerning that I am not the only one...

#64 ·
It's beginning to sound like the engineers at BMW have (had) a flawed approach to feeding our engines with the EGR. Unfortunately, when I read the description of the complicated EGR system (does BMW know any other way?) that they put on our engines, I'm concerned that we might not be able to install a simple bypass.

I hope we can figure this one out - I have been planning to keep the car, and this issue is, to me, very worrisome.

#72 ·
Soot buildup on EGR and Head

Finally, after 32 days, got my 2010 335d back from dealer. They basically replaced the cylinder head, EGR, and DDE(not sure what that is), as well as most of the sensors. What scares the hell out of me is that the SA told me when I picked up the car that the labor alone, if not under warranty, would have been $14,000!! I have 45K miles on the car. He also said the only explanation for the buildup is that I'm not driving the car hard enough.
What can I do? I love the car. For me, it's the perfect combo. of power, handling, and economy. Having said that, I can't rationalize keeping it if I'm going to have to have the whole engine de-gunked every 40K miles. What do you all think about this???
:confused:

#73 ·
Finally, after 32 days, got my 2010 335d back from dealer. They basically replaced the cylinder head, EGR, and DDE(not sure what that is), as well as most of the sensors. What scares the hell out of me is that the SA told me when I picked up the car that the labor alone, if not under warranty, would have been $14,000!! I have 45K miles on the car. He also said the only explanation for the buildup is that I'm not driving the car hard enough.
What can I do? I love the car. For me, it's the perfect combo. of power, handling, and economy. Having said that, I can't rationalize keeping it if I'm going to have to have the whole engine de-gunked every 40K miles. What do you all think about this???
:confused:
I got mine back yesterday also. Same parts replaced as you (Cylinder head, head gasket, EGR Valve, DDE (it is part of the computer that throws the SES lights). My SA told me 9k in parts, probably 5k in labor. Extended warranty time.....mine is at 41k miles.

#74 ·
I say BS to the reason being not driving it hard enough. Do not know why but everytime I hear a person given that reason for any car, I cringe. I have heard that reason given from anything to a simple gas powered Bug all te way up to high end AMGs.

#79 ·
I think there may be some truth to the not driving the 335d hard enough. Diesel engines generally thrive on being loaded down so that they reach operating temperature. 425 lb torque moving 3800lb car hardly puts a load on the engine when driven "normally". The x5 on the other hand is heavier and I'm sure the 3.0 is worked harder thus reaching operating temperature quicker. The dealer that fixed mine stated they have not seen any carbon buildup issues with the same engine in the x5d. I'm curious if anyone with an X5 has had similar issues.

#76 ·
32 days :eek:

You need to look into your states lemon laws. Seems to me, they are just throwing parts at a problem and hoping they stick.

Lemon it out and get see if you can find a leftover '11 hanging around somewhere for a smoking deal, and hope that its not a design problem.

Jay

#77 ·
Mine was there for 42 days. At least 30 of them was 'waiting for parts from Germany'.

#83 ·
Additive might help if for some reason the build up is from a dirty burning fuel. But these cars are direct injection motors and I'd think it would have to be very, very, very dirty to then maybe cause your issue. I highly doubt the issue was caused by quality of fuel combustion.

#85 ·
Just came across this thread. We had the same symptoms in our 335d - rough idle, hesitation on initial acceleration. VOB also did our repair, and wound up replacing the cylinder head. This was in January of this year, so prior to the OP's problems. I will say that VOB service was great. They never told us that we were driving the car wrong, and ours is a DD so also sees a mix of highway and city. We told the SA that we pretty much only use BP fuel, and he agreed that was about the best we could get. We are closing in on 2.5 yrs and 30k miles, and what really worries me is whether this problem will come up again. This is the first BMW that we bought rather than leased. The car is paid off and we planned to keep this one a long time - we really love it. But, now I'm rethinking our decision. No idea what the extended warranty would cost, or what we would get on a trade just as our warranty is running out. Honestly, as much as I love BMW, this whole experience and the fact that we are not an isolated incident has me thinking that it may be time to look at other brands. Thoughts?

#87 · (Edited)
That is good to hear that BMW of Rockville (formly VOB) was able to get you squared away. They've really turned a corner at this dealership.

That being said, this issue is very much a concern to me, although less so while under warranty. I will most certainly buy the extended warranty. I would be curious to know if it is this problem that precipitated the EGR recall?

#86 ·
Just thought I'd add to this discussion. Had a similar problem with the car shuddering on idle and the SES light coming on. Took them several days to diagnose. Turned out to be carbon buildup in the entire engine (intakes, injectors, cylinders) and I'm outside of warranty (85k miles). Went back and forth with BMW N.A. customer service and eventually they agreed to pick up the costs to repair. Took weeks to get parts from Germany -- finally got the car back today.

I'm curious at the reasons for the buildup. Would the problems that led to the EGR-related recall result in this kind of buildup?

#88 ·
Yeah it is something I am still concerned about and will be getting the extended warranty through 100k for peace of mind. The other option is to sell/trade it but I just love driving it so much....

#94 · (Edited)
Hi,
Can the EGR system be blocked off with a solid gasket vers one with a hole in it. I have done this mod on new Toyota V6 Hilux to fix the light throttle serge, seems to me that stopping the exhaust gas re entry in to the intake system will fix all the problems.
If the cylinder head is being replaced due carbon build up one would enquire why the old one can not be cleaned to remove the carbon.
Dave.

#95 ·
No, not without throwing the car into limp mode and check engine lights. There is promise of an egr bypass in the UK, but they have a different egr than the us spec cars, which is a problem in itself. Perhaps one day someone with the skill-set will fabricate an egr bypass for our cars and that there is a reprogrammer that can deal with ensuing check engine light.

#96 · (Edited)
The primary problem would be programing, just block it off at the beginning by not allowing it entry to the egr cooler from the exhaust system seems trivial. A bit of stainless steel with a few holes punched in it to connect each side, there also is a controllable valve, maybe just program the valve to shut w/o throwing code.

#102 ·
Oh damn, that sucks. I will say that is why I went with the BMW warranty.

So your warranty company won't pay because it is emissions related, and BMW won't pay because they say it isn't? Somebody is wrong but that is going to be tough to convince one of them...

#105 ·
Sounds about right (cost-wise). I had the cylinder head replaced, EGR valve and a million other parts replaced and between parts and labor it was a bit over $14,000. Of course, this was covered 100% under warranty. It was the obvious #1 reason I got the extended warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.