BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

3.2L Goodness

Tags
:3 i was here
32K views 368 replies 30 participants last post by  TheFinanceGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up an S52 today to replace the big hole in the front of my car. :)

I only have a terrible cell phone picture at the moment, since it's still sitting in my mom's van.

Details:
-Comes with all pulley accessories, but no OBDII-specific stuff included except coils and VC
-Newish PS pump, hoses and res.
-He was nice enough to let me cut out the temp sensor pigtail, so I don't have to buy an overpriced adapter.
-Rogue Engineering underdrive pulleys

Best part: only $1100 :D

I'm going to swap all of the OBDI intake stuffs and harness from my M50 along with the 3.5" MAF I bought for the stroker. Can't wait!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I wonder at the end of all this work if it would have been cheaper to just buy an ///m....

I'm excited to see how fast you do this swap though :)

Good luck!

#6 ·
Thanks!

Eh, M3 might have been cheaper, I'm only $3-5k in on this car (I don't actually keep track, so it's probably more :rofl:). Definitely less work, though.
My thought exactly. I hope nothing is wrong with it, but that's like less than half the going rate, more like 1/3rd.

With that said, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: Very jelly.
I know the guy and I remember when he had it in his car, but he totaled the car a couple months ago. So there's nothing immediately wrong with it, but it's got 180k, so it's going to need some stuff soon enough. Also, keep in mind that it is missing a lot of the stuff I don't need.

#9 ·
Who knows. It already has some slack in the output flange that causes slight jerking from decel to accel, and vice versa. I need a new clutch setup, too, since mine is starting to slip under high load. I'll probably go with the F1 setup, and I've been keeping an eye out for a local ZF.

#13 ·
$1,100 isnt too far off...I got my complete s50 with all accesories, cluster, wiring harness, dme, trans, driveshaft and diff for $2650 about 2 years ago with only 89k on everything. IM stoked for you cj.

#18 · (Edited)
Just put it in my garage right now. Tonight I'll take everything off the S52 that I don't need, take everything off the M50 that's being swapped, label the harness, swap the clutch and transmission. Then hopefully most everything will be done over the weekend. I'll probably forget some part, have to wait all week for it, but then it should be running by next weekend. :)

I put a new slave in over the summer, but when I pulled it out of the trans, it came out in two pieces... It's good to be put back together, right?

#21 ·
****ty luck continues... Oh well. At least I made some progress tonight. The harness is off the M50 and all labeled up, and the S52 is stripped of the stuff I don't need.

Damage from the day:

-Both M50 knock sensors disintegrated upon removal. I'm think I'm gonna splice in the S52 sensors, it should work (connector is different).

-Stripped a bellhousing bolt, I'll have to cut the head off tomorrow.

-Looks like the rear main seal on the S52 is leaking

-Slave cylinder fell in two pieces, and rod is 30%ish worn down on one side from rubbing against something :confused:

#27 ·
Thanks!

We'd make a good team. You'd be the brains and I'd be the muscle :thumbup:
Great work CJ :thumbup:

Side note: Ken, a visit this summer isn't impossible... Waiting on a few things to fall into place atm...
Thanks Ed.

I think we need to start the "Bring Ken to bimmerfest fund". :thumbup:
Make that progress bro! I wanna see this at our meet :thumbup:
That's my deadline!
:rofl::rofl:

#23 ·
Great work CJ :thumbup:

Side note: Ken, a visit this summer isn't impossible... Waiting on a few things to fall into place atm...

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.