BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I joined Leslierc as a former 7 Series Owner

9K views 69 replies 24 participants last post by  Wolfman64 
#1 · (Edited)
I too, hope I am still welcome on our Board....I have had (3) 7 Series & like 8 or 9 BMWs, so I know and love the brand, but I could just not control my temptation, lust and a great deal!!! :) :thumbup:

I loved, loved my 2012 AH7...but after spending 4 days with a Rolls Royce Ghost loaner car, it planted a seed in my head & that damned Ghost was all I thought about, LOL!

My Ghost arrived Sunday afternoon (well, actually my spouse knew how much I wanted one & even went and got and the exact car I wanted...colour, packages and options)...so as a Birthday surprise, it was delivered Sunday. We are both car nuts, so it was SO fun. The birth of my son, getting married, graduating from UCLA and having a Rolls Rolls suprised delivered for my Birthday...the 4 greatest days of my life!!!

As I spend more time with it, I will post detailed comparisons to the 7 Series. As most of us know, the Ghost is 7 Series based. And they are VERY, VERY similar. Even down to that stupidly placed trunk release button :dunno: he he he

Immediate Rolls Royce 'Good':
Even with Run on Flat Goodyear tires, the Ghost is amazing comfortable, road noise and road imperfections are just swallowed and silenced.

The 6.6 liter V-12 is Amazing!!!! and the ZF 8 speed transmission is butter smooth like the 7 Series.

Leather, wood, plastics and real metal everywhere are of the absolute up most quality. Rolls Royce cuts NO corners on interiors...it is truly a work of art!

Real LED driving lights!! :D

Rolls Royce "Bad":
Even though the Ghost has BMW's Brake Energy Regenerative brakes...the brake dust is awful!!! I could go days & days with the AH7 and there was almost no dust. I drive the Ghost down the street & the wheels are dusty (they are very easy to clean though, and the Chrome finish is so polished and slippery, brake dust comes off super, super easily).

The steering wheel is tradt'l Rolls Royce big and thin (so used to BMW M Sport thick steering wheels).

Instruments are not back lit during the day like BMW 7 Series. HVAC is phenomenal, but there are no Temperature numbers (68F, 72F...) Just tradt'l dials with blue and red.

Even here in L.A., I usually go weeks or months w/o seeing a Rolls Royce. I am not used to people ripping their smartphones out of their pockets to try and take a pic or video me driving down the street in my Rolls Royce. And at Target, Trader Joes, Toys R Us...it causes a parking lot commotion. I do not like this attention; it's out of my comfort zone!

I have wanted a Rolls Royce since I was a SMALL child in the 1970's! I even had a poster of a Silver Shadow on my wall...when I was in Kindergarten. So, this is a life long material dream come true. I feel humbled, blessed and beyond fortunate!

See less See more
#37 ·
Oh man do I love the Alpina, enjoy her in good health!

#38 ·
LOL! You know things are going well when your "beater" is a Bentley.
Absolutely love the car. It's beautiful.
Enjoy it.

Now excuse me while I go berate my service adviser (he acts like he's doing me a favor providing a 5-series loaner) and beat my wife (got me a watch for my birthday).

#41 · (Edited)
LOL! You know things are going well when your "beater" is a Bentley.

Now excuse me while I go berate my service adviser (he acts like he's doing me a favor providing a 5-series loaner) and beat my wife (got me a watch for my birthday).
:rofl::rofl::rofl: However, it's nice having a hero! The bar has definitely been reset!

#39 ·
This thread makes me feel poor.

#44 ·
*edit* Ya'll making me want to pull the trigger on my new ride sooner than anticipated...

~ Big Marcus
Cmon bro do it. Life's too short to wait for something like that.

I wanna see you keep those wheels tho and put them on f01, that'd be amazing!

#51 ·
What are you planning to buy/lease?

Most dealers will look to buy your lease out depending on how many months remain, what car you're purchasing/leasing and if they can make money. I had a lease e92 335i which I was going to keep but my dealer took it in early when I got my 7 series and some dealers up here like Porsche Canada are openly asking to bring in your current lease which they'll pay off so they can put you in a Panamera or Cayenne .

#54 ·
Are you planning to get the CLS63? I think my next car will be the CLS63 or the gran coupe, both look amazing but the CLS63 seems a better bang for the buck than the gran coupe.

And funny you mention the frame because the Rolls Royce Phantom's aluminum spaceframe chassis is the largest ever made. There was a great documentary on the RR factory on the NG channel a few weeks ago, I believe it's on youtube as well. It really is stunning the amount of man power that goes into a RR, it's no wonder it's the most prestige car in the world.

#55 ·
I was talking about the CL - the large coupe. Always liked those things. Have you seen the GC in person yet? Finally noticed one in LA the other day. Found the presence a little underwhelming compared to the CLS. I live out on Wilshire so I get to see a parade of benzos and beamers every day, and the CLS is one of the only mainstream models that really stands out to me in traffic - mostly due to that unique LED array on the headlights. Tail lights I haven't gotten used to yet :/

#58 ·
How funny my Mom lives on Wilshire as well, she mentioned the same thing when I got the 7, she pushed me towards getting the GC, but it was too rich for my blood. They had a M Sport 640 GC for a hair under 100k on the showroom floor. She said she sees tons of 7/S-classes all day long, they're like Camrys out there.

#57 ·
Oh, my bad. The CL is nice espically the CL63/65 but are you waiting for the redesigned CL or the current one? I haven't seen the gran coupe in person yet and I agree with the CLS, the LED headlamps make the car pop but the rear isn't as nice. Reminds me of the rear on the new XJ; beautiful car from the front and side until you hit the rear were everything falls apart.

#61 ·
HAHA I love seeing those *cough*ghetto*cough* 300's with 22's and 5" lips, with Bentley Logos. You're not fooling anyone, well maybe Ray Charles.

I love my SRT, it has a ridiculous amount of bells and whistles for the price ~58k is equivalent to a 70k 550i, though the interior materials are a step down, still VERY good (might be the best right now) for a domestic, but not on the same level of a Teutonic sport sedan.

As much as I love my SRT, the dealerships are definitely something to be desired. I was satisfied with them before I got my BMW. But with BMW, I go in and are treated like I just saved the Service Manager's baby and wife from a fiery wreck. I don't know if I could go back to buying domestic, my local BMW dealership is just that good. The car and the dealer is just amazing... I'm still satisfied, even after having multiple drivetrain malfunction problems, sunroof wouldnt work, etc.

I couldn't imagine the level of service from a Rolls-Royce/Bentley dealer :bigpimp:

Gorgeous car Deutsch, you might not have a Bimmer anymore, but stay around here, I'd love to see more pics. I don't care about stock photos, I love seeing these real life exotics, owned by a car buff. Glad to see you don't have a chauffeur :thumbup:

#62 ·
HAHA I love seeing those *cough*ghetto*cough* 300's with 22's and 5" lips, with Bentley Logos. You're not fooling anyone, well maybe Ray Charles.

I love my SRT, it has a ridiculous amount of bells and whistles for the price ~58k is equivalent to a 70k 550i, though the interior materials are a step down, still VERY good (might be the best right now) for a domestic, but not on the same level of a Teutonic sport sedan.

As much as I love my SRT, the dealerships are definitely something to be desired. I was satisfied with them before I got my BMW. But with BMW, I go in and are treated like I just saved the Service Manager's baby and wife from a fiery wreck. I don't know if I could go back to buying domestic, my local BMW dealership is just that good. The car and the dealer is just amazing... I'm still satisfied, even after having multiple drivetrain malfunction problems, sunroof wouldnt work, etc.

I couldn't imagine the level of service from a Rolls-Royce/Bentley dealer :bigpimp:

Gorgeous car Deutsch, you might not have a Bimmer anymore, but stay around here, I'd love to see more pics. I don't care about stock photos, I love seeing these real life exotics, owned by a car buff. Glad to see you don't have a chauffeur :thumbup:
Thanks Chris. Rolls and Bentley service is honestly amazing!!! BMW and MBZ are generally good, but RR and Bentley basically bend over backwards for you!!! And yes..no driver for me. I earned these cars, and I'm gonna drive and enjoy them. And I don't have a Phantom (yet, he he he) to be chaueffered around in!! :)

#63 ·
Congrats on the Ghost. It looks great. Where about in So Cal do you live? I live in the Palisades and see a Silver one driving around often..wonder if its you now..

AdamG13 I was talking about the CL - the large coupe. Always liked those things. Have you seen the GC in person yet? Finally noticed one in LA the other day. Found the presence a little underwhelming compared to the CLS.
I'll be interested to see the reveal of the new S class and the S Class Coupe (the CL is discontinued and rolled into the S Class Coupe). I've been itching for a new car for a bit now, but don't think I can wait a year for the S Class reveal.

Tried an A8 today...the massage seats...(actual massage seats instead of a snake rolling around your ass like the 7 series) combined with the B&O sound system, and the diamond stitched comfort seats...I have to say, I was very impressed, and I've never been an Audi fan.

#65 ·
Congrats on the Ghost. It looks great. Where about in So Cal do you live? I live in the Palisades and see a Silver one driving around often..wonder if its you now..

I'll be interested to see the reveal of the new S class and the S Class Coupe (the CL is discontinued and rolled into the S Class Coupe). I've been itching for a new car for a bit now, but don't think I can wait a year for the S Class reveal.

Tried an A8 today...the massage seats...(actual massage seats instead of a snake rolling around your ass like the 7 series) combined with the B&O sound system, and the diamond stitched comfort seats...I have to say, I was very impressed, and I've never been an Audi fan.
I do not live in the Palisades, sadly :bawling: I am in the Calabasas area of the West San Fernando Valley!!

#64 ·
Lol @ the Bentley emblem on the 300 but it doesn't get worst than this...

Oh, don't get me started on the dealerships. My Chrysler dealer was horrific, it was worst than visiting a dentist but I know in recent years Chrysler and the other US car manufacturers are trying to up their customer service and general ambiance of their dealerships. And on the topic of RR's and RR's service, here's a great urban myth;

A man buys a second hand Rolls Royce. While on a driving holiday a few years later, it breaks down by the side of the road. He's a long way from home so calls the nearest dealership. They send an engineer who gives him a replacement car to continue his journey in and then takes charge of the broken down vehicle.

A few days later, his car is returned, fully repaired. After a few weeks, the man realised he hasn't paid for the repairs and, not wanting to be accused of being negligent, calls the garage again and speaks to the office manager. "My Rolls Royce broke down a few weeks ago. You repaired it but haven't yet sent me an invoice," he said.

"Sir, you must be mistaken," said the office manager. "Everyone knows that Rolls Royce cars simply don't break down."

#66 ·
Ehm, the new GC owns CLS anyday, sideways, backwards, and then some more. Look at it in person, drive one, it's an incredibly beautiful car. I already testdrove 2 of those and it's just pure win and love. Most definitely my next car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.