BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Email and Txt msgs on iDrive display

8K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  danmiami 
#1 ·
I thought iPhone is compatible with iDrive. But looks like only contacts and audio/video work. I was told that for email and text messages only two blackberry's from at&t are compatible and iPhone is not. Anyone tried blackberry's with iDrive for email and text messages ?

#2 ·
I would be surprised if that was possible. Seems it would be a driving distraction, like playing video in the iDrive screen.

#4 ·
Can you tell me which model and who is your service provider (att/Verizon/Sprint).

#6 ·
Mine is ... end of July build. Took ED on 08/04.

#8 ·
#9 ·
So, did anyone get text messages and email working on a post September 2010 Z4?

I have a July 2011 Z4, with the apps on my iPhone 4s and it is connected via the Z4's USB port. The iDrive system is updated to the latest software version and has the Office option and shows the icons for Mail, Messages etc, but they all have 0 beside them suggesting no messages.

Am I chasing something that doesn't work in the UK or just doesn't work with a 2011 Z4?

#12 ·
Anyone know if it is possible to retrofit a later 2009 model (with CIC) with the newer combox with apps/email/text/office capability?
One website is offering all these OEM retrofits: Bimmertech:

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/

Also not sure whether it is worth the trouble...

#11 ·
Honestly, I did get it to work in my car, but it's really not worth it. The technology is still in its infancy. If there was a voice command for "read text messages" it would be worthwhile as a hands free function, which I am certain is what it is intended to be. But you still have to look at the screen and select the "read" feature with the iDrive wheel. By that point I have already read most text messages myself. Keep working on it, BMW. Until then, drivers should just wait until they come to a stop light.

#13 ·
On my 2012 I will get a message box indication if I get a txt while in the car with my iPhone 4s connected via BT. I believe to get the Connect Apps to work you have to have the iPhone adapter which means you have the correct software. They do not work on my Z. In addition I have never seen cover art show up in the iDrive. Like others have said it is not very useful I would prefer if there was a way I could activate Siri so that it could read my messages to me and send message through voice.

#16 ·
You can look up your VIN number on BMWVIN to see if you have a COMBOX in your car.
You should also be able to tell from the build date of your car. I believe the cutoff date was Sept 2010. All cars after that date have a COMBOX.

#15 ·
I believe when you go into the BT settings there is an additional check boxes depending on what your phone supports. Also in the BT setting in my iPhone there are two options Synch Contacts and Show Notifications. I assume you have to have all of that selected to get anything to work. Also as I have iDrive I can send Google maps directly to the car it shows up in the Office inbox which is where the txt show up

#17 ·
@rafale thanks for that link, that was really useful

The only mention of a Combox in the results was the following as 'Control for Combox'. Does anyone know if this is the actual Combox, or if it is just something that would allow the car to have a Combox, but doesn't necessarily mean it actually has it?

S6VCA STEUERUNG COMBOX Control for Combox

It also says I have the Headlight Cleaning System and I know for certain that I don't have this.

Thanks again.

#18 ·
Translation from German is kind of litteral and not exact. It is actually the COMBOX so you do have it. What it means is not "control for COMBOX" but "Control COMBOX".
How can you be certain you don't have the headlight cleaning system?
My friend has it and it was not obvious...
I, myself found out I had a 6 DVD changer from there as well... Never knew it was hidden in my glovebox.

#22 ·
I get text messages and "info" messages (send to car feature in BMW Remote app)... but no emails come up. I also was able to get my calendar before, but for some reason, that has disappeared.

What would make this really useful is an audible notification of an incoming message - without it, you will find yourself constantly looking at your screen to see if the little envelope is there. There should also be a "mark all read" function, but that is absent and you must open each message for a few seconds to show it as having been "read".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.