BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2004 E65 will not start PLEASE HELP

18K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  CANTGETRIGHT 
#1 ·
Okay so I just got my used bmw delivered today. I got on the tow truck to put it in neutral and briefly turned it on. I shut it off and decided to use the emergency transmission release instead as I really was not able to get it in neutral. I pulled the release and we rolled the car off of the truck. I went to start it and nothing. I saw they had stolen all of my fuel (I am in Guatemala) so I went to get some at the gas station. I put in two gallons. The car cranks over fine though nothing. I do not hear the fuel pump kick on. I sprayed some either into the intake and still nothing. I am thinking it is a spark issue as the either did not fire the engine at all. Can the car lock itself if it is at an angle from a tow truck or if I pull the transmission release? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I have tryed to push in the key and take it out many times to try and prime the pump though think it could be a spark issue as the either did nothing. I sprayed it in for about 5 seconds.

#2 ·
I had the battery and starter replaced before it was delivered. I do notice the radio will not come on. It froze on the select fm am cd option briefly until the car was off a couple of minutes. It will not detect the cd changer either though I only mention this as it may be some thing electrical. I know some things shut off including the fuel pump if the battery is low. Any advice would be most appreciated.

P.S. My car is kind of in the middle of the road infront of the house and the begining part of my drive way is a bit step to push up. Cars can get by as the road is wide and it is towards one side though like I said I am in Guatemala and would feel better if it was lock up safe.

#4 ·
The car is in park and the only thing the display is saying is drivers restrant systme fault and coolant level low. I do not have antifreeze to put in right now though do not see why this would be the issue.

#5 ·
The dash is now reading recharge battery. I noticed the navigation system in the trunk was very warm when it got here. Is it possible it was draining the battery to a point where the brief start brought it to a level that put it in safe mode where the car will no longer start. I heard from the dealer this can cut off the fuel pump. Could it cut off the spark too explaining why it only started that once? :dunno:

#6 ·
Okay so I am going to charge the battery and disconnect the neg battery cable for an hour or so to try to reset it. There is a blue clip on it too that I may need to disconnect though not sure when and for how long., any advice?

#8 ·
Thought I would update. The battery reset did nothing though I learned some thing that may help. The light on the dash reads driver restraint system fault. This related to the airbag sensor. If the unit is bad it will throw this message. I am trying to find an obd to reset it before I replace the sensor though this will cut off the fuel pump to prevent fire if there is a crash.

#9 ·
Testing Fuel Pump Pressure Under Hood

I am hoping some one can tell me or post a picture of where I can test if the fuel line has pressure in it under the hood. I am told I can check it with a tire pressure tool.

Many thanks

#11 · (Edited)
No spark

Okay so I bought a 2004 745i about six months ago and finally found a shipper to deliver it the other day down here to Central America. They took it for a joy ride and did some damage though it is here. The thing is it will not start. The fuel line has pressure in it though there is no spark. It did start on the tow truck to put it in neutral though I shut it off, the tow truck tilted up, I went to start it again and nothing.

The following codes are showing with a OBD scanner...

P0460 Fuel level sensor error. (When the shipper took it for a joy ride they used or stole every drop of my fuel)

P110F Coolant temp sensor (I am getting a display coolant level is low, I heard the car overheated with the first shipper who was going to drive it down here for me. The battery was shot so some things were not working and the car overheated. I had a new battery and starter put in then found a shipper who put it on a truck through Mexico.)

P0597 Looks like I need a new thermostat I think

P0300 A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor (I hear this will turn off the fuel pump and I seem to have pressure so maybe not this?)
Defective computer
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256830 (information according to this thread. I did not make the car so if this is wrong please take my humblest appoligies)
Further more I did see two outlets that look like they should have vacuum hoses on each side of the engine towards the front. They are circle shaped discs and located towards the front top of the engine on each side.

P2610 I hear this is the alternator or battery. I did have a new battery put in.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

#14 · (Edited)
I am thinking it could also be the crank shaft position sensor...

To access I had to take off the plastic skid plate, then the metal skid plate which was held on with 5 5/8 blots (it may have been 16mm being German though the 5/8 is a bit snugger fit).

The senser is right next to the muffler. I am looking to find a way to test it with an ohms meter. There is supposedly a coil inside that should read between 540 and 550 ohms between the first and second pins. I saw a video on utube where the new sensor read 497 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TEjDZcV9ZA&list=HL1383245391. Please note that this is not the same set up as this model year car though the general principles should be the same.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Okay I am no electrican so I must ask. On the sensor bolted to the transmission there is no reading on the ohms meter.

When I test the plug from one side to the middle and the other side to the middle connector I get readings of 1120 and about 700.

Any idea what this tells me if anything? I see my sensor is different then the one in the video though do I need to crank the engine to test it for any reason? I do not see why though read it online.

#17 · (Edited)
Funny you should ask, I was meaning to update the status tonight or tomorrow. A BMW tech came over yesterday morning to check out this and a mini I just imported. I had switched out the Crank Position Sensor and the SBSR. I did not try to start it after I did as I still need a air filter. He tried to start it initially and it just cranked over. In any case his he checked it out and said it was in some thing called isolation mode. He said they can go into this mode when the battery runs low or if some one trys to steal it. I am not sure what triggers this when some one ttys to steal it. I would have asked though his English was not perfect though much better then my Spanish. In any case a friend translated though I was just happy to have it running. Have you ever heard of this isolation mode? He said if it is sitting it is best to disconnect the battery and if it runs low again the same thing will happen and it will have to be reset. By the way it started right up once he reset it.

#18 ·
Camshaft Sensor

1. I have a 2007 750li
2. I will crank but will not stay cranked
3. ii have replaced the vvt, dem, and whatever the black and green module.
4. it was recently towed. i seen something about isolation mode.. how do you get it out of that mode?
5. i am getting a camshaft senor light. where is this located so that i can replace it?
6. how do i reset the battery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.