BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Picked up new '13 X6 50i yesterday (8/11/2012)

13K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  Kar Don 
#1 ·
Picked up 2013 X6 50i, which replaced a 2009 X6 50i...

No good photos yet (It was raining and only using phone camera).

Ordered 7/2/2012...
At dealer 8/9/2012... shows build date of Aug 2012 with VIN (See pic)
Picked up 8/11/2012

Black Sapphire Metallic
Dark Bamboo
Black Perf Leather
Cold Weather
Dynamic Handling Package (Active Steering & Adaptive Drive)
Luxury Seating Package
M Performance Package (See pic - Among other things, got the black exhaust tips... Nice since the chrome ones on 2009 always turned black anyway)
Premium Package
Premium Sound
Technology Package
Space Saver Spare
Soft Close Automatic Doors
Running Boards
3 Rear Seats
Full LED Lights
Rear Seat Entertainment
BMW Apps
Smartphone Integration

Initial thoughts...
  • Active Steering - Didn't want but wanted adaptive drive again... Different, taking some getting used to (but liking!)
  • 8 speed auto vs. older 6 speed - Not talked about too often but major upgrade to driveability!
  • Side view camera - Have not used yet in a real world situation, but not at all what I thought (Did not know it was for creeping into an intersection and seeing down the road)
  • LED lights - Great!
  • Noticed you can now "swap" iPod vs. iPhone through iDrive... In the 2009, if you had both the iPod and snap-in adapter, there was no possibility of playing music from iPhone unless you physically unplugged the iPod. I see now you can just swap in the iDrive menu. Now with that said, I only had "Smartphone Integration" on the 2009 so had the "Music" adapter. Though I can charge my phone and it connects, it is not "compatible" with the BMW Apps, so that's going to be heading to eBay soon
  • Style 336 20" wheels - Didn't know they were "grey" in color... they look much better in person than I had thought/envisioned. The grey really makes them, too!

I had an almost identically optioned 2009 less Active Steering, less some of the newer technology not avail then, and had added dealer installed BMW performance power kit (+40 hp). Overall, the whole package seems much more refined and smoothed out now. I just noticed this morning that my driver door was not "fit" perfectly at the factory... going to have to see if that can be fixed. Annoyance but I take the good with the bad with every BMW I've had since that's just how things go no matter the price point!

Overall, still an amazing car or I would not have done it again!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Was notified went into production 7/30.

Made mistake of following online status...which was still showing "Finishing Touches" when dealer called me on 8/9 that car was in.

$1K over invoice, thanks in large part to the folks on this board... helped enable me to know this was reasonable to request. Dealer had no X6 remaining allocation or production slot, and this was still possible with some persistence.

#6 ·
Regarding the premium sound, see attached pic from online build status as to why I thought they might have "thrown in" Enhanced Premium....

Anyway, so keeping in mind I am coming from an '09 X6 with Premium Sound that I have listened to daily for 3 years... and now in the '13 X6, it sounds markedly more crisp and clean. Not really any louder but much, much cleaner. Noticeable difference.

So my thought is I didn't really get a free option and either a) BMW has upgraded or changed suppliers of some components, which I'm sure happens all the time or b) placebo effect from having a "clean new car" :dunno:

Regarding the front fog light surrounds, they are still silver... so if they're supposed to be black, that is not addressed yet.

I will try to get some additional pictures taken this week if interested.

I just ordered my media snap-in adapter today, too, to replace the older one that doesn't support BMW Apps.

Attachments

#12 ·
Nice! Online tracking not good... Can't be trusted.
I think the Rims you have are the second best offered by BMW-- the style 375 rims ($7K) are beautiful.

I really like the Active Steering, as does my wife, though I also like how tight the Steering is on my other lighter BM. It feels more aggressive.

I also like the top camera, but have had no use for the side cameras so far. I am a Droid user, and the lack of BMW Apps integration for Android is an annoyance. I thought I could tether internet to my ipod Touch and take advantage of the App, but that has failed miserably. What do you like about the Adaptive Drive? I have not driven a car with one.

#15 ·
Thanks - Looked through your pics... pretty sweet color combo you have there macd1995!

Hmmm... my latest update on active steering is still "getting used to it". I would describe it like this... It's very practical and useful at low speed when parking because it seems like you barely need to turn the wheel (and with virtually no effort) to make a huge turn and get in and out of a tight spot. It is a strange experience because you get to where it locks like you've turned it as far as it can go awfully fast... seems like it less than a half turn (?) but it may actually be more.

At higher speeds (i.e., nothing crazy yet!), it seems to add to a feeling of a very solid, controlled turn, albeit with less turning of the wheel.

At the speeds in between, it is definitely "less tight" feel than those who've driven a lot of BMW's may be accustomed and therefore can feel less aggressive. That is where I feel the jury is out with me. It has only been a couple days but there are times where I think to myself, hey this doesn't feel tight enough.

Overall, I am liking and think I will get used to this new steering experience, but can't say yet if I love it.

Adaptive Drive - I got it again because it really seems to keep this hulking car "flatter" around turns and perhaps less bouncy, too. I'm not saying any X6's are bouncy at all (I have never driven an X6 without Adaptive Drive), but having had a 2007 X5 4.8i and my wife having a 2012 X5 35d, I think of the X5 as a little bouncy (though still firm/tight!) and in my head feel like the adaptive drive helps to mitigate this. Maybe I just believe the marketing and adapt my thinking and am therefore brainwashed into spending more for it - who knows.

Last little tidbit... A CA at the dealer was informing me there would be an "update" soon that would allow iPhone text messages (or maybe all phones?) to appear in the "Office" section of the iDrive menu, and it would read your text messages. I have never looked this up to know whether it's something to be excited about or interested in, or whether there is even any truth to it, but I do feel that update would make sense.

#16 ·
Some pics of BMW Apps on X6... Have not gotten the snap-in adapter I ordered yet, so plugged in the other way to check it out. Probably volumes written about this stuff on some other message board, but I've never looked into it... just tinkering with new car. Figured would share even if old news to most.

The unexpected was that you don't have to stay in one menu... it sort of integrates the app choices into appropriate menus.

All this and still can't get text messages through this thing! :confused:

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
I have seen some of this when I plugged the iPad in. I will get the mobile plan on my wife's iPad again to see if the will work with the Apps. Tethering on the Galaxy Nexus has not proved to be effective.

Last little tidbit... A CA at the dealer was informing me there would be an "update" soon that would allow iPhone text messages (or maybe all phones?) to appear in the "Office" section of the iDrive menu, and it would read your text messages. .
I am really curious about the email messages, though I wonder if that will only work with the European models now.

The coolest feature that I did not know about was sending destinations to my car via Google maps:
1) Find location at home
2) Send to car,
3) Get in said car
4) click and then go... awesome!

Thanks - Looked through your pics... pretty sweet color combo you have there macd1995!
Thanks! Probably only ride with base model rims for 50i-- third best offered by BMW in my opinion (smile)

Hmmm... my latest update on active steering is still "getting used to it". I would describe it
Overall, I am liking and think I will get used to this new steering experience, but can't say yet if I love it.
Car feels light and responsive to me... I attribute that to AS. I 100% agree that it feels loose at moderate speeds, but I'll take it. When i drive the vert, I just have an appreciation for the stiffness,

I am still not convinced about Adaptive Drive...

Did you see the Mog app in there? Damn cant wait to get my car already lol.
You are sounding a little like me... could it be because we used the same dealer (smile).. Anticipation is one of life's beautiful gift, so enjoy it! The car is going to be awesome!

#23 ·
Mog? I still can't find Pandora in there yet even though it's in every pic/advertisement for the thing! Just some "Web Radio" stations. Guess will need to look this up this week.

I got the media adapter today and am left a little puzzled by a few things. For one, if you choose PlugIn or choose the media adapter, you can't actually hear any of the audio unless you physically pull the 3.5mm cable on the separate iPod plug. Makes no sense. Maybe I am missing something.

This thing also runs insanely hot even with the fan. I had the old "music" snap-in adapter with no fan on the '09 X6 and it didn't even come close to how hot this thing gets in 10 minutes (with the lid open!)

Going to have to look this stuff up... unless anyone here knows. How to get to Pandora? or Mog? Is there a way not to need to unplug the 3.5mm iPod source to swap sources sinces all these sources are choices on the menu? Sigh....

Attachments

#20 ·
Picked up 2013 X6 50i, which replaced a 2009 X6 50i...

No good photos yet (It was raining and only using phone camera).

Ordered 7/2/2012...
At dealer 8/9/2012... shows build date of Aug 2012 with VIN (See pic)
Picked up 8/11/2012

Overall, still an amazing car or I would not have done it again!
Congrats on the X6, it looks very nice! I am from CT as well. We have ordered 2013 X6 on 7/30, but the dealer told us the wait time is 3 months. It sounds like you did not have to wait that long. Maybe a good news for us?????

#37 ·
Great news... I am still waiting for BMW Apps to work on Droid!!!! KMA, is you phone still running hot with the adapter?

#38 ·
KMA, is you phone still running hot with the adapter?
Seems to be OK... ongoing, it seems to be a little warm but not as hot as that first time I tried.

On another note, I did do a tiny bit of research on the "Office" functionality (e.g., email, text messages on iDrive)... and seems like it may already be available if your current phone supports Bluetooth MAP (message access profile)--and if you're an iPhone user (which I know you're not macd1995), looks like this is coming with iOS 6.

Some good info here for anyone interested...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708682

To me most of this stuff is a novelty that isn't actually all that useful in the car, but a step on the road to things getting more integrated. I like to early adopt all this stuff for whatever reason even though it's sometimes a headache and disappointments early on.

#42 ·
Its a glitch, mine just arrived and it showed on the build sheet but its not on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.