BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

IOS 6 for iPhone and Connected drive

33K views 156 replies 26 participants last post by  650iQ7 
#1 · (Edited)
Maybe is already well known by most of you, but here is a link showing IOS 6 beta version allowing messages to be read through connected drive, finally.
Also, I was finally able to download/upgrade media/bluetooth update file from BMW.COM, and upgraded iTunes as well,ready for IOS 6!. Click on smiley face
:)

#101 ·
I tried it. Didn't seem to change anything related to email although it states:

Software update (MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.6)
Content
> Office: Improved support for email mes- sages. Improved display of text-message sender on iPhone devices with iOS6.

But I haven't bothered to un-pair and then re-pair my phone. That may be a necessary step. Southy: This is your bailiwick. Let us know if you can figure it out.

#102 ·
Southy: This is your bailiwick. Let us know if you can figure it out.
Reminder has been set on my phone, so I'll do my best to investigate tonight. As far as I'm concerned, e-mail is useless until they get rid of the current switch off then on flaw. Too much of a bother.

#103 ·
Did anybody try to upgrade iPhone to IOS 6.1 and see the connectivity results with idrive office (messages)?.

#104 ·
I've been using 6.1 and haven't noticed any difference. I've lost hope. When they get it to work, great, but every update seems as futile as the one before it.... Disappointing.

#106 ·
Texts work but e-mails don't (without going into iPhone settings and switching the notifications off then back on).

Congrats on the new car :thumbup:

#108 ·
You only get texts that come through after the phone is connected to the car (i.e. old stuff won't show up).

Also, you can try iPhone settings > Notifications > Messages, and keep the Notification center on (and I keep everything else on that menu kept on).

I've given up on e-mails as I can't be bothered to switch notifications on and off every time I get in the car. I'll wait for BMW and/or Apple to get this fixed, and then I'll try again.

#112 ·
Any notification (emails, whatsapp, viber, bank,...) that you switch off and then on with each start will start transferring to the iDrive office under SMS messages. It is a real pain to do each time.

#114 ·
Any email from your iPhone

You get the notifications from your iphone emails, gmail app, whatsapp, viber, your bank apps, ...
It is a real pain, and I do not do this, but if every time your phone connects to the iDrive office, you turn any apps notification off and then on, you will start receiving your app notifications in the SMS inbox until you turn engine off, then you will have to repeat it with each start.

#116 ·
It works for my 4GS IOS 6.1 and 2012 650 Ic iDrive

#120 ·
I just confirmed that is still working, got a email, gmail app and a whatsapp notifications
I am happy to get SMS notifications, I cannot keep turning off/on each notification

#118 ·
Seems like the only phone it will work perfectly with is a blackberry. I might get a blackberry to keep in the car at all times just for email. It would really help to see at least the subject line on the idrive while driving so that I don't need to pull out the phone.

#122 ·
No

There have not been any further updates for the iDrive connected drive or iPhone IOS software.

#124 ·
Finally BMW came out with an update for BMW connected drive

But my 650i has been in service for a week, cannot check it. Just FYI

#125 · (Edited)
Software update with BMW ConnectedDrive iDrive

But my 650i has been in service for a week, cannot check it. Just FYI
When I enter the last 7 digits of my 650ic VIN @ BMW.COM/software update, I get a message of invalid number, guessing is down, cannot check if there is an update for the iDrive as well

#126 ·
I recently tried updating, and it said I was up to date from my update several months ago. Nothing new, I'm afraid.

#127 ·
Let us know improvement with the updated App for BMW connected drive, my car is in service. Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#128 ·
Let us know improvement with the updated App for BMW connected drive, my car is in service. Thanks.
Oh, I was thinking iDrive update. I'll try to play with the new Connected app this weekend and report what I find.

Here's the list of new/improved features: Text Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#129 ·
I did a little playing around with the Connected App. I didn't find anything overly impressive. Facebook may have a few more options than before, but it still seems overly complicated and thus dangerous. I don't have a Twitter, so I can't play with it. Web Radio and Wiki seem about the same. Any changes seem minor. BMW still hasn't done something to make me want to buy a cradle - or even be bothered to take my phone out of my pocket. I don't spend many long periods in my car, so I suppose I'm harder to win over than someone who commutes 45+ minutes at a time.

#130 ·
So long for nothing

All the apps in my iPhone have updated at least 3 times since IOS 6, and BMW comes out with nothing new, unbelievable and unacceptable :tsk:

#131 ·
FYI- NEW RELEASE for BMW iDrive PRO

UPD05011 (Latest Version, 29.9 MB)

MN-1.23.4, TN-1.23.10
MN-1.21.3, TN-1.21.10

Update for vehicles with production date from July 2012 to June 2013

Take about one minute to install, then you shut-down the engine to reboot.

Telephone: Improved display of the sender
of SMS messages on iPhone devices with
iOS6. The end device only communicates
the sender name to the vehicle for a sender.
The call-back function is not available and
messages cannot be sent, deleted or
marked as unread.

http://www.bmw.com/update

#136 · (Edited)
Sounds like the NBT is more trouble than it is worth.

As for the 6WB, it truly is not as straight-forward as I had hoped. I really do like being able to see the tracks on the HUD, something I use everyday frequently. I was hoping you would say it really isn't a big deal given the larger track display. I will need to sleep on this one. Thanks for the info anyway.

Perhaps you can post more pictures of the track display in action. That's the only thing that is holding me back from pulling the trigger. The rest of the shortcomings I have absolutely no problem with. It is indeed very enticing to have the numbers get larger on the speedo as you speed up.

#137 ·
Another nice feature on the 6wb is that it displays a red line between the speed limit and how fast you are going. So if the speed limit is 35 and you are going 50, there will be a red line between the two numbers to make you realize how much over you are. Not sure if you have speed limit info in your region though. I will try to get more pics today and post them in the original thread.

#138 ·
Unfortunately speed limit display function is not available in my region. I do use the speed limiter frequently. It is indicated as a little green dot on my speedometer when set. Appreciate it if you can post photos of what the speed limiter display looks like on the 6WB.

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.