BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need a wax that doesn't turn black trim white.

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  X308Black 
#1 ·
I've used P21 wax on my new X5, and where I hit the black trim it turns white and is very difficult to remove. Is there a good quality wax that won't make the black trim turn white? As we 2012 X5 owners know, there is a lot of black vinyl on these vehicles. Thanks!

#2 ·
I use KAIO topped with Collinite 845. You can skip the KAIO as it is more a cleaner then anything else. I actually wax all my plastic trim so I don't have to dress it seperate. Most spray waxes are fine as well just don't last as long as the 845 and it is so easy to use.

#10 ·
That sounds like good advice to me for a car that has lots of trim. My 335i isn't so bad, and so I'm sometimes lazy about taping it up.

No point when waxing. Just use the correct products.
The OP is asking for the correct products, and since I also would like to know, maybe you could share which ones they are? I haven't used my 476S in a while, but one of the main reasons I picked it over FK1000P (when curious about longer lasting waxes) is because it's supposed to be more forgiving on trim. Not "correct" as in no problem at all, just more forgiving; I would still recommend taping with this stuff on the OP's vehicle.

Getting some wax in or on the trim is impossible at times. What you need is product that will remove it. My go to for this is Poorboys World, Trim Restore. Depending on the trim if it's grainey then use a old tooth brush, put some on the brush and brush the trim, wipe off with a MF towel.. The plus is it makes the trim look new again and protects it. If its smooth, then a cotton applicator with some TR on it and it will clean the area up real fast buff with a cotton towel.
Thanks for the suggestion, and techniques, perhaps I'll pick some up in the future.

#11 ·
The OP is asking for the correct products, and since I also would like to know, maybe you could share which ones they are? I haven't used my 476S in a while, but one of the main reasons I picked it over FK1000P (when curious about longer lasting waxes) is because it's supposed to be more forgiving on trim. Not "correct" as in no problem at all, just more forgiving; I would still recommend taping with this stuff on the OP's vehicle.
See post #2. The only time I tape any more is when polishing.

#7 ·
Getting some wax in or on the trim is impossible at times. What you need is product that will remove it. My go to for this is Poorboys World, Trim Restore. Depending on the trim if it's grainey then use a old tooth brush, put some on the brush and brush the trim, wipe off with a MF towel.. The plus is it makes the trim look new again and protects it. If its smooth, then a cotton applicator with some TR on it and it will clean the area up real fast buff with a cotton towel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.