BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Odd front strut issue

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  catso 
#1 ·
Des Moines was hit last week with a nasty blizzard leaving the streets an ice covered disaster resembling the worst potholes imaginable. My wife returned from work Christmas eve with the temp about 15F and the front left corner of the car bottomed out. I thought she may have broken a spring, but this morning (26th, temp 7F) the car has returned to level on its own, just setting in the driveway! Never seen such a thing. Yes the front struts are old. The question is, did this incident make the car unsafe to drive, even though it appears to be okay? Is this a freak occurrance with these struts that is not likely to repeat? Was the strut destroyed internally? Is there anything unusual about replacing the front strut cartridges vs your average car that I should be aware of? (I have done struts before, but I don't recall if I've done them on an e28.) Thanks!

#2 ·
My guess is the strut cartridge is very worn, or bent. Rebuild the struts and you should be OK, use new upper mounts, check the spring perch for rust deterioration, and make sure you use good quality inserts; Sach-Boge or Bilstein.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.