BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bricked!!

5K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  sr5959 
#1 ·
So my car went in to have the ASS disabled (remember last setting) and in the process, they bricked the programming. SM called to let me know the BMW engineers are trying to figure it out but I won't get the car back. :mad:

Looking forward to a nice weekend with it... only had it for less than a week before it went in on Wednesday. I have an X3 loaner which is like driving a boat in comparison. I guess the good news is that BMW authorized $500 in credit towards accessories or performance gear for my trouble.

So be careful if you take it to get that feature shut off!

#2 ·
When I get my car I'm also planning on doing this. Do you think this is because your deal is 'small' that they haven't don't this or their software is not latest or their tech is inexperienced?
Just wondering because I thought I read that in some dealers they do t even know how to do it yet. Um wondering if my deal would know.
Yeah bricking is not cool and I'm sure they have to replace something they bricked for you.
Thanks for the warning. Please what you find/learn here. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

#3 · (Edited)
When I get my car I'm also planning on doing this. Do you think this is because your deal is 'small' that they haven't don't this or their software is not latest or their tech is inexperienced?
Just wondering because I thought I read that in some dealers they do t even know how to do it yet. Um wondering if my deal would know.
Yeah bricking is not cool and I'm sure they have to replace something they bricked for you.
Thanks for the warning. Please what you find/learn here. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
It's a big dealership. Both Mercedes and BMW. But the car was so new, the software they had was older than what was already in the car. So, they had to obtain the new software from BMW, which they apparently did, but in the process of changing the actual setting, one of the modules got corrupted. BMW is "in" the car trying to sort out what happened and get it back to normal.

I just find it bizarre it's such a fiasco to change a simple setting. It's also ridiculous that the dealers have to go through so much to get software the BMW should be providing when they program the cars with whatever version at the factory. Yes, this was the first time the dealer did this ASS setting... the notice form BMW allowing dealers to do it one time for free just came out so they are expecting more of these to come soon because people hate that stupid feature almost unanimously.

So we'll see what happens. SM called me 10:30a this morning and said they were still working on it. it's now almost 3p now and I have not heard back so it looks like I'm stuck with the X3 over the weekend... if not longer!

#4 ·
Note to Self: don't take the car to the dealer to have the ASS function permanently turned off.

#7 ·
No honestly when I first used it on a rental this summer I loved it. I use it a lot here in Europe. I cannot see what people hate. You stop u start, is everyone that pissy for the second it might slow them down?

#26 ·
This is exactly my problem with this feature. If there was a delay of a couple of seconds once you come to a full stop then I'd be fine with it. As it is right now, the ASS turns off the engine at stop signs and in stop and go traffic on the freeway. I agree with the concept of the feature and its fine at stoplights or other short stops.
wait what? You shift into neutral at stop signs and stop and go traffic? Why? Sounds odd and too much extra work that you would do that.

#28 ·
wait what? You shift into neutral at stop signs and stop and go traffic? Why? Sounds odd and too much extra work that you would do that.
No. I should have clarified. I have the auto transmission. As soon as I come to a complete stop the ASS shuts the engine off. If there is no one else at the intersection then no problem, I roll slightly and then continue with no engine shutdown. But if I do have to come to a complete stop then the auto restart takes just a smidge too long. I can be on the gas while the engine is still restarting. Similarly, in stop and go traffic, sometimes I come to a complete stop just as the car in front of me starts moving again. Its at that moment that ASS shuts the engine off.

#15 ·
A dealer who bricks a car is dangerous -- and I'd never let them touch the car again. It means that, despite their claims they'd never done this to an F30, they haven't a clue about how to update any BMW. It also means they probably couldn't even change the brake pads.

When you get your car back, find another dealer. Fast.

#16 ·
This doesn't have anything to do with reprogramming the ASS, but BMW had to reprogram our '11 33is and it took them a week to do this.

Within three weeks of our redelivery we starting getting the SES light and Cruise Control wasn't working at freeway speeds. We took the car in for service and their diagnostics determined that Cruise Control was not engaging in 5th or 6th gear or if it was shifted into 5th or 6th gear while it was engaged it would disengage. Problem was, they couldn't figure out why it was happening. They apparently worked with engineers in Munich. They had the car for a week. They asked us "has anyone reprogrammed the car?". Umm, no.

The solution was to reprogram the entire car which solved the problem. The SES light was still coming on for them though and that's when they found that our exhaust flapper valve solenoid was also faulty, so they replaced that. They still got the SES light and then discovered that the throttle body was faulty so that got replaced. Not sure what caused any of that because the car performed flawlessly in Europe.

#21 ·
For me the routine has become second nature. Kill the ASS before starting the car, put the car in sport mode. Drive away. have we reached the point in our life that is that much trouble to push two buttons? Seriously?

I much rather do this routine than have some guy screw with my car. The car is perfect, no issues so far and about to hit 1900 miles. Why screw with a good thing.

#23 · (Edited)
For me the routine has become second nature. Kill the ASS before starting the car, put the car in sport mode. Drive away. have we reached the point in our life that is that much trouble to push two buttons? Seriously?
I see no downside to having the car remember the last setting for this. Would you feel the same way if the audio system required you to reset all of its settings? What about door locking preferences? Lighting preferences? Triple turn preference? So on and so forth?

#30 ·
windsor027;7186837 I much rather do this routine than have some guy screw with my car. The car is perfect said:
If you can't trust"some guy" to screw with you car IMO find another guy to screw with your car. Good luck
cheers
vern

#34 · (Edited)
Ok, so the final update, looks like they got the new software and it's all good to go. BMW was giving me $500 for the trouble, but the SM remembered me asking about price on the M Performance Exhaust.... well, he told me they giving it to me for FREE, installed, because of the inconvenience!! I also purchased the Black grills and they will drop those in for me too. WOW!

So, 6 days without the car, but a heck of nice compensation on the part of my dealer and BMW! :clap:

#36 ·
Compared to the 335? Yeah, I'd say a bit underwhelming indeed! But I guess I could have a mini-van or something really dreadful vs. a brand new X3, so I guess I can't complain too much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.