BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

a couple of wonky questions for experienced X1 owners

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lovemygsp 
#1 ·
OK I have had my X1 since Friday. I have some questions with probably easy answers that I am overlooking, for those who have had their X1's or other BMWs for some time...

1 When I turn the car on, the IDrive asks me to "accept" that I recognize that it is dangerous to drive when distracted, etc. So I have to push the IDrive control to get beyond that message. Once I ignored it and went to Media, and the message popped up again later.

Is that gonna be forever? Is there no way to disable that?

2 Is there any easy way to get the airbag notice thing out other than just tearing it? I tug at it but I don't want to tear it and leave fragments stuck in the aluminum trim.

3 What is the loose black piece in my trunk, about the size of a license plate? It's solid...is that a cover for the license when I want to conduct some nefarious business and not be identified from the rear?

4 How do you know you are getting real-time traffic? is that only for accident reporting? I thought I would see indications of traffic flow on major freeways, etc. But I noticed this morning that doesn't seem to be the case. Is it something I have to enable?

I love my X1 a little more each time I drive it...

See less See more
#2 ·
1 When I turn the car on, the IDrive asks me to "accept" that I recognize that it is dangerous to drive when distracted, etc. So I have to push the IDrive control to get beyond that message. Once I ignored it and went to Media, and the message popped up again later.

Is that gonna be forever? Is there no way to disable that?
I don't have an idrive but my mom does and hers goes off after a few seconds without accepting. Its weird that yours pops back up? Maybe others can answer you better.

3 What is the loose black piece in my trunk, about the size of a license plate? It's solid...is that a cover for the license when I want to conduct some nefarious business and not be identified from the rear?
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Good idea though! ;) Its to hold a front license plate on the car if needed/required.

Thats my input, hopefully others can help more but your license plate comment made me laugh.

#4 ·
Thanks all! I will try again to just ignore that message and see if it doesn't pop up again. As for the airbag sticker - really? I have to live with that dopey thing hanging there, because of some federal law? Dang! Gonna make me a libertarian...Are you sure it's not the case that the dealer can't remove it, but the owner can? Like that mattress sticker, "Do not remove...."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.