BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone regret their 35d diesel purchase

16K views 106 replies 55 participants last post by  BR328 
#1 ·
Just ordered a new 35d today. I've never owned a Diesel before and am still a little nervous. I drove one a few months ago, but had to place the order without test driving another one since the dealer didn't have any on the lot. Just wondering if anyone who purchased one has had any regrets...

#76 ·
I'm not so enamored of my 35d either. I absolutely love every single thing about the interior of the vehicle. However, I pretty much hate how it drives (I like the adaptive drive though).

I came out of a 2003 E53 3.0. My old E53 was a cheetah by comparison to my new E70. Plus, since my commute is a big 5mi/day (one way), I'm only getting an average of 17mpg (I have 6k miles on the car); that's 2 mpg less that the bottom of the EPA rating. I certainly wasn't expecting that!

#78 ·
Your 3.0i E53 was a cheetah in comparison? Are you serious?

E53 3.0i 0-60 was about 8.2 seconds, 35d is about 7.2.

And no matter what car you get, your mpg will be worse than the EPA with that route.

#88 ·
Your 3.0i E53 was a cheetah in comparison? Are you serious?

E53 3.0i 0-60 was about 8.2 seconds, 35d is about 7.2.

And no matter what car you get, your mpg will be worse than the EPA with that route.
Yes, I'm serious -- Looking at numbers on a piece of paper doesn't always translate to how a person drives their car in real life. I don't know about you, but I rarely drive my car on a drag-strip.

The 35d is quite sluggish off the line, which is 90% of my driving (note that 5 mile commute; 2.5 when I don't drop my son off at school). Almost everywhere I drive is within a 5-mile radius. Ikea is my farthest "jaunt" and its only 12 miles away (that's what the nav tells me -- I was quite surprised when I saw that -- it seems like 30!)

For highway driving, I'd choose the 35d over my old car; the increased size isn't as noticeable and it has way more oomph in that arena. For the other 90% of my driving, I miss my 30i. I test drove an X6 50i and that thing was EXCELLENT! The interior of the car felt exactly the same as my 35d, but the car felt smaller (sportier?) when I drove it, and I loved that it did exactly what I said to do when I said to do it which is what I'm missing in my 35d (GO NOW, wait for it, ok I'll go now).

I'll ask my SA if there's anything that he can do to 'fix up' its current response. Couldn't hurt, the worst he can say is no.

#52 ·
If you are buying an X5 thinking it will fit your needs for a sports car, or it is your only car to live out your motoring desires, the diesel might not be perfect.

If you are looking for a luxury AWD with phenomenal handling and great driveability in over-the-road situations (ie not stoplight racing, not power sliding in canyons) it is unbeatable.

Right tool for the job, as they say...

A

#54 ·
29000 miles & Happy

29000 Miles... We purchased this to be our family road-trip vehicle... frequent hauls from VA to TX to the Beach, to all the ALMS races along the East coast. The diesel is great over the road. The turbo diesel powers over mountains and I have NEVER needed more power to merge or pass than I have at my disposal (and that's saying something, because I loves me some speed).... I see 27+ (avg mpg) while maintaining 75+mph... We saw a LOT of snow in 2009/10 and the X5 with standard wheels performed flawlessly. I just wish the towing situation wasn't so confusing... I'd love to make use of this Torque to tow an Airstream

#71 ·
29000 Miles... We purchased this to be our family road-trip vehicle... frequent hauls from VA to TX to the Beach, to all the ALMS races along the East coast. The diesel is great over the road. The turbo diesel powers over mountains and I have NEVER needed more power to merge or pass than I have at my disposal (and that's saying something, because I loves me some speed).... I see 27+ (avg mpg) while maintaining 75+mph... We saw a LOT of snow in 2009/10 and the X5 with standard wheels performed flawlessly. I just wish the towing situation wasn't so confusing... I'd love to make use of this Torque to tow an Airstream
FYI-There is a slick wireless electric brake controller and display unit available from Tekonsha. The Tekonhsa wireless electric brake controller unit mounts on the trailer and the controller display unit is portable and gets 12v power from the driver lighter socket. A BMW installed brake controller display unit requires tearing up the X5 to install a brake controler display holder bracket in the drivers side cup holder and run a 12v wire from under the drivers side cup holder back to the battery - and BMW charges about $600 labor for that and you still have to buy the BMW controller and display units $1000+.
Most RV/horse trailers with electric brakes require a 7 pole socket on the towing vehicle. BMW standard trailer hitch comes with a 4 pole socket harnes - most boat and small trailers use 4 pole sockets. A 7 pole socket can be ordered from BMW as on option for their electric brake controller unit - about $90 and is installed by BMW when the trailer hitch is installed. The wireless Tekonsha brake controller self calabrates - a big deal!. The BMW systems requires you to bring the car and trailer to the dealer after installaton for calabration/reprograming.
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-Prodigy-Radio-Frequency-Control/dp/B001P0ZA86 Hope this helps.

#55 · (Edited)
Mine is now in production with a 11/17 estimated completion time. Hope to see it at the dealer in early December. Then it's going to be a daily commuter, weekend kid carrier, and occasional long-trip vehicle. No towing or power sliding in the canyons, but as long as it can scratch the occasional need for speed itch, I'll be happy. :thumbup:

#56 ·
that is great to know about yours being in production! I have completed my order and now it is in the system waiting for production. Hopefully will know tomorrow! I am getting excited!
What are your specs? Mine is alpine white, loaded.

#57 ·
DEF complaints and diesel fuel grades/availability seem to be mentioned.

#61 ·
I ordered one too after reading the great responses to this thread. However I am toying between buying or leasing. Is anyone worried about the eventual more stringent EPA regulations on particulate emissions that might outlaw diesels in the US? I am just thinking resale down the line if these regulation do get passes.

#62 ·
Seriously???????????

Turn around and look at the last 50 years (?) of emissions regulations.

Can you cite ONE that has resulted in depression of resale of any older car, or made any old car "illegal"???

If anything, it will make those "older, high polluting, better performing, without all that emissions crap cars" more valuable...

I have zero concerns.

A

#63 ·
CAFE and green house gas regulations have not been as aggressive as in recent years. We are at the cusp of climate change and it is in the forefront of the political arena. Regulations always grandfather existing vehicles but can outlaw future sales. I believe these tend to reduce the resale of these mass market vehicles because it make them less desirable to the general consumer if diesel tech is outlawed.

I am not 100 percent sure of the regulations or impact hence I posted the question.

#64 ·
CAFE and green house gas regulations have not been as aggressive as in recent years. We are at the cusp of climate change and it is in the forefront of the political arena. Regulations always grandfather existing vehicles but can outlaw future sales. I believe these tend to reduce the resale of these mass market vehicles because it make them less desirable to the general consumer if diesel tech is outlawed.

I am not 100 percent sure of the regulations or impact hence I posted the question.
Yeah, I guess true.

Maybe since the diesel is an ULTRA low emissions vehicle, the question should be "What if they outlaw all the GASOLINE vehicles"?:tsk:

#66 ·
Six months and 7000 miles---Damn near perfect in every way. The diesel is just amazing, smooth with a nice rumble and I like a little growl I can hear with the push of the pedal. I get over 23 mpg with mostly city streets and when I want power I tell it and it's there every time. I live my life with high expectations of everything being perfect and see how things work out as time and results feed back and of all the post I have read here for nine months of some scary stuff my X5 (SO FAR) is kicking some ass. Maybe I just got a good one...I don't know.

#67 ·
My first deisel

So glad you posted this. I too had lots of question,picked mine up 5 days ago and love how it drives. The sound of the deisel is some getting used to though. My husband loves it he says it sounds cool. Wish I wouldn't have put running boards on, Im 5'5" and my leg always hits the side. I downloaded an app ony iPhone to find deisel prices near me and I amazed how each gas station has different pricing.

#75 ·
So glad you posted this. I too had lots of question,picked mine up 5 days ago and love how it drives. The sound of the deisel is some getting used to though. My husband loves it he says it sounds cool. Wish I wouldn't have put running boards on, Im 5'5" and my leg always hits the side. I downloaded an app ony iPhone to find deisel prices near me and I amazed how each gas station has different pricing.
love it! Another female X5 driver. I didn't order the running boards since I'm 5'4" and tried one and keep hitting my leg on the side. Thanks for the tip on the iphone app!

#68 ·
Hi CarChic. Thanks for your comment. I've found everyone's (well, almost everyone's) responses to have been really helpful too. Can I ask what iPhone app you're using for Diesel locations?

I didn't order the running boards for precisely that reason. I figured my wife would be yelling at me every time she got out of the vehicle.

#72 ·
Cost difference worth it though?

Gang, I have an 02 X5 3.0 and sure it gets btwn 14 and 20 mpg, about 17.5 with my urban and highway mix. Wife needs a new car, tax purposes and all, so I get the 06 530i and she wants a newer X5. I am running the math in my head, trying to figure out how I can justify a 60,000 diesel when I know I can get a 3.0 X5 gas for a lot less and still get her the options she wants (cold weather package in Florida?????). My 02 X5, will get 400-450 miles per tank on the highway, so is that extra 100 miles per fill-up really worth it over, say 5 years?

I know I am all for saving the environment, but with Diesel and Premium costing about the same here in NE Florida, I am looking at saving about $1,000 a year in fuel. I may have convinced myself in typing this that the spread is not worth paying the extra amount. :dunno:

#73 ·
Just finished a 1600-mile tow with my brand new 35d. Hauled about 5500 pounds (race car in enclosed trailer). Couldn't be happier with the power. Set the cruise control mph and it stayed there, no matter how big the hill. Plenty of passing power when needed. Mileage while towing was 15.5 including towing through the Southern Missouri and Arkansas mountains. My old 4.4i got 4 mpg less than that, and it rarely saw hill country.

I had the dealer install the hitch and the BMW brake controller when they prepped the vehicle for delivery. Yep, you lose one cup holder, but it's a slick install and the controls are right there at your fingertips. My hitch came with the 7-pin circular connector. Plug-n-play with my trailer, no problems. Dealer charged me $1500 total for the package--hitch and controller--installed.

#95 ·
Just finished a 1600-mile tow with my brand new 35d. Hauled about 5500 pounds (race car in enclosed trailer). Couldn't be happier with the power. Set the cruise control mph and it stayed there, no matter how big the hill. Plenty of passing power when needed. Mileage while towing was 15.5 ...
Now that's what I like to hear. Mine is on order. Looking to buy an e30 for dedicated track use. The D was the obvious choice for family hauler. You can't beat the flexibility of this machine!

#74 ·
No regrets

Subsidized pricing with $4500 BMW eco credit, $1800 federal tax credit and better fuel mileage with relatively similiar gas price / gallon vs premium? Not difficult decision to go X5d. Added JBD piggyback and just makes me chuckle knowing how much $$ people spent on x5 35i.

Buying used - perhaps different story given economics depending on car configuration. But x5d is long term buy for me and with recent gas $$ bump up - will gladly take the 26mpg suburban city driving with the x5d.

#77 ·
I've had my diesel for about 10 days now --- I don't miss my '08 535xi a bit. I only took brief test drives before I ordered my X5, so I just assumed I was giving up that tight BMW driving feel going from a 5 to an X5...I was wrong. I think the X5d has better steering, equal road feel, more than enough power --- and slightly better mileage. Throw in the extra space and new technology and I'm completely sold. It leased out better than my '08 535 and way better than a similar 2011 5 series. The 20" wheels really make a huge difference.

#82 ·
No way! I didn't even get a production number yet and I placed the order last week!!! Did you pick it up yet???? Pics?????:thumbup:

#83 ·
I just traded our 2010 X5 35d after putting 20k miles on her. It was a superb vehicle and I had no regrets. I bought a 2011 5.0 cause I missed the power and sound of a gas V8. I will drive this car for some time and I am still open to perhaps getting another diesel down the road.

One thing that I did not like at all was the hassle with diesel fuel and the awful support by US gas stations, from wrong nozzles to oily nasty pump handles to stations carrying no diesel at all and the wide variance of diesel grade. THAT was a major, major pain that I don't miss anymore.

But I sure miss the gas mileage that I no longer get! LOL
:rofl:

#87 ·
I have had my MY 2010 x5 35d for about a year, with 13k miles on it.

So far, it has been awesome. The torque is awesome, especially when going 25mph+, it has rock solid handling (I have adaptive drive, and drive in sport on the highway and normal on the city streets to soften the ride given potholes, construction, etc), and it gets great mileage (about 23-24mpg overall, mostly highway driving). I live nearby many diesel stations, and the chevron I frequent most is very clean.

It is very quiet for a diesel, but it is louder on the outside than the old gas engine (haven't heard the new N55 or N63 versions). I like the characteristic diesel growl, though...it sounds powerful to me. In the cabin and on the road, though, it is very quiet, especially at crusing speeds. Acceleration is audible (more so than my whisper queit 528i), but it is not unpleasant at all.

It does have some turbo lag, so it blasting off at stop lights is your thing (it isn't mine) then it isn't the right choice for you. The 50i (or M for that matter) are certainly better choices for sporty driving, but to me they weren't worth the large price premium (when I bought mine there was the 4500 eco credit, 1800 tax credit, the sales tax/income tax deduction, though there was a phase out with that, and it only applied to purchases made in 2009). I would think if you are looking for the best performance regardless of price the 50i or M are the way to go.

In any event, if you do a lot of highway driving and want the utility, this is the model for you, especially at the price point.

#89 ·
@ Barbja:

We went from an E53 3.0 to a series of E70 3.0's, and the difference was night and day. The E70 3.0 was MUCH quicker off the line than the E53. (I have not driven the 3.5i with the 8 speed, so can't comment there, although I would suspect that there is some turbo lag that would make it slower off the line than the NA 3.0). So something doesn't add up.

A couple things you could try:
  1. Driving in DS mode instead of D should drop you down a gear in almost all situations, which will noticeably improve pick-up..
  2. AFAIK the 35D has an adaptive transmission which learns your driving style. If you drive like a little old lady 90% of the time, it will shift slowly and make the car feel slower. Try driving it for a week like you are a 17-year-old boy. If I am correct, it will learn your "new" driving style and shift quicker for you in the future.
  3. Try a different brand of fuel. I'm still a little puzzled by diesel, and the lack of cetane ratings at the pumps. Not sure what the difference between "regular" and "premium" diesel is, as it seems to be a well-kept secret. But I "think" I notice my 35D performs better on some tanks of fuel than on others, so it may be worth checking to see if different fuel gives you better performance.

It also may be that your short trips never allow the motor to properly warm up. Next time you take that "long" drive to IKEA and back, see if you feel the acceleration is as lacking at the end of the trip as at the beginning.

At the risk of stating the obvious, a 5,000 pound SAV probably wasn't a good choice if you wanted good gas mileage and quick acceleration on very short trips. A smaller hybrid may have been more what you were looking for. (X6 5.0? You don't even want to know how bad the fuel economy would have been on your daily drive!)

#93 ·
Its been 6 months, 8000 miles and absolutely no regrets. This is my first SUV and a first Diesel. You have to just get used to the idling engine sound and a small turbo lag at start. There are no problems with winter starts, I live in IA and the temperatures so far has touched -15's to -20's (wind chill). Also the dealer and the Cust. Rep on BMW Assist said, any regular diesel at the pump will work when asked them about the 5-20% Bio Diesel. I get 21.5 MPG in city driving and got 25-26 in my recent trip to FL.

#94 ·
Love the MPG, but mine seems loud

Is that normal for a diesel? I sound like a school bus, and 0-40...loud, after 40 mph it is pretty quiet. First diesel, altho I did drive a friends, and test drove one at the dealership and I didn't remember either of those being loud.

#99 ·
Is that normal for a diesel? I sound like a school bus, and 0-40...loud, after 40 mph it is pretty quiet. First diesel, altho I did drive a friends, and test drove one at the dealership and I didn't remember either of those being loud.
How many miles do you have on yours? I too found mine to be loud at first but find that with a little use (2000 miles now) it seems to have quietened down. Of course it's possible I just got used to it. But sometimes when my wife drives it and comes back into the garage I open the door from the house and listen, and it definitely is less than it was say 1000 miles ago.

My mileage is not that great, although driving is still about 80% suburban with about 40% short trips. Best I've seen and computed is about 19.7.

#96 ·
Wow... So much has changed, yet so much stays the same... all this complaining...

I have 30,000 miles on my 09. I can haul a full load of family and cargo at 75mph, getting 28mpg, for 500+ miles between stops. NOTHING beats me off the line (because I'm usually the only 1 racing), I have MORE than enough power to enter the highway at speed, make space, and pass anything that I need....

All while getting 28MPG on the highway, 22MPG around town, in a 5000lb SUV, that looks great too... oh yeah, handles great, doesn't get stuck in the snow too... Oh and the diesel, yeah it's more noisy than the neighbor's prius... I can start it in the garage with no fumes. I don't have to do anything to it, except drive it, and take to the shop when the car tells me something is wrong. And once there the shop treats me like a celebrity.

It's F'ng fantastic technology... Don't buy the diesel if you just commute around 5miles to and from the store / work, but then why get an X5. If that's all i ever did, I'd get a convertible, sedan or wagon. Don't buy this if you want to feel / sound like your driving a race car... Get the V8 or better yet, an M5.

Buy the right tool for the job and you'll be happy... A Diesel SAV is best suited to long over the road trips, hauling gear and toys, and doing it using less fuel with less stops...

If you don't get it, you won't get it...

#98 ·
:thumbup: We must have twins, 11,000 mi. and so far it's a rocking machine. While I must admit I don't get attached as much to an auto like some folks here but to each their own, the diesel has it all. My ONLY complaint right now is that when refueling I cannot help but to keep checking that I have chosen the correct pump as I have three other vehicles (two gas-two diesel total). Turns out that in our marriage contract (fine print) I am to refuel all engines. Mine will be gone in less then three years but if it keeps performing like it has been it will be the benchmark for the next purchase and will salute her on the way out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.