BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone regret their 35d diesel purchase

16K views 106 replies 55 participants last post by  BR328 
#1 ·
Just ordered a new 35d today. I've never owned a Diesel before and am still a little nervous. I drove one a few months ago, but had to place the order without test driving another one since the dealer didn't have any on the lot. Just wondering if anyone who purchased one has had any regrets...

#97 ·
I purchased my 2010 X5 35d in a similar manner, having test driven the vehicle once and then had to place an order for the one I wanted. I was focused on the "green" aspect of the diesel over the X5, given the better gas mileage and the better performance over the 6 cylinder. I've really enjoyed the diesel and it didn't take long to get used to the sound of the car. It has great torque and acceleration for a SAV. The only complaint I have is with an interior finish on all four door seals that overlap the headliner that have begun to "oxidize" or fade from black to a grey. The dealer and the field representative have determined that this is not a manufacturing defect, but rather due to the environment. I live in Souther California and the car is mostly garaged during the day and evening. Outside of that complaint, I have really enjoyed the added distance between fill ups at the gas station.

#102 · (Edited)
Well I wasn't that alert to how they used to be but the other day there was a fairly new, large dually (but still light-duty) truck at the gas station. He had been parked before I got there, with engine turned off. I stopped at the pumps about 3 over from where he was.

About mid-way through my own fueling, I was startled by a sudden and LOUD diesel sound. Expecting a semi but not having seen one, I then determined it was coming from this truck. The clatter was deafening, even outdoors and me about 50 feet away. I don't know if it was modified to sound louder but it was pretty incredible in its volume.

I've only had one comment on the 'dieselness' of my X5, when I was in an empty parking lot and wanted to admire it in motion, so I asked my wife to drive it around slowly. A guy taking a walk with his wife asked me if it was a diesel and said something like "cool" - he had a gas X5.

PS: Looks like you're doing about 70 miles/day? That's very good mileage if all city.

#104 ·
Yes, I'd say about 70 miles a day. Depending on whether my kids catch the bus or not (missing it is usually the case). I use up more gas on the 20 miles to/from school at 35-40 mph then I do going on a long 2 hr highway drive to my mothers. And, after driving the Jeep Commander...I can deal w/ the noise with such great mpg. When we ordered our X5...Diesel was 3.19...now 3.65! Still a deal w/ the gas mileage. (but, 3.19 was much better). We had a MINI stick shift. The x5 sort of reminds me of the way the MINI sounded...altho a don't have to shift gears (remember the Volk-o-matics?). So, besides my concern over the diesel noise...I am super happy w/ the X5.

#103 ·
Standard seats

I like pretty much everything about my X5d

What I don't like are the standard seats. Too firm and I can't deflate the lumbar support enough to get comfortable. Or, perhaps the lumbar is fully deflated and the seat's springs are just too pronounced in the same area.

I hate that I can't close the rear hatch via the keyfob or the console.:mad:

I hate that BMW deceptively omitted the front tweeters, yet left the tweeter enclosures in place.:mad:

I hate that BMW omitted the rear cargo lift spring as the means to save $5 :mad:

#105 ·
The guy probably had a 3" Banks dual turbo set up with flowmaster's and was on his way to run 14.5 second quarters at the track.:rofl: Diesel trucks are loud. They are designed to work hard and last a long time with little attention paid to noise abatement. Actually in the cab you really don't notice it that much. Outside, alongside, is where (as you experienced) it rattles and clatters a lot. :D

#106 ·
11500 miles now and zero issues. 23.2 MPG combined. Love the sound and the way it drives. No regrets.

#107 ·
I have both the X5d and 335d (for about a year now). The diesel engines are great and hopefully more bomb-proof long term.

The only negative aspects I could think of....

- They are heavier than the gasser 6 which is more of big deal on the 335d
- Fueling stations are sometimes a problem (bad pump, no diesel, out of diesel)
- Fuel mileage on very short commutes is probably not gonna be better than a gasser
- It's louder on acceleration

I've never previously owned a diesel and now I doubt I'd ever own a gasser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.