BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Not a great first experience...

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  z06bigbird 
#1 ·
I am posting this in hopes that there is someone else out there who has experienced a similar problem as mine and can offer some advice. I purchased my first BMW on October 31st. It is a 2008 535i. It was a one owner car with low miles (46k) and seemed to be problem-free.

About 9 days after I bought it, I got a "Shift Lever Malfunction" message that started coming up periodically while driving. I took it in to the BMW service center and they replaced the shift lever ($1k) and all seemed to be fine for about a week. The shift lever error came back randomly while driving one morning. I thought maybe this was a fluke because it popped up so fast. A couple days later, I was sitting in a Wendy's drive-through and the error came up and my power windows, locks, seat and mirrors all shut off and the light on my steptronic shift turned off. I could not place the car in park or anything else. After turning the car off and back on, everything seemed to be ok but the same "shift lever malfunction" light would come on and off.

I took the car in to the dealership again and they have had it over a week now. They have replaced the body control module but according to them, the error came up while they were test driving it so I guess it is back to square one. I can not believe that my first experience is like this but I hope there is someone out there who has had similar problems that can offer me some advice. Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#6 ·
Friend.....

Do take the time to hook up a charger to the batterry at least to test it. (I know you have to take out some interior trunk trim and it's a PITA, but give it a try).

I am new to BMW, but I had a new batterry, and we drive it basically relatively short distances (insufficient to keep battery charged). I did not have the exact symptoms you've encounter (08 528 XI) but I did have clocks going out, lights out, and warnings as to 4wheel/dsc malfunctions. A recharge solved it all.

I'm guessing only, but I think all the electric options exceed the batterrys capability, and the computer system shuts down certain electric functions when battery capacity is low.

I bought a $70 Shumacher charger (at any big box), pigtailed some charging cable directly to the battery so I can plug it in easily. and charge it every several weeks. No more problems related to electrically controlled functions.

Hope it may work for you

Sincerely PeterF111

#7 ·
Friend.....

Do take the time to hook up a charger to the batterry at least to test it. (I know you have to take out some interior trunk trim and it's a PITA, but give it a try).
You can charge the battery using the terminals under the hood. No need to remove panels in the trunk.

#8 ·
SoLucky is so right.....

I was thinking about adding a pig-tail onto the batterry that lays neatly in the trunk,with male/female receptical ends so it is convenient to recharge on a regular basis.

Just check battery capacity (both volts and % charge) using jumper points under hood and even a new battery can be below 12V and low 50% capacity.

Will be interested if the battery is the issue.

Good luck... it's the easy solution... if it is the solution.

PeterF111

#9 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. It is still at the BMW service center. They still have not found the problem. Today marks two weeks of it being there not counting the first time I brought it in for the problem. They have so far replaced the shift lever, seat module and the body control module. They seem to think now that it could be the idrive controller but they have been trying to get it to throw the error up for three days now to test it out and now it doesn't want to give the error. It's just more waiting...

#10 ·
Just let them deal with it. They already confirmed the problem. You should be driving a BMW loaner from them anyway. If they can't fix it after a certain amount of tries and time, the car should be returned under the lemon law.

#11 ·
Just a quick update:

BMW still has the car. The car decided to go into a "remission" so to speak and the error disappeared for a week so they could not test whether or not the new idrive controller would fix it. Yesterday during a test drive the shift lever malfunction came up again and they were able to get it hooked up to the computer while it was giving the error. They said that as soon as they unplugged the idrive controller, the error went away. They are installing a new one today and hopefully this nightmare will be over...

#12 ·
The idrive controller was not the fix that I was hoping for. After another week in the shop, the technicians removed the driver's seat and traced wires individually. They found one that was very loose and seemed to be causing the shift lever malfunction. I got the call this morning to come pick the car up. Yesterday marked one month that it was in the shop. Even though my car is a couple months outside the BMW factory warranty, they covered the repair as a goodwill warranty repair. It has been quite the experience but I am very pleased with the service center and their customer service!

#13 ·
AKA: Break My Wallet

Too funny. Last week some object very skillfully bypasses my grill and pierces the AC condenser. I had that fixed two days later. Then yesterday something flies up on the interstate and cracks my windshield. My wife's first response was I wish you had your old car because that windshield is going to cost you. The only upside is that my Indy made sure to tell me that a new AC condenser added 40 horsepower:) He knew just what to say to make me feel good about writing that check.

The joys of owning a BMW 535xi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.