BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F10 M Performance 535i Exhaust is a Joke!

27K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  K-A 
#1 ·
I just received and email back from www.getBMWparts.com (Tischer BMW in Maryland) stating there's no performance enhancement on the exhaust other than the looks and sound for the system. :thumbdwn: I'd be ashamed to even release an exhaust for it being strictly cosmetics and to even classify it as an "M Performance product" :cry: Come 'on BMW, stop being stingy and manufacture some "high performance" mods.

#7 ·
FYI, almost all turbo exhausts are minimal power gains, unless accompanied by a tune. Just saying.

#10 ·
+1

Since we have same engine (but probably different exhaust) I can tell you that the "sound" improvement with just BMW Performance Power Kit V1 (~ $800 at the dealer) is major. I'm still pondering whether to spring $2,000 for a BMW performance exhaust - I'm already driving, since December, with windows open when it's above 40 degrees like an idiot just to hear the sound. Can't help it.

However, I'm perfectly fine with (now) 320 hp and I do not ask for more. But that sound ... ohhh, that SOUND!

EDIT: this is to OP, not Needsdecaf

#8 ·
Better value to go with downpipe without cat

#12 ·
It will have to wait, unless parked I have no means to record it properly. Now that you mentioned it, I have been playing with the idea to get a GoPro since I've seen that there's a wireless microphone option available. I think I will get it before summer ends. The plan is to tape the microphone in the middle of the rear bumper between exhaust pipes and run thin wire into the trunk. Wireless microphone unit stays there and the camera in the cabin.

I'll gladly post it once I get around to mount everything and go for a proper drive to record it.

Before that, main features PPK brings to exhaust on N55:

- very bassy tone between 1,800 and 2,200 rpms (heard/felt even with windows closed)
- burble on overrun
- POW! on overrun when engine is close to redline
- generally meaner tone then on stock engine

Who knows, maybe I will go for PE by that time, too :)

#15 ·
Nice sound!

#16 ·
I just purchased the M sport Exhaust I believe it has a nice tune to it. I had the Magnaflow exhaust, which was Catback felt a little bit more power but the car needed a tune because the car started to run rich and left soot all over my white bumper. This one is a axle back enhancement and doesnt need a tune just a good professional to install. I plan on making a video on a cold start and couple of revs and hard passes.

#19 ·
I am not surprised at all. In fact, it's par for the course. Half the stuff on the M-Performance catalog are non-performance related (e.g. carbon-fiber mirror caps), and BMW is whoring out the "M" brand for more "M"oney and "M"arketing.

#28 ·
I gotta agree. I mean, I'm having fun with the exploiting of M badges on my "M Sport" since I feel that this car and the engineering put into it is so damn good that it honestly is worthy of an "M" or any big badge, however, fact is that it's whoring the badge out. Fortunately BMW engineered such a great car, I don't see people giving them much crap for it.

However, the "M Performance" parts are just the line. I was astonished in how there are no performance parts within them! WTF? At least "M Sport" is more appropriate, but these things literally SAY "Performance". You can get rocker panel decals that say "M Performance" on them, on an F10 without even M Sport Package. C'mon BMW, clean it up, "M Performance" is way too far and a surefire way to eventually truly dilute and kill the specialness and "power" of the M badge they so depend upon.

#29 ·
Ive been chewing on this exhaust for sometime. This week I finally had the opportunity to cruise around with all the windows down and I quickly came to the conclusion that I will pursue the msport exhaust. The performance of the car is good enough for me, sound wise I almost feel like I'm driving a Lexus hybrid at times. I need sound !!! I want to here that I6 in all its glory!!!

As far as whoring the "M", I somewhat agree, but its nothing like "AMG"....at least not yet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#30 ·
I
As far as whoring the "M", I somewhat agree, but its nothing like "AMG"....at least not yet.
I beg to disagree - it's already much worse than AMG. Not that I'm a MB fanboy - to the contrary, I love BMW in spite of many disappointments - but putting 10 'M' stickers on a modest 528 is silly :) And of course, none of them has anything to do with performance.

#31 · (Edited)
Yeah, M-B actually doesn't put any AMG badges on their Sport-Package cars, which you have to respect. My W211 E with what was then a very rare and expensive AMG Sport Package had exhaust tips with AMG carved into them. However, as the Sport Package become generic/whored/out/free, M-B stopped using the "AMG" word in it, and took off any signs of AMG badging. The only way you can get any AMG logos at all on an M-B is if you get the "AMG Wheel Package" where it comes on the rims.

Now if we're talking the *LOOK*, then yes, M-B has whored the AMG look out so much that who cares about badging. The most normalized M-B's have what were originally designed to be "AMG Sport Packages", they don't even charge a penny for it. BMW at least keeps the "M" look exclusive, which IMO allows them to get more away with giving us badges, as we get more out of the package and pay for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.