BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 Scion FR-S

15K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  mr29 
#1 · (Edited)
The 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated engine is the result of a joint development between Subaru and Toyota, bringing together their technical know-how and passion for sports cars. Subaru brings its newly developed horizontally opposed boxer engine while Toyota adds its D-4S technology (direct injection combined with port injection). This results in increased horsepower and torque without sacrificing fuel consumption and environmental performance.

The flat-four engine will be mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual will offer quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission will feature sporty shifts controlled by steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifts. Power will be distributed effectively to the rear wheels through a limited-slip differential.

Based on an entirely new front-engined and rear-wheel drive platform the production model will offer the driver confident stability and manoeuvrability, while still being quick and nimble into and out of any corner.

The FR-S final production model will be realized around the idea of unique balance thanks to its compact dimensions, light weight design and low centre of gravity ensuring the best possible power-to-weight ratio and resulting in an intrinsic joy of driving.

Length: 168.2 in

Width: 71.5 in

Height: 47.4 in

http://www.ft86club.com/

http://sciclonic.com/2011/04/official-2012-scion-fr-s-concept-unveiled/

See less See more
1 1
#35 ·
I drove it again in Las Vegas the other day. Still fun and nimble, but rather gutless above 65 mph. I still like it.

My story is in my sig.

- Mike

#36 ·
I'm impressed that they decided to make an old-school sports car. It's light and nimble and designed to handle well and be fun to drive. I think everyone who wants more power, turbo/supercharger, fatter tires, etc. is missing the point. The Miata was considered one of the best driving cars for years even though it was tiny, had a small motor and skinny tires. Think of this as a Miata with a roof.

Watching racing, I see two kinds of cars: Power cars and momentum cars. The power cars are about about muscle and powering out of a corner. They don't always handle particularly well. A momentum car is down on power, but it's sharp handling makes it easier to keep the speed through corners and is often considered more fun/challenging to drive. The BRZ/FR-S is definitely a momentum car!

#37 ·
I'm impressed that they decided to make an old-school sports car. It's light and nimble and designed to handle well and be fun to drive. I think everyone who wants more power, turbo/supercharger, fatter tires, etc. is missing the point. The Miata was considered one of the best driving cars for years even though it was tiny, had a small motor and skinny tires. Think of this as a Miata with a roof.
You hit the nail on the head.

I race a Porsche Boxster for fun. It has about the same power/weight ratio as the 86/BRZ/FR-S (200 hp), and it is an absolute joy to drive on the track.

I'd buy this little car in a heartbeat.

- Mike

#38 ·
It's interesting, but too one-sided in the performance department in my opinion. Needs more power (torque notably), even at the expense of a bit more weight to be a better rounded vehicle.

For all their effort, I suspect it's only slightly faster than a properly spec-ed Miata. At least it costs less.

#39 ·
But that is missing the point. Toyota wanted (needed) a proper lightweight sports car that was fun to drive. The words "fast" and "well-rounded" and "luxury" were never discussed.

For what they were seeking, they seem to have nailed it.

- Mike

#40 ·
Never mentioned anything about luxury but thanks for making up and misusing quotes.

The power is noticeably down compared its competition in the same price range, irregardless of purpose or target demographic in this day and age. It'll only be useful when you can really rev the thing, which isn't practical on anywhere except a track. It's not going to be a good daily driver if you have to use it as such, so I suspect it will appeal mostly to more hardcore enthusiasts that get enough time on a track or autocross course until they can bump it up a modest amount.

Obviously, the car only holds a minor interest with me the way it is now. I had some hopes it would be a possible candidate for a side vehicle to use for fun, but this doesn't look like it from my perspective.

#42 ·
The standard cars have DI (sourced from Toyota). A turbo would be welcomed!

- Mike

#43 ·
Subaru BRZ vs. Ford Mustang V6 (w/Track Pack)

Out on winding roads, Mackenzie is impressed with the Mustang's steering, saying it may be the best of any American car ever made and that he is only reminded of the pony car's live rear axle when hitting a mid-corner bump. The BRZ impresses with its low center of gravity and lighter weight, which contribute to a nimble feel. The smaller, less powerful engine must be kept higher in the rev band to carry speed through the curves.

Both cars are entertaining on canyon roads, but MacKenzie wants to know how much of a difference horsepower makes on a race track. To find out, he hands the keys over to Randy Pobst for some hot laps around Streets of Willow. Pobst likes the BRZ's balance and linear power delivery. On the other hand the Mustang's powerful V-6 requires less shifting.

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-mustang-v-6-2013-subaru-brz-battle-in-latest-mt-video-201575.html

https://wot.motortrend.com/video-find-in-depth-look-at-2013-subaru-brz-development-198209.html

#46 ·
just cant get excited with it. its a great sports car with an econobox engine. maybe if they do add a turbo but given toyotas lack of anything with a pulse (fj asside) I doubt it. even subaru seems to be lowering performance these days.