BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW new Diesel version for 2014

10K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  Molampp 
#1 · (Edited)
From car and driver, about the new 3.0 Diesel:

"It will offer 255 horsepower, 413 lb-ft of torque, and a 0-to-60 time of less than seven seconds."

The current Diesel engine has 265 HP, and 425 Lb-ft of torque. What gives? Am I missing something? Why is BMW reducing the power in the new 3.0 D engines?

#2 ·
All explained in our F15 X5 coverage -

New X5 xDrive35d benefits from the latest BMW Advanced Diesel technology
The new BMW X5 xDrive35d features an all new inline six-cylinder diesel engine offering an even better balance between performance and fuel consumption than the outgoing diesel. The 3.0-liter engine, whose BMW TwinPower Turbo technology comprises VNT turbocharging and common rail direct injection, now develops maximum power of 255 hp and maximum torque of 413 lb-ft which is delivered between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm. In spite of the slight reduction in output from its predecessor, the new BMW X5 xDrive35d has a 0-100 km/h (62 mph) sprint time of 6.9 seconds (preliminary), making it just as quick or quicker. With the latest technology and the addition of an 8-speed automatic transmission, the new model is expected to post significant improvements in efficiency (EPA mileage estimates will be available closer to launch). The new X5 xDrive35d uses the latest in emission reduction technology. Lower nitrogen oxide limits are met using a close-coupled NOX adsorber catalyst and an SCR catalyst with urea (AdBlue) injection.

Read more about the 2014 F15 X5 here - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699522

#4 ·
My guess is that this will be a single turbo engine (despite the marketing name "TwinPower Turbo") and not double/bi-turbo as it is with the current E70

basically this will be the engine known from e.g. 330d, 530d in the rest of the world

#5 ·
I don't care about the power reduction, its really minimum. What I care about is finally we get the 8-speed auto. As much as I love our X5 the current transmission sucks...no other way to put it.

#6 ·
That's interesting.. last year, the majority of diesel owners I read prefer the 6 speed transmission because of complaints of "too much spending time searching for the right gear" and / or "too many gears to switch". Now that it will be a part of the diesel platform... I'm curious to learn how many will ACTUALLY complain :rofl:

#11 ·
I dont care what number of speeds they put in it, as long as its
A) not hunting for gears
B) designed to last
C) Not Designed by BMW transmission Software developers

I`m gonna be happy.

They really dropped the ball on the 8 speed transmissions. The lag effect is UNFREAKIN BMW like. The only resolution I have seen is some kind of piggyback, which removes the dead pedal/lag response, but really comeon, why do I need to add-on dead-pedal removing piggback devices to the ultimate driving machine.....

#12 ·
Hopefully they also make the ECM remember the last setting of ASS, and finally hopefully the diesel model has no option pack restrictions that the E70D had.

#14 ·
For those of us who tow, it sucks that they are reducing the output. I don't really need another two gears for towing. It just means it will switching gears even more

#20 ·
Fact: More gears allow Diesel Engines to stay in their Ideal Power band, thus improving driving performance and pleasure
Fact: BMW literally cannot get programming on their transmissions in recent years down. They stumble, hesitate, or having stalling conditions
Fact: BMW stumbles on their programming regardless of transmission MFG: GM or ZF
Fact: Check out username: Needsdecaf's recent on post on the F10 section. Detailed account of his problem (same transmission), recount of time with the BMW district rep and engineer.
Opinion: The 6 speed is nice, albeit it has some issues with high rpm at hwy cruise speed (if your use to 7 or 8 speed transmissions in your other cars). The 8 speed is gonna take a dump on diesel aficionados if we are to judge how it will behave based on the current 8 speed offerings.

just saying:)

#30 ·
Fact: More gears allow Diesel Engines to stay in their Ideal Power band, thus improving driving performance and pleasure
Fact: BMW literally cannot get programming on their transmissions in recent years down. They stumble, hesitate, or having stalling conditions
Fact: BMW stumbles on their programming regardless of transmission MFG: GM or ZF
Fact: Check out username: Needsdecaf's recent on post on the F10 section. Detailed account of his problem (same transmission), recount of time with the BMW district rep and engineer.
Opinion: The 6 speed is nice, albeit it has some issues with high rpm at hwy cruise speed (if your use to 7 or 8 speed transmissions in your other cars). The 8 speed is gonna take a dump on diesel aficionados if we are to judge how it will behave based on the current 8 speed offerings.

just saying:)
Not "fact" - mostly theory - with plenty of opinion thrown in. In real life I find the above statements do not pan out. The 6-speed gives the diesel plenty of range to rev within the limits that engine thrives. This is not a low speed diesel like you find in a ship. The engine has been designed to rev through a broad range of rpm's. When your speed is constant, the engine with the 6-speed does find a low speed regime to run economically. You do need to shift to sport mode, if you want to drive more aggressively, however.

#23 ·
What a tease:
"Spartanburg, S.C. ***8211; August 1, 2013***8230;Production of the third-generation BMW X5 officially began today with the manufacture of dealer vehicles designed to generate excitement and sales in their region. The first, new BMW X5 is a Mineral White M50d (six-cylinder inline diesel engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology). It features Exclusive Nappa Mocha leather interior and will be exported to a dealer in Eastern Europe. :(
***8226;... the BMW X5 M50d M Performance Automobile with tri-turbo six-cylinder in-line diesel (280 kW/381 hp)."

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pres...=9&id=T0144413EN_US&left_menu_item=node__2207

#25 ·
Imagine the pricing on the M50d for the NA market. LOL It would probably slot either at or equal to the base 50i and below the X5M

#27 · (Edited)
Perfectly fine. I'd buy one as would many others and I stated that FACT to the development team when we reviewed the 2014 X5's during preview. All he could say was "It would be nice" but he didn't project US availability ANYTIME soon. :cry:

The new 8 speed transmission would NOT FIT with the old engine so logically there HAD to be a new engine.

One VERY IMPORTANT note on the new transmission that all here appear to be missing...
These 8 speed transmissions have the ability/feature that they can go into a zero revs/eco mode even while traveling at interstate speeds. Yes, even the Diesel version will have this ability. That means that the fuel economy gains will come not JUST from the additional 2 gears but also will be variable based on the WAY the owners drive their cars. I can envision a trip down the mountain getting 50MPH and the same trip up the mountain getting the a mile or two BETTER fuel economy than my current X5

#26 ·
I'm not sure if the 8spd tranny has the same auto-learn as the 6spd, but the 6 with 3.0 turbo engine has serious issues with over compensating. Drive around town like a normal person for a few weeks and it thinks you have become a grandparent. Dog slow off the line - even dangerous.

However, if you do the 30 second tap dance on the throttle, it resets back to aggressive shifting and loses the lag. A friend just bought a 2010 335 from the dealer w/ the same problem - he made them reset the car before buying it and was MUCH happier. You just have to do this every month

For some reason my wife's 2008 4.8 6A is overly sensitive and could actually be less abrupt. My 2011 X5M 6A is excellent (both M and non-M modes are just right for each mode) though maybe a bit aggressive in upshifting under light loads (fuel economy)

#32 ·
it blows my mind that some of you guys are "cutting down" the 8-speed AT for the 6-speed. Living with the 6-speed everyday and having driven numerous times the 8-speed, to me at least its like night a day. 8-speed wins hands down. Now how this is going to translate to the diesel, none of us know, but for me the 8-speed is a much better transmission.

#34 ·
May be i am missing something, but 2014 diesel is single turbo vs twin turbo on a previous models??????, therefore after specific rpm it will not accelerate no matter how many speeds you have?????

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#37 ·
I've been driving my 2012 35i for a little over 2 years now and the 30d is my leading candidate for a replacement when my lease expires in August 2014. At that time my commute will be 4.7 miles of city-type driving each way Mon-Fri. Although my company would give me a nice preferred garage parking space if I drove a hybrid or electric, I just can't find one that I want. (The least fuel efficient hybrids don't qualify.)

I've never had a complaint about the 8 sp in my 35i. Rather, I still find myself bracing for a THUD when I do a slightly rolling stop/start from a stop sign due to being mentally scarred by the AT in my 2008 535xi. That tranny was awful in that situation, and would SLAM into first. I have not recovered from it apparently!

#38 ·
...my commute will be 4.7 miles of city-type driving each way Mon-Fri. Although my company would give me a nice preferred garage parking space if I drove a hybrid or electric, I just can't find one that I want. (The least fuel efficient hybrids don't qualify.)...
A hybrid is much better for this application. Your diesel won't get up to operating temp in <5 mi. Doing this repeatedly will undoubtedly have an impact on its longevity (if that matters to you)

#41 · (Edited)

If BMW has its usual eco credits and owner loyalty discounts, I'm sure I can be swayed to stay in the BMW family :)

They need better colors though. The color palette sucks. Where's the red, deep sea blue, dark green?

And I really hope they insulated the cabin. The E70 is louder on the highway than the equivalent Q7/ML/PC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.