BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Service Engine Soon light

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  iskoos 
#1 ·
I've been driving with the Service Engine Soon light on now for about two months. Car's running fine. I've had it in the shop (not BMW dealer) and they said their little computer thing said it was a vacuum error...?? They ran died smoked through the lines and couldn't find any leaks... they did replace one larger vacuum hose though. Still the stupid light is on. Now I did just change the oil after about 10k miles of driving. Could it be telling me that I need to take in for service for oil change? If so, Can I reset this stupid light somehow now that I changed the oil?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Brian

#5 ·
I remember them saying it was a vacuum error...meaning some loss in vacuum pressure I presuming. I don't have the exact code though. I guess I can go to Advanced Auto and have them scan it.

BTW: Is there a trick to resetting the light? I heard if you hold in the left odometer knob that will do it. Is that true?

#6 ·
I remember them saying it was a vacuum error...meaning some loss in vacuum pressure I presuming. I don't have the exact code though. I guess I can go to Advanced Auto and have them scan it.

BTW: Is there a trick to resetting the light? I heard if you hold in the left odometer knob that will do it. Is that true?
If it is a vacuum leak, many things could be causing it. You will have a long check list; some items will be quick and easy some will be hard...

There is no trick to resetting the SES light. Even if you reset it, it will come back on because you didn't fix the issue.

You are confusing yourself with the Service indicator resetting. Yes, you can reset the oil service indicator. Search the forum for "Resetting Oil Service Indicator".

It is easy...

#7 ·
Yea you're right I am confusing myself I guess I was just wishing that stupid Service Engine light would go off if I did the steps for resetting that oil change light. Wishful thinking.

OK back to the drawing board with the vacuum error. I'll try to get an error and post here so hopefully someone might be able to diagnose.

Is it harmful to run the car for long period while this light is on?

#8 ·
Is it harmful to run the car for long period while this light is on?
I have been running my car with those codes (P0171 & P0174) for several years. Nothing happened so far:)
If you do not feel something is wrong with the engine (other than the SES light), you should be fine. But sometimes it is a major vacuum leak and it causes severe engine hesitation.
In my case, I didn't feel anything other than the annoying SES light...

#9 ·
I have been running with p0171 and p0174 codes for a couple months as well. It doesnt seem to have any negative effects as i assume it might only be a small vacuum leak. I suspect it to be a lower intake boot which is a common wear point for e46's. This is one of the easier solutions for fixing these error codes. its a $20 part. However a little reading and searching will give you tons of info on the many factors that trigger these codes. most include ccv and tubing, icv, lower intake boot, DISA valve seal, o2 sensors (pricey), or a fuel filter. All are inexpensive fixes if you are willing to DIY the jobs, but some are more intense then others. Mostly for me the biggest pain is resetting the codes periodically to get ride of the SES light starring me in the face. I just use a inexpensive OBII scanner i got off ebay for $20-30, it does the trick and no problems with it so far.

#11 ·
Yesh man, there are a lot of parts that can cause these codes. The problem is to pinpoint which one it is and to replace it. Most of the time people randomly change parts. I cannot do that. I have checked and replace many of the items you mentioned above. I still have the codes:(
I am thinking mine will be either O2 sensors or the MAF sensor. BTW you didn't mention the MAF sensor. It DOES cause these codes and it is pretty much the most expensive single part in the vacuum leak fix...
I will do more tests on mine soon. I promised myself that I will fix this issue before I sell my car:)

#12 ·
bluebee, I admire you when you rely to posts with tons of useful info and included links.
Great job for people looking for quick info...
I try to include as many info as I can but I can't be like you:)
BTW, you misquoted me in your post. I didn't ask that question:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.