BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 car wont start

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Randy Forbes 
#1 ·
moonbeamer here...New to Bimmerfest .
I drive a Z3 1998 and last night it wouldnt start... put the battery onto charge.
This morning it at least clicked ...and lights came on...but nothing else.
tried jumper cables and nothing....only lights.
Now what ??
please help!!!!

#7 ·
hahaha... was that reply because I am a woman ?? ......
yesterday I checked all the fuses.. I tried to locate the starter solenoid and there were no signs of any burnt wires or loose wires that could be seen.
If I am correct in saying , it could be something to do with the starter possibly....or maybe the immobilizer system???
I tried using my spare key in case it was that as well...
today I will start over from beginning and although its a new battery , test that and test it under load as well....
will check the battery connectors too and work my way through the checklist.
Didnt think about the clutch safety switch...so that will go onto checklist too.
by the way...when I try to start her although there is no click or anything...the headlights dont dim....which makes me think...Starter...am I correct in thinking this???

#8 ·
if you can access the starter solenoid it may have a large post for the battery cable and a small post . check for voltage at small post while some one turns the key to the start position. if it has voltage and does not start it maybe the starter. with the clutch pedal down you should see voltage on both sides of the clutch pedal switch when the key is turned to start position. what is the batt voltage now ?

#9 ·
replacing the battery can be tricky in that it's sometimes hard to get the battery clamps back on securely. I had to use a socket that fit over the posts to push the clamps down. If you have good voltage at the battery (which I assume you do for a new battery), then check the clamps and make sure they are on, all the way to the top of the battery and clamped securely.

#13 ·
+1. car won't start, it's logical to suspect the starter. if you can hear the solenoid click, it means it is engaging the starter. if the starter won't turn after being engaged, one can expect low amperage or bad starter.

since you have new battery and wires are good [?], i would guess starter.

#17 ·
Oops, wrong thread...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.