BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

tire choices, but different

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  fivepointnine 
#1 ·
this topis has been beat to death I know, but I have different needs/wants in my tires than most people on here so Im hoping somebody can give me some choices!

my scorpions are getting close to being done, so I am obviously tire shopping, I live in the PNW so cold rain is the norm, along with snow once or twice a year.

I drive lots of curvy roads and even drive down dirt roads pretty regularly.

I like my scorpions, but I honestly feel they are overpriced for what they are.
I have PSP's on my CLK500...pretty good tire.

I CARE about load rating (I tow my race bike trailer all over, about 1000-1200 pounds loaded with my bike and tools) and I CARE about wet handling (curvy roads in the olympic peninsula in the rain heading to surf spots in the winter)

COST is an issue, I WILL NOT spend more than the Scorpions (and I really dont want to spend that much)

I DO NOT care about treadwear (much), noise or harshness. Id be driving a caddy if those were my concerns.
(for reference my last vehicle was a lifted Nisasn titan with 33's that were over 13" wide)

so start throwing out the suggestions...I was looking at the Conti DWS, but they seem to be eternally backordered.

See less See more
#4 ·
Since your in the PNW head over to les Schawb and look at the Toyo Turevo ls 2 tires. I dropped a set of those on my x3 about 50k miles ago and have been super pleased with them. Very similar to the scorpions but about $30 a tire cheaper. Plus great in the rain and they can do extra sipping for you if you desire.

#8 ·
this topis has been beat to death I know, but I have different needs/wants in my tires than most people on here so Im hoping somebody can give me some choices!

my scorpions are getting close to being done, so I am obviously tire shopping, I live in the PNW so cold rain is the norm, along with snow once or twice a year.

I drive lots of curvy roads and even drive down dirt roads pretty regularly.

I like my scorpions, but I honestly feel they are overpriced for what they are.
I have PSP's on my CLK500...pretty good tire.

I CARE about load rating (I tow my race bike trailer all over, about 1000-1200 pounds loaded with my bike and tools) and I CARE about wet handling (curvy roads in the olympic peninsula in the rain heading to surf spots in the winter)

COST is an issue, I WILL NOT spend more than the Scorpions (and I really dont want to spend that much)

I DO NOT care about treadwear (much), noise or harshness. Id be driving a caddy if those were my concerns.
(for reference my last vehicle was a lifted Nisasn titan with 33's that were over 13" wide)

so start throwing out the suggestions...I was looking at the Conti DWS, but they seem to be eternally backordered.
Yokohama Avid Envigor.. running them on my X3... and the run-flat version on my 328xi...very nice tire.

#9 ·
Being a native of the PNW and growing up on the west side of the mountains, I am very familiar with the road conditions you deal with. I just replaced my Pirelli's a month ago.

I found the Conti DWS on sale at Sears actually cheaper than buying through TireRack and including installation. While these are not typically a stock tire for Sears locally, they happen to have 4 as someone else didn't come in and pick their's up. If you're still interested in the DWS, give your nearest Sears a call to see what they can do. One way to do it is through their website first then connect with the local store.

Schwab was willing to order either the Conti or Michellens (sp? and I know they don't meet your cost requirements), but at a relatively high price. They did try to talk to me about the Toyo's, but I had already priced the Conti's lower.

Good luck.

#14 ·
Just installed Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons yesterday. When I purchased vehicle few months ago for the wife that was tire that was on it. They were worn pretty even but down to 4/32's. So went to Discount tire & paid $670 cash/carry. Installed them were I work & balanced out really nice. Not much else to say as only have 30 miles on them so far.

#15 ·
I just put the P Zero Neros on on Friday. They received good testing results during one of the Tire Rack's comparison tests. The price was really good on the 18's, too.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

#17 ·
From TireRack's technical info:

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles.
This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is.
Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

Sounds similar to the problem that Kia has in proclaiming their fuel consumption ratings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.