BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Automobile Magazine S550 vs 750Li Comments

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  chrischeung 
#1 ·
Posted today... "REVIEWS: 2009 Mercedes Benz S550"

I can now admit that the entire time I spent driving our Four Seasons BMW 750Li back to Michigan from California I was secretly thinking the S-class would have been a better ride. I much prefer the linear acceleration of the Benz's normally aspirated engine to the BMW's laggy-then-explosive thrust from its twin-turbo mill. Mercedes' active body control feels a bit more normal than any of BMW's fancy new dynamic drive control settings. And the cooling function on the Benz's front seats is much, much quieter than BMW's system.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/0906_2009_mercedes_benz_s550/index.html

In truth, those are probably all legitimate gripes. I hear ABC on the MB is great. I still think the 7-series is better.

#4 · (Edited)
I would say it meets expectations and is competent - but far from amazing. I can't see any major technology or advances on the car that haven't already been available on prior or existing BMWs, or cars from other manufacturers. It's a parts bin special in many ways. The only 2 innovations I can see are side view camera and speed limit sign recognition.

I would have really liked folks to have called the 7er ground breaking and innovative - but I haven't seen praise like that yet. Shouldn't that be what a 7er is about? Past 7ers have introduced ABS, PDC, DSC, ARS, comfort seats, iDrive, 6 speed auto - where's the innovation like that on this 7? Things that go on to become standard on other cars since they are so ground breaking. Being slightly better than the competition isn't really the same as being amazing.

Having said that, I'll still consider the car when my lease ends.

#7 · (Edited)
Four wheel steering was offered by the Honda Prelude and Mazda MX-6 in the late '80s. Lane Departure by Mercedes, Nissan, and Honda at least before BMW.

#9 · (Edited)
From memory, these were offered by BMW before anyone else (could be off though):

E23 - ABS
E32 - DSC, PDC, 5 speed auto
E38 - M contour seats
E65 - ARS, iDrive, 6 speed auto, Bangle Butt
F01 - side view cameras, chrome accents, speed limit sign recognition

I'm not saying that the F01 is a bad car - just that I wished it offered something significantly truly new and innovative, like its forbears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.