BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

SMG Light

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  route66 
#1 ·
I've had the SMG transmission light go on intermittently over the past month. It finally stayed on and I brought it to the dealer.

The car has been there for a few days. Apparently it's a software problem. The BMW engineer looked at it today and I should get it tomorrow. They did some software updates and the car should be ok. BMW plan to make it a case study. I'll post any more info. as I get it.

#4 · (Edited)
The problem happened in a couple of situations. The first was when the car was accelerating. No loss of speed or power. Just the light and a tone came on. The second situation is on start. The car will not start. Turn the key and click - no engine turn-over. The light will come on. I removed the key and restarted. Tried this several times until the car would start. The diagnosis was a software problem and nothing wrong with the hardware.

Unfortunately, the light came on again over the week-end. Same situation with a hard start. This is not a good sign. Back to the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.