BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear Brake pads

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  sandeepkarna 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've to change my rear brake pads due in 4300 mi , do i need to go the dealer or prefer some ext known mechanic and what would be the total cost ?

Regards,

Sandeep.

#23 ·
Why don't you update your "Mein Auto " to indicate that your 335i is a 2009? Then no one has to guess or ask.

#12 ·
In ATL Kaufmann Tire can do your brakes and will charge you a fair price compared to the dealer.

#13 ·
No 33K isn't unusal for rear brakes because it depends on what driving has been done.
However I strongly suggest you go to an Indy as mentioned above and have them check the pad thickness.
The BMW pad computer isn't perfect and you might or might not need pads.
I would go with OEM pads if your car is a 2009 or older since they don't dust but if a 2007 like mine or a 2008 I would go with ceramic pads like Akebono or Cool Carbons which will not dust much but still have good brake modulation...

#15 ·
Stay away from the cool carbons. I have them on they are lousy.

#16 ·
I'd recommend that you check out the StopTech Street Performance brake pads. They are one of the most affordable brake pads on the market, as well as having one of the most advanced stopping power. They also make replacement rotors and you can choose between blank, drilled, slotted, and drilled & slotted patterns. For those of you who actually need to do a complete brake job, you might want to also check out the StopTech stage 2 brake upgrade kit which includes rotors, pads, ss lines, and fluids for a brake job for much less vs what the dealer would charge!

#19 ·
The instrument panel directed rear pad replacement a few months ago on my '06 with ~58k miles. Had it done at the dealership; also checked the rotors and they said they were still good. Cost out the door was $344 (half of that was labor). I've replaced brakes once before in my younger days; it was enough of a chore that I don't mind paying ~$175 in labor for a brake job every 50k miles.

#21 ·
I am being quoted $1100-$1200 for replacement of both front and rear brake pads and rotors. The rear are slightly cheaper. About 75% of this is for materials - looks like a good markup as the online prices are $210-240 per axel for the pads/rotors. Of course the dealer is about $100-200 more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.