BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Winter Tires Rental Program

90K views 205 replies 78 participants last post by  john lance 
#1 ·
Actually, not so new as I was about to start the program last year but coincidentally the official BMW tire rental program was announced a few days before my website was ready! I thought it prudent not to compete. Now that there is no official Winter tire rental program offered with ED, I would like to let Bimmerfest members know that my program is now up and running - details at http://www.edwintertires.com - and at very affordable rates!

Winter tires, already mounted on aluminum wheels, are fitted and returned to the tire depot in Garching (close to Harms drop-off center). The original wheels are stored there too, for free, for the duration of the rental term - and other accessories including snow-chains, cell-phones, child seats and Sat-Navs will also be available.

#62 ·
Living here in the Munich area - I can highly endorse this.

If you want to avoid risks - rent the winter tires.

You can never tell what the weather conditions are going to be like during November - March.

Last year we had a mild winter - but this year there were already 2 or 3 days with snow covered roads during last week.

#65 ·
a quick hello

Hi!!

After a whirlwind day of:

Arriving in Munich 7:40 AM
Realizing Verizon lied and my blackberry will not work overseas, and so purchase a throwaway cell phone....
Meeting Peter (Rolf's business partner) for a ride to Welt
Getting the new 335xi @ Welt @ 10:50
Making the quick ride to the edwintertires.com facility
getting the new tires on
In Vienna with friends @ 6:30 pm!

.... I'm exhausted. However, I WILL mention that Mr Lance was true to his word, everything was ready and the process very smooth! It's <32F, and there was plenty of snow throughout Austria, I refuse to think about how the compound on the 18" performance tires would have held up. More to come later, but for now, just checking in with a big THANKS to edwintertires.com!

#67 ·
I doubt people are going to do your home work for you but here are a few tips:

Search the internet for the rates or for the best rates try a consolidator. Econoboxes will run you in the neighborhood of 30Euro a day plus taxes (tip - avoid renting at a train station or airport to avoid a 16%= use tax. You can still return at airport w/o penalty).
A couple of the big Euro renters that you don't see here are Sixt and Europecar.
Also be forwarned about taking the car across boarders - in most cases its no problem but check with the rental company about your itinerary. Also, in most cases one way rentals that involve picking up in one country and dropping off in another can be prohibitively expensive. One way rentals inside a country are no problem.

#71 ·
I just signed a bunch of papers at the dealership in connection with my February 2008 ED, and one of them was a 'release' that warned me that BMW will not be responsible if I wreck due to not having winter tires, and also that I can be fined if I am caught with inadequate tires.

My CA seemed to think that BMW rented winter tires. I will inform him that he was wrong about this (and put in a reservation with you, John, as soon as I'm sure of my dates).

Actually I know when I'm picking up the car; I just don't know if I'll have ANY time to drive it. I'm hoping to have a few days, and drive to Vienna to stay with a relative.

#72 ·
My CA seemed to think that BMW rented winter tires. I will inform him that he was wrong about this (and put in a reservation with you, John, as soon as I'm sure of my dates).
BMW did launch a new tire rental program but John´s seems to be more convenient and a better value.

#73 ·
It seems like the winter season ends in March. For an ED in late April, how confident would you be with performance tires. Driving from Munich to Italian Riviera? I realize there could be a unseasonable storm, but generally...

#75 ·
#88 ·
Normally, yes, you should have no issues. However....nothing is certain in the Alps and there could, just could, be snow. Check the 10-day advance weather forecast before you set off. If all looks good, then you should be fine. If there is snow forecast for higher elevations then you can always call last-minute and get yourself some Winter tires fitted.

#89 ·
I'm picking up my 335i Saturday, my itinerary is to drive it to Lake Como, then to the South of France. I see that the weather is questionable, what is your recommendation? My flight is out of Nice and I am dropping off the car there. Does BMW equip the car with all season tires if weather is inclement?

--Blake

#90 ·
Does BMW equip the car with all season tires if weather is inclement?
Do you really envision your car on the factory assembly line and someone runs over with a weather forecast and suddenly the line stops and different tires are mounted on the car?

You posted in the thread about a winter tire rental program.

#93 · (Edited)
Here is the answer you are looking for

You can pay ***8364; 450 and have your car picked up from you in Nice, taken back to Munich, and dropped off at Harms in Garching.

#95 ·
As an incentive to Bimmerfesters to book early, thus helping me to judge how many sets of wheels and tires are required next Winter, all reservations made by 'Festers for Winter Tires through the website www.edwintertires.com that are booked and paid for by October 1st 2008 will be priced at $1 = 1 Euro !!!

Be sure to enter "Bimmerfest Member" in the Notes section of the on-line reservation form. Reservation dates can be changed once your actual delivery date & vacation dates are finalized.

#96 ·
Thought this deserved a little bump... as it is a pretty sweet deal :angel:

#107 ·
John-

I plan on picking up my new car on the 15th of Dec. Do you have any sweet deals such as this for 2009? Also, I might be dropping off my car on the 24th. Are you open that day? Do you provide the same wheels as the one the car comes with? The reason I ask is, my car is equipped with the M-Sport package and was wondering if you provide similar wheels with winter tires.

Thanks.

#111 ·
Are you John? I didn't think so. That post was addressed to John :)
Even with a smiley, that was a rude comment.

Yeah, but I wasn't sure if the bolt pattern of the M-Sport wheels are different from regular sport package. Also, wanted to know if they had replica wheels that looked cool. Why do the wheels have to the an inch or two smaller? Is that a necessity for winter tires I am not aware of :dunno:
Do you believe that getting an M-Sport version of a car is that different than any other version?

If you don't think that they stick the cheapest possible wheels onto winter tires - without any regard as to finding wheels "that looked cool" - you are sadly mistaken. :eeps:

Regarding the size, winter tires are almost always smaller - and why would the winter tire provider spend extra unnecessary money getting 18 or 19 in wheels when 17s will fit the same car?:dunno:

#97 ·
John, I'll be picking up my 335i on the 18th of November, but I have to fly back on the 21st, so I'll have just 2 days to tour. I'm thinking about heading to Prague, and was considering your winter tire program for the trip. Do you think winter tires will be necessary for that time of year for the journey to Prague and back?

#98 ·
I'm sure John would provide a similar answer...

Chances are you won't have the need but you have to weigh the risk versus your desire to drive (especially long distances such as Prague). Winter weather can start as early as October in Bavaria (even earlier in the high Alpine regions). If you're dead-set on driving the car and /or visiting particular locations, I'd recommend reserving the tires now. If you're flexible and/or don't mind spending the bulk of your time in Munich if weather strikes, don't bother.

Or you could go in between and check the forecast 3-5 days out from your pick up and determine if a reservation would be prudent. Before you rely on this method, you may want to contact John to inquire on the predicted tire availability.

Remember - while winter tires are required by law in our fair countries during winter weather, they are also beneficial (but not required) during cold, dry weather too.

Regarding your itinerary, any particular reason you're heading to Prague during such a short trip? Maybe you have mitigating circumstances or just don't mind the driving/hassles but there are lots of other cool places to see in southern/central Germany that may be equally rewarding if you haven't been. The drive to Prague is relatively simple but uninspiring. Also, keep in mind the hassles you may experience at the border by the German police. They frequently stop luxury cars going into CZ to make sure they aren't stolen so be prepared with your passport and car paperwork.

#99 ·
Brian, thanks for the advice. I'll contact John and reserve the tires. As for the itinerary, I know its not ideal as I only have a few days. I was stationed in Bitburg years ago, and have been to the Munich, Salzburg area several times before. Being November for my ED, crossing the Alps sounded precarious, so it left Prague or Vienna as possibilities as I have not been to either. I'm still up in the air though and would appreciate any recommendations, but I will remain flexible in case of weather.
Mark

#100 ·
I can't predict the future any better than anyone else, but I just checked my notes about past weather conditions in the Fall. In 2003 the first snow in Munich was on the last night of Octoberfest. It was mostly light flurries and was mostly gone by morning, but I would not have wanted to drive through it on summer tires. The next October I was there was 2006, the warmest on record. It hit 70 deg. F. during the day on the last week.

We were in Vienna last month and Prague a couple of years ago. Both are quite interesting. One advantage to Vienna is that it is a straight shot to stop in Melk or Duernstein in the Danube Valley on the way. Let me know if you want photos. (Some are at the ED forum.)

#102 ·
Hey John,

basic question. You've responded in a different thread to suggest I wait to reserve tires. I very much appreciate this honesty in your business :)

I'm picking up on 9/4/09

I'm planning to arrive back in München on 15/4/09 just in case I need to return tires. Given the snow this year, I'm thinking it's a good idea no matter the 10 day forecast.

My plan is to drive München -> Berchtesgaden -> Hohenschwangau/Füssen -> Augsburg -> Rotherburg ob der Tauber -> München

So, the question is ... how late is the service available on 9/4 (my ED pickup is 14:10), and how late is dropoff/replacement possible on 15/4? Not trying to push the limits, but understand them, so that I can figure out my schedule.

Thanks.

#103 ·
Mounting of Winter tires (and wheels) and re-mounting of your originals can take place at the tire depot within the business hours shown below. Appointments can also be made at reasonable times outside of business hours.

Your car can also be left at a Munich or airport hotel for pick-up by our representative (supplement of 50 Euros) who will then take it to the tire depot, have your original wheels & tires re-mounted and then deliver the car to the drop-off agency in nearby Garching. You would, however, have had to complete the drop-off agency's paperwork there in advance.

Tire Depot Business Hours:

Mon-Thur: 8.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. & 1.00 p.m. - 5.30 p.m.

Fri: 8.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. & 1.00 p.m. - 4.00 p.m.

Sat: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. or in the afternoon by appointment.

Sun: Closed, but re-mounting of your original wheels & tires can be made by appointment.

#104 ·
Can someone PLESE give us an idea of the winter wheel/tire rental cost? Is per diem or per week and is there a separate cost to chnge out tires. Just wanted an idea. Thanks

#105 · (Edited)
Can someone PLESE give us an idea of the winter wheel/tire rental cost? Is per diem or per week and is there a separate cost to chnge out tires. Just wanted an idea. Thanks
The link on the site for "prices" spells this out! :eek: Please look there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.