BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Options: 6VC Combox Controller and 8TL Daytime driving lights

35K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  rdog98 
#1 ·
I placed my order for a 2011 X5 35i on Aug 31. I'm not that familiar with the whole inventory management and production scheduling process, but, I'm curious about 2 options that showed up on my order without me specifically asking.

To summarize: I worked with my CA to spec out what I wanted (Premium with the Convenience Package, the Cold Weather Package, the Technology Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, and Light Poplar).

He went away and came back a bit later with a sheet from their computer system with these options plus 2 more. As I understand it, they basically reassigned one of the vehicles the dealer had already in the queue to me and changed it specs to match mine.

I didn't think too much about the 2 "mystery" options 6VC and 8TL at the time. Since then, I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum and ran into the whole thread about the September/October new hardware cut-in to manufacturing for some advanced bluetooth functionality. I haven't really been able to see anything about the 8TL. The description is "Daytime driving lights front and rear active".

Is there any more information available for these 2 options? My CA said no.

Do you think this definitely means that my X5 will come with the new hardware, and, if so, do you think it means my build won't start until the week of October 10?

Does anyone have these options on their orders and also have a production date assigned? Mine is still not scheduled for production at this time when I check on the website.

Even more curiously, when I check the BMW website, it does not have the correct color scheme or these 2 mystery options. So, there is definitely a mismatch between what the dealer showed me and emailed to me and what is available from BMWusa.com

Thanks, Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, 8TL isn't on my build sheet - sounds like that could very well be LED corona rings! This would be the first word that they are updating the corona rings with this mid-year refresh.

Bummer for the rest of us who missed out, but exciting for you.

And don't worry about the website tracking - it's always off, as long as your Dealerspeed printout is correct, everything will be made correctly.

#4 ·
I placed my order for a 2011 X5 35i on Aug 31. I'm not that familiar with the whole inventory management and production scheduling process, but, I'm curious about 2 options that showed up on my order without me specifically asking.

To summarize: I worked with my CA to spec out what I wanted (Premium with the Convenience Package, the Cold Weather Package, the Technology Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, and Light Poplar).

He went away and came back a bit later with a sheet from their computer system with these options plus 2 more. As I understand it, they basically reassigned one of the vehicles the dealer had already in the queue to me and changed it specs to match mine.

I didn't think too much about the 2 "mystery" options 6VC and 8TL at the time. Since then, I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum and ran into the whole thread about the September/October new hardware cut-in to manufacturing for some advanced bluetooth functionality. I haven't really been able to see anything about the 8TL. The description is "Daytime driving lights front and rear active".

Is there any more information available for these 2 options? My CA said no.

Do you think this definitely means that my X5 will come with the new hardware, and, if so, do you think it means my build won't start until the week of October 10?

Does anyone have these options on their orders and also have a production date assigned? Mine is still not scheduled for production at this time when I check on the website.

Even more curiously, when I check the BMW website, it does not have the correct color scheme or these 2 mystery options. So, there is definitely a mismatch between what the dealer showed me and emailed to me and what is available from BMWusa.com

Thanks, Brian
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I picked up my 2011 x5 35i Sport Activity yesterday and it had the 8TL code but does not have the LED Corona Rings. :thumbdwn:

However, I'm still in love with it!

#7 ·
Did you have the 6VC code?

Interesting, wonder why they would bother adding on another code for Daylight Running Lights without changing anything? Weird.

And as for why people like the lights... people care about how the car looks when driving, shocking I know! Although I will admit I don't care as much after getting the car - I think the lure of the LED coronas is stronger before delivery.

#8 ·
Interesting, wonder why they would bother adding on another code for Daylight Running Lights without changing anything? Weird.
Having a "code" does not mean hardware changes! It could be as simple as 8TL means "make sure running lights are activated on delivery".

Just saying..

A

#10 ·
Having a "code" does not mean hardware changes! It could be as simple as 8TL means "make sure running lights are activated on delivery".

Just saying..

A
But on the order sheet? I have my Dealerspeed printout from a July build, and it doesn't have either of these two line items (6VC or 8TL). It does have things like "6NF Smartphone Integration" or "6FL Ipod and USB Adapter".

Still seems strange that their build sheets would have a new line item added without a hardware change. That build sheet refers to *hardware*, not delivery instructions.

And you can change to aftermarket bulbs to get a "white" light for the coronas, but it won't look as good as the OEM option. They have redesigned the entire light housing to spread the LED around evenly, you'd have to replace the entire assembly to get the identical effect.

#6 ·
Why does everybody make such a big deal about the Corona LEDs? When your in the car you can't see them. Who cares!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Because they look super cool. I was driving in front of a 2011 7 series last week and it had the old lights... I was sad for the car. The new lights would have looked so much better!

#15 ·
While there is usually nothing better than 'Factory', I have seen several BMW's around this area that installed aftermarket LED's and they look fantastic.

It truly is a night and day difference in the appearance of the vehicle!

I'm searching out what seems to be the best aftermarket LED for my 2011 35i.

#17 ·
Pls keep me in the loop as I'm looking to change the rings as well, but would hate to spend $150 for these lights. Thanks

#19 ·
Do you have an up-to-date build sheet? It sounds like some people got build sheets with these options for month of Sept when they weren't actually being specced at factory with em. If you have an up-to-date sheet showing the options, you can just refuse the car at delivery - not prepared as specced.

Reports on here have said that build week 40 is when everything starts, but who knows, maybe they're starting early. I bet if you tell your CA that you will refuse delivery if these options are missing, he'll find out for sure.

#26 ·
Sounds like they pulled your order in early - you probably won't be getting the updates. If this is a priority for you, make sure your CA knows that you'll refuse delivery if they're missing. This is the one spot of leverage you've got on the whole process, don't be afraid to use it. You're spending $60k, deserve to get exactly what you want.

#28 ·
Combox

First of all, don't be D_CK to your CA. You know he will bend over backwards for you. Besides he is just trying to earn a living. And by putting him in that situation will only put his career & credibility in jeopardy. Don't argue, trust me.
That said, the COMBOX will replace the TCU which operates the communications/multimedia aspect of your BMW. The COMBOX is about to change everything. You will be able to dictate email and text messages as well as have email and text read aloud. Ipod will have album artwork. Photos will be displayed when you receive phone calls from people with pic attached to their contact info in your phone.
BMW is about to set the bar one step higher.
Not sure about the DRL option. BMW is hush hush with all news. Your CA won't know as much as you if he isn't on the forums. This is where the news breaks.
Congrats on your new Bimmers.

#29 ·
First of all, don't be D_CK to your CA. You know he will bend over backwards for you. Besides he is just trying to earn a living. And by putting him in that situation will only put his career & credibility in jeopardy. Don't argue, trust me.
Who are you? "Don't argue, trust me?" This is the internet, nobody trusts anybody.

All we were saying is that he/she will refuse delivery if the car isn't built as ordered - that's not being a d*ck to anybody, and no CA ever loses their career over somebody walking away from an order. Just means the dealership has to sell the car to somebody else - if they were worried about this, they could require a non-refundable deposit, or simply not take orders.

I don't think any reputable CA would try to force somebody to buy an ordered car that wasn't built correctly - they'll offer an incentive, but if the car doesn't have all the options on the build sheet, any dealership will totally understand if the customer wants to order up a new one.

#33 ·
delaying build for new technology

I delayed my build to week 42 to ensure I get the new technology...however my dealer called me to tell me that BMW is increasing the price of the x5 by $500 for builds that are not code 1 as of September 30th. Essentially, if I delay the car from active production status, I will have to pay $500 more. My concern is if I move the car to code 1, they may pull this order for production early and I may miss out on the updates. I was hoping to be solidly positioned into the October production schedule..but now I am unsure what to do. Anybody else hear about this??

#36 ·
Soooo my CA FINALLY emailed me telling me my build is being submitted today. She has been waiting until she felt it was safe to guarantee the new updates for my vehicle, because she knew how important they were to me.

She said, if builds are submitted too early, then they might start production early which could lead to missing out on these updates I've been tirelessly waiting for.

Should have a production number by the end of the day, YAY!

#37 ·
Swamyg1,

Let us know if your order details include the 8TL and the 6VC codes. As far as I can tell, no one who has that code on their order has received the vehicle yet. There is speculation, both ways, as to whether this code is associated with new headlight assemblies with white LED corona rings.

#45 ·
Nope, it specifically says Daytime Running Lights.

And swamyg1 - take anything your CA says with a huge grain of salt, they often know much less than we do on here. Some are very good and keep up to date, but many others do not.

Seeing as how there seems to be a discrepancy with some orders including the 8TL, and others *not* including, I wonder if it depends on when the Dealerspeed printout was pulled? We already have at least one person who had 8TL and 6VC on a September build, and didn't get either - so perhaps BMW is still changing what an October build will actually include.

My own theory is that they've got a big bucket of old crappy yellow headlights at the back of the factory, and doggone it, they're going to use every one of them up before switching over to the new ones. And they keep eyeballing the pile, to see how many are left, and once they're finally gone... they'll officially go LED. Stingy Germans!

#46 ·
Interesting. I've got both the 6VC and 8TL N/C options on my build sheet for a 335i sedan. The build sheet is from early Sept, so now I guess I should be a little worried about how this will all go down....unless this is an X5 specific thing. I haven't heard anything from my dealer and the web/phone still show "On order" and "Scheduled for Production with no specific Prod date". I'm kinda holding out to see if/when my CA provides an update...after all that was part of his "pitch" about servicing his clients so he just had to make a few more dollars when countering my initial purchase price offer. We'll see....

#49 ·
If you look at the description for the new X3 it says the following:

BMW's signature ''Corona Rings'' are again illuminated to function as the daytime running lights. When equipped with the optional Xenon headlights, the Corona Rings and daytime running lights are illuminated by bright white LEDs.
Why would this be an option? If it's an option that means they would charge for it, right? They don't seem to be charging for the option on the X5 builds according to some of these build sheets. Would it makes sense for them to install the housing, then give the user the option to upgrade to Xenon bulbs? That sounds completely dumb.

Can you help me make sense of that description?

#51 ·
If you look at the description for the new X3 it says the following:

Why would this be an option? If it's an option that means they would charge for it, right? They don't seem to be charging for the option on the X5 builds according to some of these build sheets. Would it makes sense for them to install the housing, then give the user the option to upgrade to Xenon bulbs? That sounds completely dumb.

Can you help me make sense of that description?
On the upcoming F25 X3, the standard headlamps will be halogen and not have any corona rings. By paying $900 for the Bi-xenons, you will also get the LED corona rings, bi-xenon headlamps, and the adaptive headlight control.

#53 ·
A different CA at San Fran BMW emailed me because my CA is out of the office, this is what he had to say:

It appears that the 8TL option is not available for the 2011 X5's- I do not believe that they have re-labeled this option in another fashion. I have looked into what I could regarding this. Please let me know how I can be of further help- your X5 is going to go into production any day now.
So confused!? Why would you guys have this on your build sheets if what this guy and my CA says is true... or are they just sorely misinformed!? Too bad nobody at BMW reads these forums as they could put a lot of people here at ease.

#54 ·
A different CA at San Fran BMW emailed me because my CA is out of the office, this is what he had to say:

So confused!? Why would you guys have this on your build sheets if what this guy and my CA says is true... or are they just sorely misinformed!? Too bad nobody at BMW reads these forums as they could put a lot of people here at ease.
Parse what he wrote: "appears" and "what I could".

Not definitive, simply a reply to make it seem like he is answering you, but really a non-answer.

Send the CA a redacted section of someone else's build sheet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.