BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 rear power window not engaged with motor

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  kenza 
#1 ·
my 2004 X3 rear driver window got disengaged with my power window motor cable. i got the door panel off and i can feel the motor cable go up and down and somehow can not figure out how to re-engage the motor cable mechanism with the white plastic fixture that holds the window. can anyone pls help? i saw some postings that said they used a regular tie wrap to engage it back but didnt describe how it was done. please help
thanks.

#3 ·
thanks for your response. i was looking online for the mechanism to be replaced and found the part mentioned below. is this the one mechanism that you replaced? just wanted to make sure that it is before i purchase since the company is charging so much stuff (restocking, shipping, etc) if the part is returned. is there anything i need to be aware of when replacing the mechanism? thanks again!!!

5135-3448251-OE
Window Lift
Left ( Driver's Side ) Rear
Does Not Come With Window Lift Motor
Original Equipment $138.96

#5 ·
I just successfully fixed my right rear window on my X3 yesterday after reading this thread. I did not have the time to wait for a plastic $50 part so I fixed it with a zip tie and 5 minute epoxy. I'll post some pics later, I know some people wanted to know how to get the door skin off so I took pics of that also.

I honestly can't believe the cheap piece of plastic broke so easily, now I know plastic gets old and dries out and eventually cracks, but 5 years old and it broke. :tsk: Underengineered POS if you ask me.

#8 ·
I just had this happen to my '04 (59k miles, CPO) yesterday. The rear passenger window slid down about an inch, but won't close. I don't think we've lowered that window a dozen times since I bought the car 11/07. I've got an appointment at the BMW dealer tomorrow.

#9 ·
I don't think we've lowered that window a dozen times since I bought the car 11/07.
My impression is that lack of use can be the cause of regulator failure.

At least, that is what I have found with cars other than BMWs.

Frequent use ensures that sticking points don't develop.

In the case of BMW's plastic parts, it may be that after a number of years they are going to break anyway,
but I would think in many cases it is resistance to the glass movement somewhere that breaks that plastic drive dog.

Might be worth asking your Service Advisor on how long he thinks your new one should last.

#12 ·
A word on preventative maintanence. I have found that it helps if you lubricate the window channels. When you roll the window down, you can sometimes hear a pop sound as the window disengages the channel. What happens is that the rubber sticks to the window itself. Because the poor design of the BMW regulator, the extra pull can sometimes cause the regulator to fail. If you keep the channel lubricated, the window slides out more easily as it is rolled down. It puts less stress on the regulator. I'm not saying this is going to completely cure the problem, but it sure cant hurt. As for what lubricant to use, just look around. Choice of lubricant depends on your climate, etc. You just need something that is designed for rubber and glass.

#14 ·
Guys, does anyone have a picture of the faulty plastic (part No 51353448645)? My rear driver window stopped going up... I would like to see a picture of that crappy plastic before I decide if I will buy a new one or try to figure out how to improve it. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.