BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Peak R5 FXC 3 Code Reader vs Others????

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CTBimmerGuy 
#1 ·
Pelican parts sells a Peak R5 FXC 3 code reader that plugs into the port in the engine compartment. Based on the reviews it does a great job diagnosing engine fault codes and resetting various lights such as the oil service light and others. It will not re-set the ABS light. They sell a separate tool for that. BMW owners give this scanner great reviews and say it really interprets BMW fault codes well.

Does anybody have any personal experience with this scanner?

Is this scanner only diagnosing engine fault codes or pretty much any fault code the on board computer throws at it?

Lastly, e36 era BMWs of 98 vintage have an OBD II port under the dash. I just purchased an Actron Pocket Scan Plus which I like quite a bit as well. Are the OBDII code readers interpreting the same data as the Peak code reader and just doing it with a different interface and different hardware/software package or does the Peak Code reader focus exclusively on engine related diagnostics while the Actron and other OBD II code readers interpret different data and fault codes?

My guess is the Peak code reader is plugging into the proprietary BMW interface and interpreting the same data as the readers that get plugged into the universal OBD II port but that's just a guess.

Are there any BMW mechanics on the forum that can answer this question?

See less See more
#2 ·
Peake code reader is adequate for most users but will not allow futher diagnostics like Bav Technics or Carsoft. All other code readers give you a generic code which you must interpriate. They work for most cars but not that well for BMWs unless you like detective work.
I also use the ABS reset tool and again adequate for a home user.
Carsoft and Bav Technics are able to read-manipulate most times-reset modules on your car.
For newer cars that require battery registration Bav Technics does that and Carsoft does that also for only the 5 series.
There is an extensive section in the E90 forums for self coding allowing a user to read and manipulate all modules on the car if the modules are able to be read and modified...

#3 ·
Is this scanner only diagnosing engine fault codes or pretty much any fault code the on board computer throws at it?
Pretty much any fault code.

Are the OBDII code readers interpreting the same data as the Peak code reader and just doing it with a different interface and different hardware/software package or does the Peak Code reader focus exclusively on engine related diagnostics while the Actron and other OBD II code readers interpret different data and fault codes?
The Peake will read everything an OBDII will read, but not vice versa. Peake's are way more comprehensive.

Go over to the e9X board and look at a recent thread by Professor Cook about the Bavarian Technic tool. Lots of very good info.
Are there any BMW mechanics on the forum that can answer this question?

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will check out the threads you mention and have a look at the Bavarian Technic Tool. Wihelm, thanks for your take on the Peake tool. Based on my reading subsequent to buying my Actron it seemed to me the Peake was a more comprehensive and better tool for a BMW. Good to know. So now I guess I need to do some homework on the Bavarian Technic tool. I had not heard of that tool. Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.