BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What's your car insurance cost you?

3K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  kbeamer 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is related to all e46 owners. I have been debating on switching companies for some time. I have searched around an spoke with a few other companies I'm just curious what everyone else pays. ;)

A little back round. I'm now 21, no accidents, no tickets, only issue was one comprehensive claim for a tractor and trailer loosing his spare tire an it met my front end. I've had my car going on three years my insurance started at 158$ per month for 12 months. Every October it goes down. It is current sitting at 136.25 per month for 12 months. I carry Erie car insurance. Car never had a loan either and I am in Eastern PA

Edit: I do carry full insurance.

What do you pay and what company do you carry?

#14 ·
So much has to do with age, the state or city you live in, your driving record, previous losses, and also what coverage you have (liability amounts, collision / comp coverage and dudctible).

For the 330ci I pay $512 a year from a top tier insurer for a car garaged in Reno with maximum liability coverage and $500 collosion deductible / $250 comp. I'm in my early 40's, no tickets for five years, no accidents / collision claims since 1992 although I had a comp total loss in 2007. When the car was new I was paying over $2,000 a year for the same coverage with the car garaged in San Francisco.

My 07 650i is $930 a year, the 06 MINICooper S is $650, and the 2012 MINI Countryman is $792 (all for 12 months.)

#16 ·
Mine is about 160€ for three months, making about 640€/year total.
Should start shrinking bit though when i didn't have any accidents.

#18 ·
If any of you are prior Military or if your Grandfather, Father, Mother, Brother or Sister are in or were in the Military, check with USAA. I pay around 500 every 6 months for both cars that are daily drivers. I also have insurance with them for the occasionally driven cars. They are the least expensive that I've found.

#20 · (Edited)
It gets even cheaper if you have multiple products/services of theirs. I have several types of insurance with them, several investment accounts, checking, savings -- the whole nine yards. Additionally, I've never had a wreck and I have a squeaky clean driving record because I went through and had all my speeding tickets expunged (helps that I'm a law student). That's why my car insurance is so cheap.

#21 ·
I pay $589 every six months for full coverage with a $500 deductible. I'm 49 years old with no current points and my last accident was probably about 20 years ago. My car will be ten years old in January, and at that point I'll raise my deductible to $1000 and that will cut $180 off my payment.

#36 · (Edited)
Think I'm doing pretty good on my rate for my age. Never thought about raising my deductible though. I could do that once my new BMW gets here seeing how it won't be driving as much.

*i am also on my own insurance, and picked up every discount I could find. Just got another email from my insurance company they went ahead an dropped my insurance again to 130.25 every month. I have no direct family in military so no usaa for me.

#22 ·
Farmers Insurance

I pay just over $300 / 6 months for my 2010 335d with Farmers. High deductible, but maximum coverage. It's lower because all my insurance is with them. I'm also old compared to many here, and have a very good credit rating.

I've checked out a couple others (Liberty Mutual, Allstate) and they would be as high or higher. As mentioned, USAA is probably the lowest. IMO/IME, Progressive is crap - you have have to fight to get them to repair your car properly and completely.

It's surprising how much credence they put on credit ratings - the difference between poor and great is probably 25% of your rate. Accident-free is probably another >25%, and deductible limits is also big.

#24 ·
Thank god I don't pay or I'd've been broke a while ago. Since my father told the insurance company that I only "drive on the weekends in his "DD" , while he drives his "weekend car", my insurance is about 1900 a year.

We however did get a quote if I was a full time driver on a VW Jetta; 4100 a year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.