BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How does your opinion of the E65 NOW comapre to when you first saw a pic of it?

• Gorgeous- What was I thinking back then? Hooy-D is a design genius.

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Slightly better- I'm learning to see the beauty of big butts.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Neutral- I still don't like it but I no longer want to vomit when I see one.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Unchanged- It's still hideous. I fear for the future of BMW design.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Worse- As I see more, I'm finding new details to hate.

Votes: 9 11.7%

Do you still think the E65 is as ugly as when you first saw a pic of it?

9K views 65 replies 25 participants last post by  Jetfire 
G
#1 ·
This poll is ONLY for those who did not experience love-at-first-sight upon seeing pics of the E65 for the first time.

Now that it's been around for a while and we've all seen numerous copies in the flesh, so to speak, has your opinion changed?

And, yes, I stole the idea for this poll from one I saw posted at the Org.

#28 ·
TD, you didn't answer my question. Now I'll have to look them up myself :(
Also, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to crush your party $-)

in_d_haus - my reply to such a remark would have ranged from "FU" to "talk to the hand", depending on my mood :D
Can't believe you actually said that.

#29 ·
rost12 said:
Here. Feast your eyes on this beauty, critics.

Of course it looks "good" in that angle, you can't see the front at all, and any of the contourted lines of the rear.

Having said that, I voted I have become more neutral to the design. It definitely has a presence, a heft and a feeling of size to it. The details are just poorly pulled together.

#30 ·
Okie, here's a different angle.

And here's a pic of the trunk. Pic is a bit pale, my scanning skills are limited :(

Now tell me, what's so ugly about that butt?

#32 ·
Personally, i was a bit skeptical when i first saw pics, but now of course i like the styling. Also, im with TD and atyclb on the front thing. The front needs to be a bit more sculpted. In some angles it just looks obnoxious, like the sig pic rost used to have.

#33 ·
rost, the upper picture is sharp! Not my choice of colors, but I really do like the E65 from that angle.

It falls apart for me in the back. I don't like the pronounced shoulders. Their contrast with the upright, squared-off trunklid just isn't consistent with the rest of the car's smoother lines. Plus, the angle of the taillights combined with the horizontal strip across the lid look strange to me. The whole rear just looks too chunky to mesh with the cleaner front end.

In that particular segment, I have a bit of a conflict on my hands. I find the front of the Bimmer far superior to the Benz's current S-class. The S front end is nowhere near the sweetness of the E (new and last gen), SL, and CL. However, I find the rear of the Benz to be better than the Bimmer's. I haven't sat in both of them long enough to make an interior judgement.

#35 ·
rost12 said:

Like this?
BOOO! :lmao:
Thats not too bad. I was thinking of the one you used to have in your sig that was a link to the faq page. It was the Toledo blue one, and the pic was snapped low to the ground and with a slant. It kinda made the car look like it was snarling upwards.

I like that pic of the sterling gray(?). I liked the first pic you posted of it, it looks like its at a outdoor compound of some sorts, with the metal overhangs. Then i see the X5, the XJ, and Rolls Royce(?) and the Kuwaiti plate. Im guessing it's some rich arab oil tycoon.

#36 ·
Nope, that's Kalahari Biege. Some additional pics are on my faq page. This car belongs to Fireo, a guy from Roadfly E65 board, who was nice enough to help me out with some pics.

Hey, I like that sig :cry:

G
#37 ·
in_d_haus said:
UGLY still!

I kinda torqued off my dealer the other day, they were delivering one and I said to the guy "you actually bought one of those?"
I was sitting at a light on my way home tonight directly next to an E65. He even had his window rolled down.

The entire light cycle, I was thinking about this post of yours.

In the end, I just couldn't bring myself to say anything to him.

But, god, that car just looks awful.

#38 ·
Holden is a MFAH with 0 taste

I came to this board because I was tired of this BS on the Roadfly board. Looks like it's worse here!

Well, Mr MFAH, for the record, I loved the E65 at first site, still love it, and can't imagine what kind of a MFAH would go onto a board for owners of a car and post BS like this poll. All the other E65 haters your brought with you are MFAH's, too. I sincerely hope each and every one of you chokes on your own bile and dies this very night.

Have a nice evening, MFAH's:)

#39 ·
Freedom of speech is not doing humanity any good, it seems.

:(

Barnacle Bill, wishing somebody's death over a car is hardly appropriate, IMHO.
Just note that none of the posters who hate E65 would not actually buy one anyway. They are from a different class, different income bracket with different goals. Nobody ever cancelled classic class struggle :D

So, in my opinion, what majority of us here think is irrelevant. Except for opinions of potential or current owners, like yourself. So far, there are enough owners and enough of them enjoy the car. That's all that matters.

My last post in this thread. Cheers :)

#41 ·
If this thread is NOT intended for those who own E65s, I think it would generate more meaningful data if it was posted over at the GENERAL board, not here.

I thought rost12 is moderating this board?

G
#42 ·
The HACK said:
If this thread is NOT intended for those who own E65s, I think it would generate more meaningful data if it was posted over at the GENERAL board, not here.

I thought rost12 is moderating this board?
Please feel free to move it. To General or Flame (now that it's become nasty).

#43 ·
I can only move threads in DIY forum. :dunno:

Email Clem or PixA4 or Jon.

#46 ·
I can live with the rear, but the eyebrow headlights just BOTHER me.

#47 ·
I think I'm warming to the car. I don't mind the front all that much, the eyelids aren't all that bad IMO. The horizontal reflectors across the back annoy me to no end though (I also am also annoyed by the reflectors on the bumper of the E46 coupes, must be something about reflectors). The reflectors make me think of the new Honda Accords for some reason.

I've talked to people who would be in this market segment and they like the new 7-Series, so BMW must be doing something right.

#49 · (Edited)
E65

It seems that some of us have had our feelings hurt because the E65, a vehicle some have plunked down considerable sums for, has not been met with universal acclaim.

Get over it!

If you bought/leased an E65, more power to you!
Drive safely & enjoy the ride.
I hope you are happy with your decision.

On the other hand, my saying that the E65 is not a car I would spend my money on because I find the styling FU@KED UP doesn't make me a MFAH!.

The E65 to my mind does NOT evoke the impression of power & grace in the manner of it's predecessors.
From a distance it looks BIG. Just BIG.
Get closer and the front reminds me of the eyebrows of a cartoon character my children used to watch on a program called "Rugrats"
The rear simply defies analogous description. I certainly have never seen anything like it.
The sides have NO character at all; They are simply there, devoid of design influence.
The wheels IMO lack imagination. I have seen better styled hub caps in the automotive section of Walmart.

To be fair, the E65 has an astonishing ride for a car so large. At the same time, BMW has taken another step toward deadening the "BMW sporty feel" of it's cars. The ride is a step toward the MB/Lexus side of the spectrum. The concept of I-Drive was apparently targeted for computer literate "dot-com"ers that have more interest in saying "I have arrived" than to sport sedan enthusiasts.

Would I spend my money on an E65....NO. I cannot justify an expense of this magnitude for a car with so many design points which I disgree with.

Am I a MFAH, because I dislike your car? Perhaps in the safety of hunt & peck typing on the internet, I am.
Face to face, I doubt you have the courage to make that claim.

For when all is said and done, it is my opinion that rules my checkbook.

And OH YES, I can afford an E65.

The E65 was ugly when the first pictures were released.
The E65 was ugly when I parked next to one at the dealership.
The E65 was ugly when I raced one and beat it some weeks ago.

Have a NICE day:D

Regards

G
#50 ·
Re: E65

740iL Sport said:
And OH YES, I can afford an E65.

The E65 was ugly when the first pictures were released.
The E65 was ugly when I parked next to one at the dealership.
The E65 was ugly when I raced one and beat it some weeks ago.

Have a NICE day:D

Regards
I saw your car out at Curry's a few weeks ago. It's just such a great car.

While, personally, I probably would not have bothered with the turbo, the idea of a manual tranny E38 SP is really damn appealing. You have my respect for undertaking that project.

And how anyone, upon comparing an E38 SP to an E65, could find the E65 to be even remotely comparable in terms of beauty, presence or style is beyond me.

May there still be clean E38s available in a few years when I might have interest in/need for one. And then I'll have to see about a tranny swap... :D

#51 ·
I've seen two of these beasts on the road -both dark- and one in the showroom -also dark- and I'll say I like 'em better moving "in the wild" than I do on display.

Went out to dinner and a show with my wife on Friday and saw one pull up across the street ( my wife got a little p*ssed for spending more time watching cars drive by than looking at her. At least I was *talking* to her Take what ya get, woman :lmao: ).

Unfortunately, it parked so that a Galandawagen was blocking my view. Now, *that* is one ugly creature.

Back to the E65; I have never seen a car that provoked such mixed feelings in me. I see it once and I like it. I see it again and I don't. Parts of it are drop-dead beautiful; others, unbelievably hideous.

I've seen commercials (in general, not necessarily for the 7) that I've despised.
My wife says the advertising's done it's job because I remember the product.
I say, sure I do but for all the wrong reasons.

That's what BMW has here, I'm afraid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.