BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Headlights

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Ex-One 
#1 ·
How are the headlights, we are looking at an X1 that doesn't have the extra light package..will we see ok at night?? Car we have now is not so good...

#2 ·
BMW lights are lousy unless you get the xenons. It's worth the extra money.

#3 ·
I think it is really a matter of personal preference. Personally, HID headlamps are a must when I am looking for a new car. I think they provide better visibility. However, I don't think you will have a problem seeing at night with the halogens.

#4 ·
IMO HID are mostly marketing and a statement. If someone has aging eyes HID can help or hurt or have no effect if you live in a place with street lights on most roads and freeways. We've briefly touched on HID pro's/con's in another thread in more detail, might be worth searching for. For me though, the adaptive headlight feature is what sold me. I live in a very rural area with twisting roads plus runners, bikers and kids out at night in neighborhoods before or after sunset and the adaptive feature is very helpful.

#5 ·
I night tested the car and I can say that the headlights are ok. They are on par with most new car standard lights. If you are looking to see through the car ahead of you (IE illuminate the car and its forward passage as well) then you should upgrade the lighting package. It is well worth it.

#6 ·
If you are looking to see through the car ahead of you (IE illuminate the car and its forward passage as well) then you should upgrade the lighting package
You mean blind and disorient the driver ahead of you???

The standard lights offer very good visibility. One of my pet peeves is being blinded by oncoming HID's that are not aimed properly. If they are aimed to avoid blinding other drivers, low beam HID's offer no further visibility than halogens.

#8 ·
There are many people who have gone for the standard halogens, only to come back and post a thread along the lines of "How much does it cost to retrofit/upgrade my halogens? I wish I had gotten the Xenon upgrade but I didn't because <insert excuse here>"

If you live in an urban area with a lot of street lighting, then the halogens will suffice. If you drive in a more rural, xenons are a must. Don't worry about blinding others as headlights are required to have an aim or levelling adjustment* and BMWs with the xenons will have the self-levelling mechanism.

*Does not apply to North American vehicles

#9 ·
Listen....of course the xenons are better than the halogens. But, they cost an extra $1200 for the lighting package. If you're watching your money in these tough economic times, forgoing the lighting package is a good way to save some money. I got the X Drive 28i with X Line, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, satin alum rails and Sat radio. I skipped the lighting package and the tech package and walked away with a beautiful X1 for 36K. My iPhone 5 has great NAV built in and, for me, the halogen headlights work just fine. If you have money to burn, by all means get the xenons. If I had an extra 100K to burn I'd be driving a Porsche Cayenne Turbo instead of an X1. Buy what you can afford.

#10 ·
IMHO...FWIW...it seems silly to fork out $35,000 or more for a car that you won't feel 100% comfortable driving at night. If you can "afford" a BMW (because let's face it, we are not buying for practicality) then you can "afford" the $1,200 lighting package.

Just my 2 cents.

#12 ·
Then I guess YOU can "afford" every single option on your BMW. That'll put you at 50K. And since you're not buying for practicality and you're spending 50K, I guess you should just spend 80K and get an X6.

I actually did buy my car for practicality. I get the quality, speed, handling and fun to drive characteristics with the practicality of free maintenance, free loaner cars, great gas mileage, decent storage, and a roof rack system to carry my bike and kayaks. I'm also 100% comfortable driving my X1 at night with my halogen headlights. They work great. And when your xenons break, like they did on my 3 series coupe, it'll cost you $1200 each to replace. Me? I'll just run down to the local auto parts store and grab a new bulb for a few bucks.

#13 ·
Then I guess YOU can "afford" every single option on your BMW. That'll put you at 50K. And since you're not buying for practicality and you're spending 50K, I guess you should just spend 80K and get an X6.

I actually did buy my car for practicality. I get the quality, speed, handling and fun to drive characteristics with the practicality of free maintenance, free loaner cars, great gas mileage, decent storage, and a roof rack system to carry my bike and kayaks. I'm also 100% comfortable driving my X1 at night with my halogen headlights. They work great. And when your xenons break, like they did on my 3 series coupe, it'll cost you $1200 each to replace. Me? I'll just run down to the local auto parts store and grab a new bulb for a few bucks.
I meant no offense or disrespect.

I actually did buy a fully loaded X1 and yes I did look at the X6 X5 and X3 but the X1 drove better for my style. I prefer smaller vehicles but wanted some versatility and a fun to drive factor.

Btw if your worried about the cost of future replacement parts and maintenance you have the wrong badge on your car.

Again...just my 2 cents.

#17 · (Edited)
Personally, I got xenon for look, practicality, and re-sell value. Granted all 3 points are arguable, I believe Xenon w/ angel eyes gives the X1 a more updated look, higher lumen output, and higher resell value, especially when HID becomes more popular and could become standard equipment for luxury brand. I would not be surprised if BMW stop offering halogen headlight in a few years time. Just my $0.02.

#18 ·
Personally, I got xenon for look, practicality, and re-sell value. Granted all 3 points are arguable, I believe Xenon w/ angle eyes gives the X1 a more updated look, higher lumen output, and higher resell value, especially when HID becomes more popular and could become standard equipment for luxury brand. I would not be surprised if BMW stop offering halogen headlight in a few years time. Just my $0.02.
Very true. It's already standard on other non luxury lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.